United States based servers and language barriers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United States based servers and language barriers

First and foremost, this topic might come off as racially and ethnically charged. You might view me as "ignorant", "xenophobic", or at worst, "racist." I frankly do not care about your opinion of me or my preferences or beliefs.

I'm first of all curious as to the lack of English speaking, American players on US based time-zone servers. I understand for some Americans, English is not their native language. My feeling in that, is that it is less embarrassing and more polite to atleast make an attempt to communicate in a regions adopted, standard language than it is to use your native language in world channel, current channel, party channel and guild channel. Broken English does not offend me, and I am more than happy to help or work beside someone who makes an effort to use English than someone who is speaking Indonesian, Portuguese, or Arabic.

Secondly, I'd like to know why all these players seem to flock to servers that are at best eight hours out of their time zones and at worse twelve or more. The memory leaks from flash are bad enough without the incessant ping issues that must occur from playing from halfway across the world on a west coast, US based server.

I'm curious to know what R2's official Terms of Service policy is on language usage in game is. I doubt it is based on server region, but it really should be. What isn't considered offensive to some players, might be considered highly offensive to others. I consider it highly offensive to be using arabic in world chat given recent circumstances and developments here in the states. I don't like to stereotype, but I can't read Arabic, and it goes far beyond the boundaries of annoying, such as the case would be with people using Indonesian in chat. I don't know if two people talking to one another are discussing a plot to bomb a shopping plaza when they're typing in Arabic.

Are there any US based servers that are populated primarily with American, English speaking players? I feel like the minority on my server, which is a recently released one. I feel that I shouldn't have to be a minority on a server based in my own country of origin. I feel like Indonesian players should be playing on southeast asian servers, and Arabic players should be playing on European servers (I highly doubt any gaming business would locate any server in a region so volatile right now).

These are the kind of things that weigh on my mind whenever I think of recharging. The game provides enough content, it's engaging enough, but whether I put in a long term investment into this game will depend largely upon it's community of players. When you see so little English being spoken, and as an American you are caused to feel anxiety, alienation, and separation from the players on your realm because so few of them connecting are actually playing from the United States, it makes me re-think my order.

It makes me think, "Why would I spend ANY money at all on a game that makes me a minority on a server based in my own country?"

us west, us east are timezone based. not your country first of all. so you forgot about the frech speakers up north, spanish and portugese down south. if you count those up alone english speakers are allready a minority. IF lingo is a problem for you. feel free to block it by blacklisting.

Lastly. you do realise this is internet, browser based game that attracts players from all over the world. not a game off chess in a barn in a village near you :P
    Kabam -57 Archer
    Kabam -67 Knight
    Non casher and proud of it.

Comment

R2 provides games in English, in several time zones, to everyone in the world. While the game is in English, and it is preferred everyone use English, English doesn't have to be used in chat or on the forum. Support for English games is in English, so English does need to be used in tickets.

Most players select time zones based on what time of day they are most active and which events they want to be present for, and sometimes that means being on an opposite time zone from where you live. Others end up on the newest server without realizing what time zone it's in, but they've already made some friends or got off to a good start and don't wish to start over.
      New R2 Community Discord Server: https://discord.gg/VFMzFDqKq5

Received a random forum error? Refresh the page first, sometimes the error message is the error.

Some inboxes are broken, including mine. Please don't send me private messages at this time.

Rules of the Forum are found here.

R2Games Ticket System for browser games: https://www.r2games.com/support

Comment

Originally posted by DevilAnse View Post
        The memory leaks from flash are bad enough without the incessant ping issues that must occur from playing from halfway across the world on a west coast, US based server.
        There is no memory leak in flash. It's automatic 'junk' collector is quite efficient.

If you still wish to assert otherwise, you can contact Adobe. They would happily pay you tens of thousands of dollars (not kidding) to resolve such a devastating issue.

Comment

I'm sympathetic, but really, as long as you join an English-speaking guild, it shouldn't be that much of an issue. World chat is inherently limited, so it can't be that big an imposition on you. My server has a fair number of Brazilians, and a handful of Russians for some reason, but mostly everyone chats in English. But it is a dying server, so I can't really recommend starting up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alsatia01 View Post
            There is no memory leak in flash. It's automatic 'junk' collector is quite efficient.
            Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe "memory leak" is the name they use for collecting junk. I was never a paid programmer, but worked with some, and one told me this story for lag/junk/freezing/etc. ...

The computer uses memory, and when done, 'cleans' the memory used. Some things slip through the 'clean-up cycle' and becomes wasted memory (this is what I believe "memory leak" refers to). The wasted memory builds up and gradually slows the system, until it becomes desirable to reset the computer to clear the memory.

