Question concerning Mentors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning Mentors

Recently I asked a mentor a question and got some not correct information... when I brought it up to my GM I was told that the person was likely a person on my server with whom I was not on good terms with who was also a Mentor. My question and concern is this. Is it ethical for a mentor to be working on the same server that they play on? Wont this cause a conflict of interest? Wont their be favoritism? I personally think all of these things are valid points and that this issue should be looked into.

Originally posted by R222677122/Miata View Post
    Recently I asked a mentor a question and got some not correct information... when I brought it up to my GM I was told that the person was likely a person on my server with whom I was not on good terms with who was also a Mentor. My question and concern is this. Is it ethical for a mentor to be working on the same server that they play on? Wont this cause a conflict of interest? Wont their be favoritism? I personally think all of these things are valid points and that this issue should be looked into.
    There is already a rule that mentors are not allowed to "mentor" on their home servers. That doesn't guarantee that they don't. It is also possible that, if you are out of favor with someone, you could be out of favor with a mentor as well. And while, in a perfect world, their personal view of you shouldn't bias them in such a way, this is not a perfect world. That being said, I would, from past experience, reason that it is quite possible that you were simply given the wrong answer. You can ask 3 mentors the same question and get 3 different answers. There is quite a lot about this game that is open to individual interpretation. There are also a few mentors out there that really aren't clear on the game dynamics and will give you an answer that is far from correct, based upon their own lack of information. And lastly, for many of the players and mentors of this game, English is not their primary language and he/she may have been mistaken in his/her interpretation of what you were asking or lacking understanding, due to a language barrier.
    it is far more likely that one of those examples would be the reason for the misinformation than someone not liking you and giving you bad info, that could easily be checked by A) asking another mentor, B) questioning it here on the forums, C) asking other players on your server such as your guildmates, that you know are on good terms with you.
    Murphy
    S1 US EAST
    (S22 Lost Caverns)

Comment

Lol how your gm knows that is true? Is he a mentor too? I suspect a lot of people are mentors in my server but only way to know is joining r2 staff and meeting they there.

Comment

Well, mentors are not omniscient, they can make a mistake. As for mentors not mentoring their own servers, its kinda not working rule now with number of servers merged and with short number of mentors we have.
        But since we watching logs, its not like there can be conflict of interest or favoritism, cause if we find out this they will be punished.

Comment

generally I do ask "trusted" friends and guild members and since I don't hold grudges and tend to "trust" bug info information because it effects everyone... I asked in world chat. Also the person that answered was someone I *thought* knowledgeable and honest and I was unaware at the time of their mentor status... It is good that this rule does exist and I wish it was more enforceable... thank you fore the feed back

Comment

Originally posted by BelaGarcias View Post
            Lol how your gm knows that is true? Is he a mentor too? I suspect a lot of people are mentors in my server but only way to know is joining r2 staff and meeting they there.

that isn't the only way... as for how long... that doesn't matter... my question and concern were addressed

Comment

Working...
            X