Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Guide] Mage: To Crit or Not to Crit: That is the question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Guide] Mage: To Crit or Not to Crit: That is the question?

I am currently a Level 64 Mage with a BR of around 43k. I decided to try out Crit just to change things up a bit and see what happened. My advice to any mage is do not get in a huge rush to become a crit mage. I would advise to become a crit mage when you are able to put together a Legendary Set such as lvl 50 Legend Set or a lvl 60 Legend Set, in which you can socket crit gems with every piece of gear you have. In my opinion you need to be able to have your critical at least 2k+ or it just isn't worth it.

Critical Mage build works great as far as getting you more Gold and Daru with World Boss and for MP Dungeon Play, but as far as pvp it just isn't worth it until like I said you are able to get your crit stats over 2k+. Anything less than that you will just not have a critical attack often enough to make a difference in your favor in player vs. player action. At level 64, refining gear as well as I could at the moment...and I only had two crit gems socketed...my crit was only at approximately 1500. When I did achieve a crit attack I put out great damage to the other player...but just wasn't often enough. For example...lightening bolt which I would normally put out around 9k damage with Will Destroyer on another player...if I didn't crit I would only put out around 5k or 6k damage which is significantly lower, yet if my bolt "done crit damage" I would put out around 12k damage, but didn't crit often enough to where it would help me.

In other words, in the long run I was doing way less damage than I was doing using Will Destroyer...in which you have way more consistent damage output. So, my advice to all you mage out there considering switching over to Crit Mage..."WAIT" until you can get a Legendary Set with an extra socket in order to be able to socket a crit gem in every single piece of gear you have...and refine your gear to where you have Crit in your gear stats.

Be patient...a "crit mage" can be a great thing when the time is right...so don't be in a rush. Save your crystaloids and such for when the time is right. In other words...your time will come as a crit mage when you will be able to put out a great amount of damage to other players.

As a level 64 Mage I recommend the following astrals...ALL ORANGE OF COURSE: MATK, PDEF, MDEF, Refined Goddess Blessing, Enhanced Will Destroyer, and either Enhanced Illusion or the Orange Enshieldment for blocking...personally I prefer orange Illusion over orange Enshieldment...but that is just my personal preference/opinion.

So to save some time and a lot of astral points wasted and a lot of gold wasted...be patient and keep Will Destroyer over becoming a crit mage too quickly.

I hope this short guide for a proper mage build helps all you serious magi out there wishing to become a very strong mage. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I am open for any suggestions or opinions that you guys may have.

Level 64 Mage
    Server 98: Highburn Tower

Crit is pretty nice. But i recommend 5k+ crit...
    As i've tried crit myself and i was not convinced to stay that way with 4k crit.

Personally, i have two builds. I have both the will destr build for pvp and i keep a high lvled determination and crit astral in my backpocket just for wb

Also if you're not imperial commander or lord divine, you should'nt even try to go crit...
    ~ Redoga ~

My very own detailed mage guide
    Choosing between EWD and Crit - a comparative guide
    My pathetic youtube channel
    -------------------> Latest video:

Comment

Completely agree!!! ...like I said it works wonders with world boss for the extra gold and daru...but other than that...you simply just need to be patient when you can build your crit mage the correct way.

Comment

Originally posted by Linazz View Post
        As i've tried crit myself and i was not convinced to stay that way with 4k crit.

Personally, i have two builds. I have both the will destr build for pvp and i keep a high lvled determination and crit astral in my backpocket just for wb

Also if you're not imperial commander or lord divine, you should'nt even try to go crit...
        Agreed. I'm a LD knight and i've tried crit build on WB it's definitely superior to destroyer dmg wise. Then again, it's only on WB. Like you said, 5k+ is the recommended number to be able to do really well in pvp. I wouldn't recommend anyone below IC (Imperial command) or LD (Lord divine) with no crit refine stats on gear to go crit build. You may ask why? For the extra offense, you lose some defense hence more squishy.

Comment

yes darrylim...wayyyy more squishy haha. 5k crit is a good number...and in time when you can get your crit to that number...a crit mage will be wonderful. As i was just now looking at cross-server rankings...the highest ranking Magi for the most part all seem to be using crit now...with the highest ranking mage crit being a little over 3k. There is one particular mage I was looking at in the cross-server rankings that I believe has the correct build in my opinion, with a crit gem socketed in every piece of gear, refined gear, the works.

Comment

3k is low. In europe cluster there is 5070 crit mage.

Comment

I agree with that as well Arintal...The main point I'm trying to get across here is to not become a crit mage too soon. Wait until you have a Legendary Set so you can become a Crit Mage the proper way...and that if you try to be or become a Crit Mage with very low crit in your stats...you are cheating yourself of being a much stronger mage going with the Will Destroyer astral build. ...

...trying to save magi and future magi the pains of wasted time, gold, and astral points...

Comment

Crit mage will also get a small boost compared to will mage with red astral, since only crit get boosted... I would not want to try crit until you have... 4k or around that in crit.

Comment

Originally posted by R27162503 View Post
                  Completely agree!!! ...like I said it works wonders with world boss for the extra gold and daru...but other than that...you simply just need to be patient when you can build your crit mage the correct way.
                  These two posts sum up for me how crit and mages should mix.

For WB all the time and for everything else - only once a lot of crit can be stacked up. Patience is the key. Like it is to everything else in this game.
                  Originally posted by CreamySaucepan
                  You are just a freakozoid... Monster of Frankenstein meets Jabba the Hutt... Frabba the Huttstein... :P
                  Originally posted by CreamySaucepan
                  Behind every fat Space Slug is a blood thirsty sociopath urging it on.

Comment

Agreed.

Most players that go critical mage go for 4500+ crit or more for it to be affective. If below that you have higher BR but will lose to lower BR players in PvP. You should go for Will Destroyer or have a mage that will get beat time and time again. I wouldn't do Critical until I had a 60 or 70 legendary set. Players that don't are weak.

Comment

3k crit is just fine actually, but that leaves a lot of defense lacking. So saving a crit and determination astral for wb is about the best way to go. I've tried crit mage with level 8 sniper and determination lvl 5, and I lose about 2k damage, so until i can make that up in matk, i wont bother with pvp crit. I mean, if Im only getting 2-3k hits with will destroyer lvl 7, why bother with crit? better to keep what damage I can for pvp.
                      Death comes when you hear the Banshee.....

Comment

I've been crit mage since I was like lvl 30
                        Never use will destroyer in my entire career as a mage in wartune lol XD
                        No Sign

Comment

Working...
                        X