Is that fairly accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by R2111470937 View Post
              The computer uses memory, and when done, 'cleans' the memory used. Some things slip through the 'clean-up cycle' and becomes wasted memory (this is what I believe "memory leak" refers to). The wasted memory builds up and gradually slows the system, until it becomes desirable to reset the computer to clear the memory.

Is that fairly accurate?
              Yea, you essentially nailed it.

Adobe says there's no leaks on their end. Though I suppose they could just be pulling an R2 and shifting the blame to avoid any responsibility.

*Shrug*

Edit - The memory leak is name for the memory that's lost their references, the 'junk collector' isn't generally a synonymous term. Several programming languages don't have them at all (and are thereby more prone to memory leaks, because it's up to the programmer to free up the memory).
              Last edited by Alsatia01; 06-15-2016, 08:50 PM.

Comment

if u are so annoying by other ppl language then why not quit , realy it will be relieve for us
                ofcoures Broken English won't offend you , u will be busy laughing
                how about u try to play in arabic game , and try to speak arabic so arab players don't feel offedned by ur native language
                it's a good thing to help ppl if they are interested in learning english , im one of them but others don't need it in thier real life and not interesting in learning it
                so u consider arabian are terrorist,so if a bad guy did a bad thing so that's bcs he is arabian not bcs he is a bad guy ?!!

because we love to play this game we don't feel offended when u speak english as we can't understand it ...
                and yeah u r a racist
                they came they were there they didn't hesitat ))

Comment

First and foremost, this topic might come off as racially and ethnically charged. You might view me as "ignorant", "xenophobic", or at worst, "racist." I frankly do not care about your opinion of me or my preferences or beliefs.
                  I'm curious to know what R2's official Terms of Service policy is on language usage in game is. I doubt it is based on server region, but it really should be. What isn't considered offensive to some players, might be considered highly offensive to others. I consider it highly offensive to be using arabic in world chat given recent circumstances and developments here in the states. I don't like to stereotype, but I can't read Arabic, and it goes far beyond the boundaries of annoying, such as the case would be with people using Indonesian in chat. I don't know if two people talking to one another are discussing a plot to bomb a shopping plaza when they're typing in Arabic.
                  dude, what the fork?
                  Originally posted by Wraithraiser
                  Welcome to R2 forums. Where quality is nonexistent and quantity is only measured in the number of whines a single day can produce.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlad View Post
                    I consider it highly offensive to be using arabic in world chat given recent circumstances and developments here in the states. I don't like to stereotype, but I can't read Arabic, and it goes far beyond the boundaries of annoying, such as the case would be with people using Indonesian in chat. I don't know if two people talking to one another are discussing a plot to bomb a shopping plaza when they're typing in Arabic.
                    dude, what the fork?
                    Whoah, I missed that paragraph. I rescind my statement of sympathy.

It makes me think, "Why would I spend ANY money at all on a game that makes me a minority on a server based in my own country?"
                    Totally agree, you shouldn't spend any money in this game. Or time, as that might be an implied support of the presence of foreigners who speak other languages. Or any contact with strangers, anywhere online, as they might be foreign. Or any contact with anyone, even in person. America is packed with immigrants and descendants of immigrants, you never know when they might use non-English words. They might even be in your own family!
                    So in summary, never interact with anyone again, and your problems are solved.

Comment

DevilAnse.....Do you remember back in elementary school being taught.."In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue"? On 1 of those ships your ancestors came to this great country known as America. We all are "immigrants" of this country. You may have been born here, but did not originate here. Just as some Arabs...they did not originate here, but some have been born here. So it is their country also.

Comment

I dont mind people who speak other languages. Im lucky and can muddle along with several and I have google translate for the rest. And think about it. If you learn say ten phrases in the language you can say the things you need to play wartune with them.

Comment

Originally posted by spincycle View Post
                          DevilAnse.....Do you remember back in elementary school being taught.."In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue"? On 1 of those ships your ancestors came to this great country known as America. We all are "immigrants" of this country. You may have been born here, but did not originate here. Just as some Arabs...they did not originate here, but some have been born here. So it is their country also.

And of course slaughtered many of the Native Americans and continued to displaced them until there was only small reservations left.
                          Don't it always seem to go
                          That you don't know what you've got
                          Til its gone
                          They paved over their arses
                          And put up cities of crime
                          Dooo whop whop!

Comment

Lol…DevilAnse, i've read some hilarious posts, but this one takes the cake.

Wisdom: Read a bit more in the forums and learn a bit more about the game before you spend your money.

You shouldn't be highly offended at the use of another language. Try and learn another language so that you can actually be more intelligent and even more helpful in bridging the language barrier……..

Yes, there are servers with many english speakers but if you have gotten onto a very new server, you'll have to wait for servers to merge before you see other (english speakers).

Comment

Working...
                            X