Announcement

Collapse

Website Instability

We are aware of the issue with the website being unstable. The issue is currently being worked on. We thank you for your patience in the meantime.
See more
See less

Playing Wartune On-The-Go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Wartune On-The-Go

I just bought a Windows 10 mini-laptop(10.1" screen) . It's basically a tablet with detachable keyboard. I live in a Wi-Fi *desert* so Wi-Fi isn't really an option for me unless I happen to be near a fast food place. My ONLY internet access, is via my cellular stick, and has been for several years. If you have access to Wi-Fi, more power to you. Anyways, I had a little trouble getting this newfangled tablet-thingie to recognize my USB stick, but after several attempts, my USB stick finally introduced itself to Windows 10, and Windows 10 embraced the VZ Access Manager software my USB stick offered up.

The first thing I did after getting online, was to download Internet Security software.

I then tried to D/L Firefox, but kept getting the message that "smart screen" says it's not safe to download.(?)

I wound up downloading Opera, then D/Ling Adobe Flash for Opera, and VIOLA! Here I am, playing Wartune on a cheapie Windows tablet. From ANYWHERE. No Wi-Fi needed

Just an FYI for anyone that's interested.
    Last edited by EsmeWeatherwax; 02-14-2016, 06:40 AM. Reason: edited to make it from a concealed sales talk to something that would be allowed here.

I actually downloaded a flash browser for my cell, it's not the fastest one, but perfect during work to just pick up, harvest henna or something. Really only time you need a good setup is for di basicly, and tok. the rest works fine with a 3 years old or newer phone.

Comment

Esme Weatherwax, "Concealed sales talk" Really? I *drive* for a living, and have *nothing* to do with Walmart, Verizon or RCA. I was being specific for the benefit of the members here. Whatever.

Comment

I am no fan of the tablet or anything smaller than a laptop since I wanted gaming to be big (hence why I am docked to a 55in HDTV). However, if a person makes a finding known, it's rather not to be edited since someone else who might have that same brand, network, etc. could have find the steps very useful in solving their problem.
        Vicious! Approach with Caution!
        Because some noob has called me such and had said it so
        Mobile Strike Player: Base 1102 / Com 550 / 672* Power / VIP 1300
        Dissidia Final Fantasy - Opera Omnia: Rank 60

Comment

Originally posted by Meikura001 View Post
          I am no fan of the tablet or anything smaller than a laptop since I wanted gaming to be big (hence why I am docked to a 55in HDTV). However, if a person makes a finding known, it's rather not to be edited since someone else who might have that same brand, network, etc. could have find the steps very useful in solving their problem.

I couldn't stand having a screen that big even in 4k resolution. I prefer sitting around 2' or less from the screen so the largest I would go is a 27" monitor and the resolution would be a minimum of 1440p(WQHD). The drawback to using HDTVs is you're locked in at a 30-60Hz refresh rate due to the HDMI port on graphics cards, so if you ever want to play something that requires high FPS in order to keep up with all of the graphics, its not going to look as nice and can affect your game performance. 1080p would be really pixelated on a 55" HDTV unless you can sit far enough back. I'm not sure about 4k at 55", but I would imagine its not something you would want to use for high FPS games either. HDMI still has a lot of catching up to do before it comes up to par with Display Port capabilities of monitors. Some HDTVs do support refresh rates greater than 60Hz. I've seen Vizios having 120-240Hz refresh rates, and I saw another(don't recall what brand it was) that had over 600Hz refresh rate. Nevertheless, that's for the TV itself, and there aren't any graphics cards that I know of presently that support a refresh rate over 60Hz through the HDMI port.

Comment

Originally posted by TolapPumj View Post
            Nevertheless, that's for the TV itself, and there aren't any graphics cards that I know of presently that support a refresh rate over 60Hz through the HDMI port.
            I believe any card that supports HDMI 1.4b or higher can support 120Hz @ 1080p. I'm with you though, 1080p on a 55' HDTV can't look too good.

Comment

I am no fan of the tablet or anything smaller than a laptop since I wanted gaming to be big (hence why I am docked to a 55in HDTV)
              Me either, but when you spend literally 50% of your life on the road, M-F, as I do, a 10.1" mini-Windows laptop w/unlimited cellular internet access beats the hell out of nothing, or even a
              smartphone, for that matter.

However, if a person makes a finding known, it's rather not to be edited since someone else who might have that same brand, network, etc. could have find the steps very useful in solving their problem.
              THANK you!

As I said, I was being specific about the tablet, OS, browser, and internet access for a REASON - my sole motivation was to share the info with other players here
              and am NOT selling *ANYTHING*. While I know I have only a handful of posts on this forum, I've been playing Wartune for 2 1/2 years and counting.

I'm "scoob" on server US 80 East.
              Class advancement finished
              Working on Knighthood

Comment

Playing on-the-go? Man, I have some very bad news for you...

Comment

Oh I do remember the days of being able "on the go" that a laptop with a USB Internet Card had gone a long way. This was like 5-6 years ago when the company was afloat. Most of the times, I would try to entertain myself as I am waiting for other vendors to finish up their work so I can do mine (turning up, testing, troubleshooting networks and connections was my thing - then it was phones and VoIP much later). Now I am pretty much on the discount bin with just a trusty laptop and a large screen (which I do other stuff on it as well). And yes, there has been quite a few <expletive> brands/models of TV. The best one I had was on a 51in. Samsung HD3DTV-P+1 via the HDMI port before an untold accident (well it bonked me on the head on a move/install) puts it in storage (hoping to repair it one day). I am only repairing it since it has PiP which this one or any other doesn't have anymore.

Maybe I am just an old dog behind a console who has yet to learn about the miniature world of networking.

Comment

I am only repairing it since it has PiP which this one or any other doesn't have anymore.
                    Most newer/higher end TV's don't have PiP because of technological limitations so much as poor market forces; less people are interested in them. If you are using a computer with an HDTV as a monitor, there are a number of programs you can use to simulate PiP.
                    Last edited by Alsatia01; 02-15-2016, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Please check out the new oled large screens. Their refresh rate is stupid fast and they can handle anything the current games use.

Comment

Originally posted by WvilThor View Post
                        Please check out the new oled large screens. Their refresh rate is stupid fast and they can handle anything the current games use.
                        The latest and greatest HDMI 2.0 caps out at 4k at 60Hz (making the increased refresh rate pointless), or 1080p @ 120Hz (which can't look all that great on a large HDTV). High end computers and modern consoles (ps4/xbox1) will not see the benefit, the only place you will see a noticeable change, is when watching TV/Movies. Save your money and wait for the HDMI technology to get improved.

Comment

I still have VHS movies that I watch via the coaxial port (of when I had my old Samsung with PiP technology) while doing things on the computer. Before, I went with the Genie for my HDMI TV, I had used Coax for my TV watching while doing the same thing. I even had the DTV tech rigged me a device that will run to coax so I can use the PiP, but a failed reinstall (had the thing hit me on the head when I tried to realign it, and the screen broke) had made me put it into the storage. Family went and got me a 55 LED but I am not liking it very much since I do miss the PiP aspect that I had to switch sources if I want to watch TV/Movies/Etc.

I may decide to buy me a TV capture system so I can run that virtual PiP aspect if I wanted to either watch TV or VHS movies while on the computer. But that's going to be on a different system since my laptop can go up to 8GB for memory. Or I can just get the replacement screen, repair it, install it carefully next time, and have at it.... which leaves me the question, what am I going to do with the 55 LOL.

Comment

Working...
                          X