Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Company Dev Journal: PAX East Preparation and Setup

Company Dev Journal: PAX East Preparation and Setup

Going to a convention like PAX is a lot of work for a developer, you probably know that, but to what extend is what we’re going to tell you today, we’re also going to show you what you can expect when you go to our booth! If you don’t like knowing how the sausage is made then you should probably stop reading here…………. Still with us? Fantastic, because it’s really interesting!

First, this will probably be your version of going to our booth at PAX:

So, you go to a convention like PAX East, you walk by a few booths and then see a booth that looks a lot like this one... Except it won’t be CG!

You of course instantly stop and tell the people at said booth that they’re awesome, hand them a cold drink and sing their praises. After that though, you probably want to play the game. For you it’s a fantastic chance to try out a game, talk about what that game is about with the developers and the other people at the booth, and get some swag (if you’re lucky/a bad enough dude). We hope the process repeats a couple of times throughout the convention.

Those three days on the show-floor, however, are the culmination of months of preparation and development for us. In that time we’ve done an amazing amount of things that we’ll go over later, but before that we’d like to talk to you about a specific part of preparation: booking interviews and previews! (We have new stuff to show you, hooray!)

One of the most time-consuming things that we do in Marketing is booking and scheduling meetings with the press. We want to make as much CoS material available to you as we can, and to do that, we need to talk to pretty much everyone who’d like to show you. Because both devs and the press are almost always fully booked at conventions, every minute counts. That means that from three to four weeks before the convention, we start contacting and being contacted by members of the press that are interested in covering the game. This is usually a pretty busy time around the office, but we've been really happy about the contacts we've made this time around. We think you’ll like what you see when the coverage starts rolling in! Despite our press schedule, you won’t have to worry about the booth being understaffed -- our PAX crew is four Mechanists strong, and only two of them will be occupied with interviews at a time!

Besides organizing appointments, preparing for a convention like PAX means renting or buying computers, the booth itself, a sound system, monitors & TVs, headphones, swag... shipping all of that swag to the convention center, assembling the booth, setting up the demo computers... and most important of all, getting a good night’s sleep before the convention actually begins (otherwise, you might end up like Gab, pictured below). It can be a bit overwhelming sometimes, with long days at the convention after weeks of crazy prep, but it’s always absolutely worth it.

So at last a bit more information about the our presence at PAX East. As you can see in the rendering, for PAX East we’ve got four computers for you to try out the game on and a fifth driving a larger screen for trailers and such. That way, you can play the game's solo-content to your heart’s content, but we’ll also be able to group everyone up and do a dungeon!

So that’s what you can expect from us at PAX East, and we hope you enjoyed learning a bit about how we prepared for it. If you’re going, then we wish you a happy con, but if you’re unable to attend, we know there will be a lot of great coverage coming up for those missing out on the PAX party.

Thank you for reading, we’ll be back soon with a PAX recap Dev Journal!

Last edited by CoS_Frank; 03-23-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Knight of Knowledge Sattelizer is considered so-so around these parts. Sattelizer's Avatar
    I do believe someone, not naming names, decided to photo shop his face onto the last photo.

Guys this is so awesome, and I'm really excited for you all. I hope you have a great time at pax and GDC. Oh and what cold drinks would you prefer?
    Coming to you live at www.twitch.tv/sattelizergames!

I also have my own website at www.sattelizergames.com

Benefactor Ambrossia is considered so-so around these parts. Ambrossia's Avatar
    Wow.. looks like you guys have it going on.. Good luck to you guys! And we want pics when you guys get back.. lots of pics!
    Fuer grissa ost drauka ~Richard Rahl

It's fun to do the impossible! ~Walt Disney

May the sun warm your soul, the moon light your eyes, the fog mystify your mind and the wind carry your spirit. ~Ambrossia Lynn

Thanks for updating us we demand pics and stories galore. We want adventures in con fun from places you guys ate at to places you stayed at while there. Let us know how set up and events in the con went, As well we want to know why fem_gab is on the screen and not live??? 0.o rofl
    Support Sites maintained by me:
    lazygamerz.org
    cityofsteamwiki.com
    CoS Cookbook
    All of these support sites are designed and ran in support of the City of Steam game.
    http://www.images.lazygamerz.org/images/YBL2PedIAA.png

The pic is the best part of the post. :3

Priest of Pontifications CrashbangGearcrunch is considered so-so around these parts. CrashbangGearcrunch's Avatar
    My wife and I had a great time talking to Brian at PAX East today. (I'm the teacher who was interested in using games to teach curriculum to students, my wife was the girl in the wheelchair.) The game was awesome during the closed beta and from what I saw on the floor the open beta will be even more spectacular.

I took a picture of Brian when he was talking to another congoer, but I daresay it rivals the image in this thread's original post so I hesitate to share it.

That picture was a photoshop made by me, please don't hesitate to post any pictures you made in this thread, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Also, thanks for coming by, I've not talked to Brian yet but I will as soon as I get the chance.

Knight of Knowledge Levest is considered so-so around these parts. Levest's Avatar
    I see goodies! I wish I was there... I'm disappointed, there's not even a Toiler poster to resemble my presence

Levest28 - City of Steam Game Master
    http://www.images.lazygamerz.org/images/8N5wPrU3ie.png

woot there it is! pics *wants more* where did you guys eat at while there. where did you stay at and how was the stay? did you have any stories to tell us of cool geeks doing weird geek things.
    Support Sites maintained by me:
    lazygamerz.org
    cityofsteamwiki.com
    CoS Cookbook
    All of these support sites are designed and ran in support of the City of Steam game.
    http://www.images.lazygamerz.org/images/YBL2PedIAA.png

Priest of Pontifications CrashbangGearcrunch is considered so-so around these parts. CrashbangGearcrunch's Avatar

You asked for pictures...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast