[GUIDE] Mage building (advanced)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Mage building (advanced)

Hello Wartune community! My name is Redoga. I am a lvl 70 mage and an active player on S49.
    In game i get alot of pm's from people asking for help/guidance to all different aspects of the game. I answer them all with pleasure.
    Now to make some things easier, i made a guide for all those people that still need some help concerning the Mage Class. You don't have to read everything. If you are searching for a certain aspect, check the Table. Note that this guide covers both freeplayers and cashiers!
    Enjoy my guide and have fun playing the game!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Redoga 55.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1733775
    Ancient picture

Table
    1. Mage introduction and basics
    1.1 Stats
    1.1.1 Gems
    1.1.2 Astrals
    1.1.3 Refines
    1.1.4 Enchantments
    1.1.5 Mount
    1.1.6 Academy
    1.1.7 Talents
    1.1.8 Enlightment
    1.2 Skills
    2. How to play the Mage Class
    2.1 Group Arena, Slaying regular mobs in MP dungeons, Running Solo Dungeons
    2.2 MP last boss, Catacombs boss floor 50+
    2.3 World Boss

1. Mage introduction and basics

The mage is probably the most squishiest class in Wartune, though he excels at tanking magical attacks because of the high MDEF bonus you get.
    In group arena's as well as in MP Dungeons the mage will mostly be placed in the back.

1.1 Stats

I will go over this very fast. There's not alot to say about this.
    Your most important stat is MATK. This should ALWAYS be your highest stat.
    MATK will, in most cases, be followed by MDEF.
    PDEF is very important as well. Since 2 out of 3 classes deal Physical damage you can not afford it to ignore this stat. And you WILL need PDEF when fighting the giant Eyeball in the Catacombs. I see alot of mages just focussing on MDEF for this aspect of the game. The Eye deals Physical damage when he smashes down on you repeatedly.
    Don't ignore HP.

This is an example of how a mage's stats look like.

Name:	Stats.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1733706
    You can see some crit in here. This mage has some work to do on his refines

1.1.1 Gems

-With Socketing Rods: Gem MATK, PDEF, HP/MDEF. On legendaries; obviously go HP and MDEF.
    -Without Socketing Rods: This is not the way to go. Try to obtain socketing rods by spinning the Guild Wheel, opening battleground treasure boxes....

Name:	Gems (2).jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1733974

1.1.2 Astrals

As in any other game gold is really important in Wartune.
    This gold you make will either go in Talents, Contribution, Enchantments or Astrals.
    Astrals are really important and you can't go without them. Every player can hold up to 8 astrals depending on your lvl.
    A Mage should not go for a crit build; unless you want epic heals (heals can crit and will heal more). Crit is for Archers mainly. Get a Will Destroyer in stead. It will benefit you greatly.
    I ordered the astrals you are going to equip when hitting 30,40,50,60... When you hit lvl 25, you will be able to equip 2 astrals.

1.) MATK
    2.) MDEF or PDEF
    3.) PDEF or MDEF (If you had the luck to obtain the orange Will Destroyer, use this in stead.)
    4.) Enhanced Will Destroyer if you haven't already got it, else equip the last defensive astral you need. (disables the chance to crit, but makes you deal X% more dmg on every strike)
    5.) Refined Goddess Blessing (decreases dmg taken by X%)
    6.) Pristine Enshieldment (works very good with imperial commander or lord divine title)
    7.) Guardian Angel, Deflection or Brilliance (depends what you like more; If you have alot of hp, you should take deflection. If you lack hp, go for Brilliance. Having problems with archers? Get Guardian Angel.)

Once you hold the astrals you need, you might want to get a crit astral and determination aswell at the side; for World Boss purposes only; as crit rate is increased against World Bosses!!

Name:	astrals1.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1736325

World Boss astrals (Replace Will destroyer and ... )

Name:	astrals2.jpg
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1736326

1.1.3 Refines

These are the green stats shown on your gear.
    Priority is Intellect, Defense and MATK. If you have these as a noncashier, you're going the right direction.
    If you are willing to use some balen to make your refines better, mark the little box on the right next to a stat you want and click refine (it will save the marked stat and only refine the others). Get Intellect, Defense, MATK, PDEF and Endurance/MDEF.

Name:	Refines.png
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1733709 As you can see here: rather okay green stats for non cashier; but keep putting your luck to the test if you have more refinement crystals to use.
    Cashiers will want to refine until they get stats similar like these, then save everything except the stat you don't need (crit in this case) and refine until you get another stat you could use (MDEF or Endurance).

1.1.4 Enchantments

Always enchant your gear: it will get you mass bonus stats. This can cost you alot of gold. Use lhigher lvl Lucky stones for enchanting to 12+ if you have any. When you upgrade your gear into legendary (18+), you better use lvl 9 luck stones because the price gets so high you can't really afford to lose 300k gold.

Name:	Enchantments.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1733710

1.1.5 Mount

Simple: focus on Intellect and keep Endurance and Armor on equal heights.

Name:	Mount.jpg
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1733712

1.1.6 Academy

In the Academy you want to prioritize MATK, MDEF and PDEF, but DO NOT ignore your Troops Stats! Troop PATK gives you an edge in WB fights and Troop Count will give your Troops more HP. You will want Troop MDEF as well as Troop PDEF: When fighting in the BG or in the Dual Arena it is important to keep your troops alive as long as possible because Single Target spells like Bolt (mage) and Arrow Strike (Archer) will have 2 chances out of 3 to hit your Knights in stead of you. BUT DO NOT USE SUNTORIA OR RESTORATION IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE THIS! Level Troop MDEF/PDEF and Troop Count in stead!
    Endgame, just max out your academy.

Name:	Academy.jpg
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	1733719

Endgame Academy

Name:	academy.jpg
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	1736327

1.1.7 Talents

Talents are deffinitely worth it: you do not want to get stunned!!
    Thus it is recommended to lvl your Holy Seal to a bare minimum of 5... But this is actually way to low. Get 8 at least (personally mine is 12 as you can see on the ss).
    Regarding the other talents get barrier ofcourse!
    Another talent you might want to get is Focus (bolt has 5% chance to reduce rage consumption of the next skill by 50%, lasts 2 rounds). I recently removed this talent because i wear a PVE set (20-30-40-50-60 gear). As it gives you bonus rage on each hit; you don't really need focus on top of Castinator and the Ring bonus. The talent point is better spend in Holy Seal, Survival or Barrier.
    The last talent i would get is Survival. This one really helps in 1v1's and the 10 rage it could give is always welcome.

Barrier: Damage received decreases by 5%
    Focus: Lightning Bolt has a 5% chance of decreasing your rage consumption by 30% ; lasts 2 rounds. Note that it is actually 30% and not 50% !!
    Survival: Increases cooldown time of restoration by 5 seconds (up to 20 seconds in stead of 15) and increases healing amount by 20%. Has a chance to restore 10 rage to the target.

Name:	Talents2.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1734192

1.1.8 Enlightment

As enlightments you should obviously go for MATK enlightment.
    Some people might ask themselves why? It says it converts troop MATK to bonus matk for your character. But as mages use knights and on 50+ Templars; they don't have any MATK. Yes I know, it says it takes troop MATK but in fact it just takes troop PATK OR MATK depending which troops you have. So you're safe to take the MATK enlightment.
    Keep lvling it up if your troops are your lvl.

Name:	enlight2.jpg
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1736025

Name:	enlight.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1736024

1.2 Skills

Your most important skill is Rain of Fire (RoF). This should be maxed along with Lightning Bolt.
    At lvl 38 you will be able to unlock a second skill tree for 950 balen. A second skill tree is really important for the Mage Class because of Multiplayer Dungeons lvl. 50+ and Catacombs (to remove the debuffs). You will make a Priest page (healer oriented) from this second page.
    If, however, you do not have the money to unlock the second skill tree, it is best to go for a hybrid build.
    Here's what you should work to.

Damage spec lvl 70

Name:	dmg spec.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1736328

Healer spec lvl 70

Name:	heal spec.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1736329

Hybrid lvl 66

Name:	jybrid2.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1736344
    As you can see you can have this completely healer build at lvl 66. At lvl 68, Max out Meteor.

In the next sections i will explain when to use what page.

2. How to play the Mage Class

2.1 Group Arena, Slaying regular mobs in MP dungeons, Running Solo Dungeons, Battlegrounds, Duel Arena

Damage spec

Focus on dealing as much AOE damage as possible using RoF (primary skill) and Meteor (secundary) skill.

2.2 MP last boss (and first 2 if it is needed), Catacombs boss floor 50+

Healer spec

Your primary focus is to keep your team alive: Actual players in MP as well as your knights in Cata. Use suntoria at the beginning of the fight. Try to keep your Rage high using Bolt (and Rage Runes) and Heal a single member with Restoration or your full team using Blessing. Use purification* whenever it is needed. This is really important in MP's lvl 50+. Try to time your Purification right so that your team won't lose alot/any HP from the boss' Bleed.

Catacombs tips

Name:	Catacombs.jpg
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	1733817

Purification: Some people prefer not to use purification. In my opinion it is worth using if you can't afford to lose more hp (because of the -50% MDEF etc... buff) and have some spare Rage. If you have full HP and you are low on Rage, do not use purification: choose Rage over Health in this case. If you are low on Health and low on Rage... You are most likely going to die ^.^

2.3 World Bosses

Damage spec(AOE page).

Because gold and daru is very important in Wartune, you should attend as much WB's as you can. In this section i will explain to you how to get the most out of your mage in that 15 minute time span.
    Mages don't do well at WB's. This is the Archer's territory. But if you link properly, you should be able to get a good amount of gold and daru aswell.
    If you have a Sniper astral and an orange Determination, IT IS better to replace your Will Destroyer for Determination during the WB event. The damage output is much greater.
    Good skills to use during wb is Thunderer, RoF and Lightning Bolt.

Rotation:

This used to be a good rotation for the mage.
    - Open with Meteor
    - Auto-attack - Bolt
    - Auto-attack - RoF
    - Auto-attack - Bolt
    - Auto-attack - Bolt
    - Auto-attack - RoF
    This is an ancient rota though. There are better ones out there at the moment.

Here's a video sample to show you how the rotation goes.

You can see i put myself in front of my troops. Do this when you can take his hits. Why? Because from experience i know that if you're knights are in the back, they will double more than they would when they are put in front.

Next one is a more up to date rota I have been using ever since I completed my pve set.

Alternatives

A rota i sometimes use when it gets laggy is what we like to call the Speedy Chimp
    Why do we call it the Speedy Chimp? Because it is fast and even a stupid monkey could figur out this rota
    Basically what you do is open with Thunderer and then double lb's all the way by speeding up the world boss' and your attack animation.
    This will make your attempt end very fast (less gold than the other rota('s)) but because it is really fast, you'll make more attempts, which will result ending with a good amount of Gold and Daru.

I am ending my guide here. I'll update this whenever i have a new idea or when i see an interesting suggestion in the comment section below.
    I hope you guys learned something out of this. If you have any questions or if there is something i forgot to add or if i made a mistake somewhere post whatever you have to say on this thread or PM me ingame (S49).
    Do you have any suggestions? Feel free to ask for help!

Thanks for reading this! Enjoy the game!

Ignore trash below
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Linazz; 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM.
    ~ Redoga ~

My very own detailed mage guide
    Choosing between EWD and Crit - a comparative guide
    My pathetic youtube channel
    -------------------> Latest video:

Thumbs up mate , keep the good work going

Comment

pretty good guide, but for non casher mage and mage who still trying to growing up some of ur guide totally wrong ...

by the wrong guide i mean is Catacombs and World Boss
      u dont use puri in catacomb , 1.waste rage , 2.waste 1 turn , 3.waste +12 rage gain
      u dont use meteor in wb bcoz the casting time is long and toon is slow , but yea get 1k more gold , and u lose 10sec of wb bcoz of it

edit; for the one who wanna start win floor 100 use charisma gem/astral , pdef not really needed
      Last edited by terayaki2; 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM.
      [S1] Temple Of Ibalize
      NasrulEyo
      Mage
      Havoc

"I'm Moving Forward Bcoz Of Friends , Ty For Supporting Me Friends & Havoc"
      U can submit a here
      My guide

Comment

i dont read all info, but that u wrote about WB seems kidding, 2 hits to every troop enought, so for what u reccomend increase charisma i dont understood, after 5 WB (turns if i not wrong muxt be 5-6) he use Ultimate so its 100% death, why u think that in gem build HP better then full PDEF+MDEF? for suntoria? how often u use suntoria in pvp? HP wo block rate or def = waste yr slots

when i see ppl with charisma astra or gems im just laught, this stats usefull only in cata in other ways its useless , in pvp bcs troops have low def, so its HP very fast go down, on wb i already said

on stats paragraph screenshot of yr mage stats? btw if u said that crit useless (i agree, but crit build have place in this game) so crossover useless stats on screenshot

i understood that guide just for activity reward, but pls chech for grammar this text, even i with my very-very-very bad english knowledge see it
        class balance ****
        cash - noncah balance ****

so game ****? - ye

dont choose mage, bcs mage sux class!

Comment

Originally posted by akirayama0ka View Post
          i dont read all info, but that u wrote about WB seems kidding, 2 hits to every troop enought, so for what u reccomend increase charisma i dont understood, after 5 WB (turns if i not wrong muxt be 5-6) he use Ultimate so its 100% death, why u think that in gem build HP better then full PDEF+MDEF? for suntoria? how often u use suntoria in pvp? HP wo block rate or def = waste yr slots

when i see ppl with charisma astra or gems im just laught, this stats usefull only in cata in other ways its useless , in pvp bcs troops have low def, so its HP very fast go down, on wb i already said

on stats paragraph screenshot of yr mage stats? btw if u said that crit useless (i agree, but crit build have place in this game) so crossover useless stats on screenshot

i understood that guide just for activity reward, but pls chech for grammar this text, even i with my very-very-very bad english knowledge see it
          -the longer ur troop survive the more damage dealt aka more gold/daru ...
          -PDEF/MDEF isnt working in WB ...
          -Suntoria is working fine in Group fight , if u have good team (tanker/archer) its help u win ..
          -Mage dont need Block unless if we had Knight passive block+hp regen (but tis ur choice)
          -crit mage build overall useless in group arena fight , u can try and see how long u survive and see how many time u can crit
          -nobody perfect , at least he can speak english ...
          [S1] Temple Of Ibalize
          NasrulEyo
          Mage
          Havoc

U can submit a here
          My guide

Comment

Thanks for pointing some things out
            Last edited by Linazz; 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM.
            ~ Redoga ~

My very own detailed mage guide
            Choosing between EWD and Crit - a comparative guide
            My pathetic youtube channel
            -------------------> Latest video:

Comment

Originally posted by terayaki2 View Post
              -the longer ur troop survive the more damage dealt aka more gold/daru ...
              ye right, forget about this

-PDEF/MDEF isnt working in WB ...
              u test this? so can u explain me how WB damage depends ? why damage nor constantly , why lvl 30 get 9,8-8,6 (mage) on 40 lvl get 7,6-6,8?

-Suntoria is working fine in Group fight , if u have good team (tanker/archer) its help u win ..
              working fine vs who? vs nu-de ppl, wo GS, on 10 lvl low or what? u use suntoria spend 30 rage for HoT 1-1,4k (lvl 50) or better spend 4 rage for RoF wich deal to all (2,5-3,4k dmg)*2 ? again theoretic ?

-Mage dont need Block unless if we had Knight passive block+hp regen (but tis ur choice)
              mage dont need block? why? bcs knights have passife for restore hp? lol? more block more surviverable vs any type of attack, more syrvive more damage over time right? right omg

-crit mage build overall useless in group arena fight , u can try and see how long u survive and see how many time u can crit
              i dont test crit build, i said it have place in a game, why not? again only bcs archers have passive bonus? awesome logic

-nobody perfect , at least he can speak english ...
              ok i with bad english, n i speak with man with bad english knowledges...what chance that i can understand him? i think more chances if 1 of them i or he will have excellent english, so i even can use translater , but if he have mistakes even that not helped, so this buildlist can be useless for ppl who didnt know english

p.s. sorry for offtopic Linazz
              Last edited by akirayama0ka; 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM.
              class balance ****

so game ****? - ye

Comment

i dont say i lose a turn , but i lose a time , 10sec is a lot in wb
                [S1] Temple Of Ibalize
                NasrulEyo
                Mage
                Havoc

U can submit a here
                My guide

Comment

i dont say i lose a turn , but i lose a time , 10sec is a lot in wb
                  anyway u will be wait for last hit if u wanan test yt luck so its spend time, imagine that is time wich u spend for waitin time on last hit
                  class balance ****

so game ****? - ye

Comment

hmmm , since i never waiting for last hit idk
                    [S1] Temple Of Ibalize
                    NasrulEyo
                    Mage
                    Havoc

U can submit a here
                    My guide

Comment

with a spare crit astral, a mage can crit upwards of ~50% of the time. don't forget that RoF & Meteor hit multiple targets twice each, so there are plenty of chances for a crit to happen. also, Restoration and Blessed Light both CAN CRIT. a crit heal can nearly fully heal a dying teammate, and can be extremely tide-turning.

but that being said... crit is basically RNG; aka betting on your luck. there will be good days and bad, like when the bolts in your RoF-bolt-Meteor (PvP) combo fails to hit the enemy hero (you want your bolts to hit the enemy hero since your AoE can easily wipe out the troops) and yet the enemy archer manages to keep hitting only you instead of your troops....... i digress.

to be clear, Will Destroyer only modifies DAMAGE - it does absolutely NOTHING for heals. this is very unfortunate... and it means that since Crit astrals have a chance to improve your heals, Crit astrals are somewhat better than Will Destroyer healing-wise. nevertheless, Suntoria does not work based on the caster's MATK in any way, so if Suntoria is your main heal spell, Will Destroyer is okay.

.... and now on to mage's 2 unique spells: 1. Suntoria, 2. Damnation.

1. Suntoria works based on TARGET'S HP, so it actually works very well with knights and archers since they have +20% HP passive; extra well with knights because their passive also gives them extra heal. to maximise the benefit of suntoria, the caster himself should also have decent HP (hitting 15k+ is pretty standard @ lv40). with lv2 suntoria (5% per turn up to 7 turns QTE), you are healing 750-1k hp per turn, for 5-7k hp over the full duration... in 1v1 situations, this is as good as 750 PDEF/MDEF, as the opponent's dmg is cut by how much you heal. casting suntoria at the start of Group Arena fights can actually turn the tide, essentially giving your team 3 x 7k hp more. if you use suntoria a lot, then i would strongly recommend HP astrals over Block. HP grants guaranteed sunt heal, whereas block is purely RNG (almost like hoping for a crit to kill off the enemy; here u hope for a block to save your life).

2. Damnation inflicts damage based on a FIXED VALUE -- it ignores MDEF altogether! this is obvious when u fight in dungeons... your bolt hits smaller guys for much more than the big boss, but Damnation will hit all of them for the same amount. this means that damn has its place in pvp as well. if you find yourself facing a tough team with high MDEF, damn them! not only would damn hit harder than your other spells, it also buffs ALL damage done to the damned targets. the amount gets very significant with each rank in the spell. there is only one modifier for Damnation's damage: medals. if you are an Elite Warrior, but you have weaker stats than an enemy Champion, this is when Damnation really shines.

nonetheless, damn hits only once (unlike RoF and Meteor, which hit twice) so the rage cost is significantly higher. starting off with damn might set your suntoria back quite a few turns, so unfortunately these 2 are not compatible in short PvP matches.

hope my little sharing helps!

there are many ways to play mage (most flexible class imo) and all may excel in varying situations. i'm pretty sure a mage who receives an orange block astral and decides to play high-block mage might succeed too. my mage with just 15k hp can take 3 hits from WB if she dodges twice... so, go figure! try things out~
                      Last edited by alveolate; 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akirayama0ka View Post
                        ye right, forget about this

u test this? so can u explain me how WB damage depends ? why damage nor constantly , why lvl 30 get 9,8-8,6 (mage) on 40 lvl get 7,6-6,8?

working fine vs who? vs nu-de ppl, wo GS, on 10 lvl low or what? u use suntoria spend 30 rage for HoT 1-1,4k (lvl 50) or better spend 4 rage for RoF wich deal to all (2,5-3,4k dmg)*2 ? again theoretic ?

mage dont need block? why? bcs knights have passife for restore hp? lol? more block more surviverable vs any type of attack, more syrvive more damage over time right? right omg

i dont test crit build, i said it have place in a game, why not? again only bcs archers have passive bonus? awesome logic

ok i with bad english, n i speak with man with bad english knowledges...what chance that i can understand him? i think more chances if 1 of them i or he will have excellent english, so i even can use translater , but if he have mistakes even that not helped, so this buildlist can be useless for ppl who didnt know english

p.s. sorry for offtopic Linazz
                        -yep i do , why dont u try pot up and scroll up in wb and put urself tank wb ...
                        -working fine vs MightyDavid and Piking
                        -block ? gem ? hmmm not really i prefer block on astral not gem
                        -yup bcoz archer have that passive and the logic is logic , why would u gamble on damage that not surely crit but sacrifice ur def u will surely 100% got hit hard ? so will destroyer is better , surely give constant high damage
                        -ur grammar urself sux lmao
                        [S1] Temple Of Ibalize
                        NasrulEyo
                        Mage
                        Havoc

U can submit a here
                        My guide

Comment

-yep i do , why dont u try pot up and scroll up in wb and put urself tank wb ...
                          -working fine vs MightyDavid and Piking
                          -block ? gem ? hmmm not really i prefer block on astral not gem
                          -yup bcoz archer have that passive and the logic is logic , why would u gamble on damage that not surely crit but sacrifice ur def u will surely 100% got hit hard ? so will destroyer is better , surely give constant high damage
                          -ur grammar urself sux lmao
                          nas, better to use illusion astral than loading up with block gems or block astral lol

and like what you said, mages do not need to have block rates, we will rely on complete dodge (illusion astral which procs quite good in battle)

i do favor hitting hard every turn than waiting to land a crit for once. equipping will destroyer is better than trying to crit.

Wartune Retired
                          IGN: Senjuu
                          Server: S1 Temple of Ibalize
                          Guild: Immortals

Yitien
                          IGN: Senju
                          Server: S5 Buddha's Dome, S7 The Golden Summit
                          Clan: S5 Moon, S7 EXODUS

I'm a non casher player

My Guide/s:

File a support ticket here:

Comment

Originally posted by Senjuu View Post
                            nas, better to use illusion astral than loading up with block gems or block astral lol

and like what you said, mages do not need to have block rates, we will rely on complete dodge (illusion astral which procs quite good in battle)

i do favor hitting hard every turn than waiting to land a crit for once. equipping will destroyer is better than trying to crit.
                            ya
                            but im still thinking which astral to put for 7th slot , if i put block , might be good in group fight and kinda helpful against archer ...
                            reduce crit chance only good against archer, but helps a bunch xD
                            or charisma , to counter knight :/

P.S i wanna troll someone not u senjuu , crit and block have place in game , how about patk ? its have place in game too ? use it on mage lmao
                            [S1] Temple Of Ibalize
                            NasrulEyo
                            Mage
                            Havoc

U can submit a here
                            My guide

Comment

Let me laugh hard when you use patk for mage.
                              That completely dumb one XD
                              And I see some mage that actually use that for mage .__."
                              S24 - Reaper's Illusion
                              IGN - Vein

Comment

Working...
                              X