Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Guide] Browser Setup Guide (Also known as anti-lag precautions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Guide] Browser Setup Guide (Also known as anti-lag precautions)

You may well have already played the game and noticed major lag in fighting sections of the game and most noticeably in multiplayer sections of the game. You will however note that although some of this can be attributed to poor internet access (e.g. peak times such as evenings & Saturdays) you will note that it happens at all times and that your hard disk light goes crazy or just stays on for long periods. This guide will help you reduce or avoid this problem in furture. I would recommend following the advice if you experience issues rather than just as a standard thing as new or newer computers will most likely not have any issues.

NB: You could be loosing 20% of performance related rewards in the game due to lag (e.g. in World Boss), or even loss of additional achievement rewards (e.g. 0.3%, 0.5%, 0.8% & 1%) due to miss timing attacks due to lag.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC Requirements:

You require a Dual Core PC, any will do from Pentium D onwards. However a Pentium 4 CPU and before will not cope.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Upgrade
    1) I would recommend using Firefox as your Browser for playing the game. Common fixes for FireFox not working, or Firefox Safe Mode & Reset
    2) You need to ensure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Shockwave Player and Java for your chosen browser. I would also recommend updating your network card and graphics card drivers too. Run Firefox Plugin Version Checker
    3) Run chkdsk /r on your C:\ drive (I found corruptions in the indexing of the Firefox cache which when repaired by chkdsk reduced hard drive usage). Explanation below:

Chkdsk
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Error Checking Tool Alternative (NB: Will need reboot)
    XP or Vista/7

Flash Player & Firefox Cache Settings Changes
    1) You will need to right click on the game screen area when game is loaded and select "settings" (These are Adobe Flash Settings). On the first tab deselect "Enable hardware acceleration" and on the third tab make sure your Local Storage is listed as unlimited. Then click "close". (NB: It should be off if your hardware doesn't support it and on if it does. You can tell which the answer is as the wrong option is slower in operation. I've assumed it was on and you're having issues).
    2) In Firefox "Options" go to the "Advanced" tab and tick the box "Override automatic cache management" and then enter a cache limit of 512MB or 1024MB. The game alone uses 200-250MB (since update 1.45) so allow for other programs to use the cache.
    In Chrome life is a bit more difficult however this link explains how to control the location and size of the cache in Chrome:
    Changing the cache location and size (NB: You shouldn't need to change the default location, however I would recommend ensuring that it is located on the fastest hard disk in your PC which is normally C:\)

NB: The cache for Firefox and Flash will empty themselves once their automatic limits are hit and this is probably what is causing the issue. The hardware acceleration deals with Flash crashing, which when it does empties the cache.

Also NB: Firefox resets the settings when it does an update so you will need to check on these settings after any updates.

Delete Old Server Data
    Some users have played on other servers and so you may wish to either increase the Firefox cache size by 150MB per server instance or you may wish to chose to delete the data entirely from the cache. To delete just one server instance do the following:
    1) Right click on the game screen area when game is loaded and select "Global Settings" (These are Adobe Flash Global Settings).
    2) On the Storage tab, click on "Local Storage Settings by Site..." button
    3) Scroll down and click once on sXX.wartune.r2games.com (where XX is the server number of the server you wish to delete, as per S25 is s25.wartune.r2games.com)
    4) Select the "remove" button which will delete the cache for that specific server.
    5) Then click "close", and then close the manager window.

Start New Browser Instance
    If you do changes with browser still open, it is worth closing and starting a new browser instance.

Additional but Temporary - each new browser instance
    The previous changes reduce the hard disk usage and subsequent lag. The following changes appear to increase hard disk usage however it spreads it out more evenly and propritises the display and input for the game therefore making the game run smoothly.

The following changes are temporary, and you must do the following each time you open a new browser instance:
    1) Open up "Task Manager" (Run taskmgr)
    2) Go to "processes" tab
    3) Right click on "Plugin container.exe". A box will pop up that tells you either End Process, End process tree or Priority. Select "Low Priority".
    4) Right click on "FlashPlayerPlugin_11_4_402_287.exe". A box will pop up that tells you either End Process, End process tree or Priority. Select "High Priority". Do for both processes of same name! (NB: Win XP does not show this but rather "FireFox.exe" is very heavy usage instead and is probably the service running Flash instead, therefore may be worth listing that process as "High Priority" instead). If you use Chrome you will need to place all "Chrome.exe" processes as "High Priority", which can be approx 4 process.
    NB: I'm looking into a suitable and easy solution to make this easier for people.

NB: This may be an alternative fix for Flash's new protected mode for Firefox which can be turned off:
    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071
    I will do a test comparison between the two methods.

Perminant Priority Solution?
    I've located a program called Prio which claims to allow you to save your priority change request.
    Prio Software
    I'll continue to look for a non-download solution.

Regular PC Upkeep
    Weekly Tasks
    1) Run Disk Defragment
    This tidies the drive so that it is in an orderly fashion and files easy to find. Kind of like tidying your desk.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

Monthly Tasks
    1) Run Firefox Plugin Version Checker, and other driver updates.
    2) Run Disk Cleanup
    This is where the system gets rid of unwanted junk. Kind of like clearing out your draws of the rubbish :-)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
    3) Run CHKDSK/Disk Checker (as previously explained)

Flashing Crashing?
    This seems to be caused by a corruption in the cache and I would recommend deleting the Flash Cache. To do so follow the above "Delete Old Server Data" selecting the current server. Then reload the page. You will of cause suffer from initial lag as the new data is downloaded when enetering areas for the first time again, however you will hopefully have less occasions of Flash crashing.

I have run tests on these settings and seen significant over game play improvement. I can confirm I have reduced the quantity of regular Flash Player crashes. World Boss normally worst affected has become smooth and increased each attach run by 10-20% gold/daru commission due to be able to carry out dual runs which were previously hard or impossible to do due to the irregular momentum of the game caused by the hard disk usage.

This advice should stop your PC from constantly downloading new data and also reduce/spread your hard disk usage and thus in turn reduce lag!

Hope everyone finds this helpful.
    Last edited by S37-Glimmer; 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM. Reason: Crashing Flash Update
    Wartune
    Name: Glimmer
    Guild: Valhalla (was in Fire&Blood)
    Server: S37 The Bloodlands
    Class: Knight
    Lvl: 53

--------------------------------------------------

Browser Setup & Anti-Lag Guide

very nice....i guess this is really helpful
    FREEDOM IS THE RIGHT OF ALL SENTIENT BEINGS

Comment

OMG, thank you for this guide, i swear my game is running 100% faster, loading is almost instant and the player actually runs faster while doing campaigns. I always wondered if my game lagged because it would seem to run normally. However, i discovered while doing grouped dungeons that after a fight my teammates would already be steps ahead of me before I see my character would load onto map. Now i'm ahead of them or at same pace. Thanks so much +1 i really wish you would get a contribution bonus for this and many other follows your guide, as there are so many people that have lag issues, and probably have lag issues but don't know it (I'm one of them that thought i didn't, but actually did). Can't thank you enough enough praise to S37-Glimmer !!!

Comment

Originally posted by csLeestyles View Post
        OMG, thank you for this guide, i swear my game is running 100% faster, loading is almost instant and the player actually runs faster while doing campaigns. I always wondered if my game lagged because it would seem to run normally. However, i discovered while doing grouped dungeons that after a fight my teammates would already be steps ahead of me before I see my character would load onto map. Now i'm ahead of them or at same pace. Thanks so much +1 i really wish you would get a contribution bonus for this and many other follows your guide, as there are so many people that have lag issues, and probably have lag issues but don't know it (I'm one of them that thought i didn't, but actually did). Can't thank you enough enough praise to S37-Glimmer !!!
        Thanks for your kind words. I get frustrated with people complaining all the time, and few taking up looking at the guide. Tell everyone you see, and get them to let me know if they still have issues and if they can what the issues are. I think though that this is probably most of it especially for Firefox and Chrome at this time. I will try and update it as new versions of flash and browsers come out. Obviously this doesn't solve basic hardware issues that people have with slow hard disks and CPU's and low memory, but for the majority it should work. As you mention you can even thing you've nto got lag and yet after making these changes it's amazingly different. I've even managed to do Knights Combos in dungeons and catacombs not only with the World Boss which I put down to my changes allowing for correct timings.
        Wartune

Comment

Bored to read lol.

But to say on topic. I tried several browsers on several PCs. And Google Chrome is fastest...

Comment

how can i play the game?.. im in dubai loading and playing the game is not working?.. maybe the site is block...

Comment

server 35 cannot Log in game

Comment

Google chrome is the faster browser for playing

Comment

I get too much lag with Chrome. It was especially frustrating when I run multi dungeons and after EVERY battle, my party moved onto the next fight when my screen finally finished refreshing.

I tried Firefox, and multi dungeons run much smoother, but my inventory, astral, and other screens take so long to load, it was ridiculous.

Finally, I tried IE and got better results. Simple dialogs load quickly (much better than Firefox) and multi dungeons run smoothly (much better than Chrome). I still see lag in BG but I'm guessing that is an intractable problem.

Comment

Any tips for mac users? I'm having issues ever since i downloaded the new update for flash...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMajor View Post
                      Any tips for mac users? I'm having issues ever since i downloaded the new update for flash...
                      I'd love to but not owning a Mac limits me on advice for you. That is apart from recommending a PC instead
                      I'll read up on it and see if I can mind out anything which may be helpful to you.
                      Wartune

Comment

ya right google chrome faster
                        Last edited by R22999548; 11-18-2012, 04:26 AM. Reason: ok
                        XxsesukexX

Comment

Originally posted by R22999548 View Post
                          ya right google chrome faster
                          With my changes firefox becomes faster, however without changes then yes Chrome would seem quicker. But probably also more prone to flash crashes too.
                          Wartune

Comment

when this game in loading mode
                            I was stuck in loading game ..
                            T_T

anybody can help me ?

Comment

Have you carried out the advice on this guide? Or just asking without following advice? Most people find the advice contained in the guide solves that issue.
                              Wartune

Comment

Working...
                              X