Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Dev Journal - Off to the Wilds We Go!

Design Dev Journal - Off to the Wilds We Go!

“It’s a wilderness out there and someone needs to tame it… this someone is you!”
    -- Officer R. Jost, Nexan Guard

The Nexan Archeology & Geology Society would hereby like to formally unveil the newly (soon to be) enterable areas, the N.A.G. Society would like to point out that with this addition the size of the ever expanding city of Nexus® has now increased by exactly 18.74532%, or quite a bit as the common folk like to say. So without further ado, we’d like to pull back the rug and introduce to you:

Name:  IronwastesHeaderDave.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  181.1 KB

The Wilderness! (Wait, is that a fist boss? No, that’s a real boss!)

“But Mechanist,” we hear you say. “Don’t we already have ‘wilderness’ instances in places like the Dustyard and Scraphills?”

To which we chuckle condescendingly, replying: “Oh, no no no.”

This new type of level is going to be a public area, so instead of going in with a group limited to 5, you can be in there with dozens of people, killing mobs, doing quests, all while getting loot and XP. These levels are also the link between suburbs, so if you want to travel from for example The Refuge to Heartland Road, you can take the Wilderness route to kill some mobs and get some shinies while you’re at it.

Even though the basic concept of the wilderness is a giant open level with respawning mobs, there’s more to it. There are going to be public events in these areas, random rare mob spawns and some other things we’ll talk about soon. The areas being public also mean that you’ll sometimes be fighting for mobs; well, we might eventually have a way to settle your differences in there... We have some other ideas brewing that we may share at a later time.

Now, on the levels itself, the first wilderness level you’ll get to experience is the Ironwastes:

Name:  WildernessGroup.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  216.7 KB

Location - outside the Refuge, before Heartland Road

“When settlers first came to Nexus, they assumed this area to be an Ironwaste -an area of the Mechanism that had its earthen layer scraped off exposing the granite like metallic landscape underneath. Later, this was found to be untrue, and the sands that cover the area are rust deposits that have drifted down from the Spire. However, the name Ironwaste remained, as travelers learned to be wary of the native necromantic energies that filled the area.”

Name:  Wilderness.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  240.8 KB

So there you have it, the Wilderness! There’s more information coming soon, but we hope you’ve got a good first look at what we’ve been making and planning for a while now. We’re all very excited about what we can do with this public area for you all and we’d love to hear what you think in this topic!

Check out our last Dev Journal about PAX East preparations and setup here!

Name:  CoSDevteam.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  9.6 KB
    Last edited by CoS_Frank; 04-08-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Knight of Knowledge Rune and their posts have made people go 'meh'.
    Seriously. Damn. Beta. Now.

That last picture really sums it all up.

I don't know what else to say, except "please now"?

Knight of Knowledge Sattelizer is considered so-so around these parts. Sattelizer's Avatar
    I will admit, my interest had started to wain due to me not being the biggest fan of closed spaces I.e. dungeon crawlers, but with this update I'm pleased to say I'm back with renewed vigor. Damnit frank, if you guys keep this up, I'm going to go broke. I'm already salivating at the mouth wallet inhand.

I am so impressed with you guys, you have no idea how exciting it is to watch you guys grow with your game.

Keep it up!

-Satt
    Coming to you live at www.twitch.tv/sattelizergames!

I also have my own website at www.sattelizergames.com

Priest of Pontifications CrashbangGearcrunch is considered so-so around these parts. CrashbangGearcrunch's Avatar
    A wasteland you say? Well I'm sure there's all kinds of cool things I can scavenge up here and WHY ARE THERE SO MANY SKELETONS?! RUN! RUN, FOR YOUR LIVES!

Knight of Knowledge Sattelizer is considered so-so around these parts. Sattelizer's Avatar
    Quick hide in that castle!
    Coming to you live at www.twitch.tv/sattelizergames!

I also have my own website at www.sattelizergames.com

What does loot do in these regions?
    Despawn after a short timer?

Edit: BTW, neato.
    Last edited by Aldones; 04-08-2013 at 06:44 PM.

@Aldones: Yeah, that's what loot does in CoS in general.

@Sattelizer: Then you'll be happy to know that we've got quite a few more of these planned and with a few more features as said in the article, more on that later though!

@Rune: You know, constructive criticism is and will always be very welcome... so if you want to say something. "Please now" is a pretty good one as well though.

Mage of Multitudes Tapout is considered so-so around these parts. Tapout's Avatar
    You cannot run from the Skeleton King!! Wow this looks so great
    If you would like to play a City of Steam game Rpg maker style check this game out that I made in tribute to City of Steam.
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/ta2x360

Mage of Multitudes Xaviien is considered so-so around these parts. Xaviien's Avatar
    This is definitely one of the better changes I've read about, especially with the future option of open PvP.I'll have more feedback once I've had a look from the inside... wink wink nudge nudge say no more.

Knight of Knowledge Rune and their posts have made people go 'meh'.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoS_Frank View Post
    @Rune: You know, constructive criticism is and will always be very welcome... so if you want to say something. "Please now" is a pretty good one as well though.
    I am no stranger to constructive criticism (see Rune's Rantings and Ravings 1-10), but cannot give it until I have tested this new feature :P

But here: How does this effect framerates?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast