Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: So You Want to Know about the Beta Release?

Exclamation So You Want to Know about the Beta Release?

So! Here we are then, the moment we’ve all been waiting for:

Name:  2013.4.25OBTAnnouncement.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  394.0 KB

You’ll be able to play City of Steam again on May 10th; in just two short weeks you’ll be able to walk the streets of Nexus once more!

It’s been a while since we’ve opened up the game to all you fantastic dudes and dudettes (cowabunga!), and we’d like to invite you to once again join us and test the game before the live version is launched. Now you’re of course all saying: “But hey, you said that you were going to do Open Beta next!” …we still are! This is a prelude to that. Think “early admission”. Let’s run you through some of the details:

• This is an exclusive ‘early access’ type of Beta; we’ll be using keys again and we plan to open it up as soon as possible. Newsletter subscriber? We’ll send you a key, guaranteed.
    • Relax Collaborators, you will have your guaranteed spot, and a head start.
    • This will be a continuous full-time Beta, except for some inevitable maintenance and patching down-time.
    • This is a ramp-up to the Open Beta. Depending on issues and feedback, this could end pretty quickly after May 10th. (Though not within a week, you silly goose!)
    • A character wipe is not planned; if there is something REALLY problematic that pops up we might have to, but we will try to avoid this at all cost.
    • We’re going to start off with 3 classes (Gunner, Arcanist, Warder) and 4 races (Heartlanders, Stoigmari, Avens and Ostenians) and build up to the 4th class (Channeler) and the 6 other races throughout the early access Beta.

The reason we’re starting with 3 classes and 4 races is not because we hate your guts or anything; far from it! It’s because it’ll allow for more focused testing of content and that’s exactly what is needed right now. For you long-time vets reading this, think of how we gradually introduced each race back in the Alpha test. We’ll go into a bit more detail about what else we’ve changed soon but for now we’ll tell you this: we have a new skill/talent system, a new crafting system, new zones/suburbs, lots of new peripheral content, way more CoSmetics, improved the challenge dungeons, added an events system, introduced The Wilderness and there’s still a lot more that we’ll reveal later. During the Beta, we’ll also roll out some of those new areas and systems, you know, the ones we’re not going to tell you about yet. Soon though, soon we will reveal all (…most?) of our secrets.

Name:  FemBike.JPG
Views: 1186
Size:  182.1 KB

So, TLDR:

• We’re launching our ‘early admission’ type of Beta on May 10th.
    • This is a key supported ‘prelude’ ramping up to Open Beta.
    • Newsletter subscribers will get keys.
    • Collaborators will have guaranteed access.
    • This is a continuous Beta, not just weekends.
    • We’re starting off with 3 classes and 4 races and building up from there throughout the Beta.
    • We’ll have more information about new content and changes soon (Dev Journals!)
    • Do you want more of these TLDRs? (They’re kind of nifty, aren’t they?)

People who have tested the game with us before (Sneak Peek, Alpha, Closed Beta) will be invited into this test automatically. However, want in on the action and have not registered yet? Do it, do it now! Want a key for early admission? Sign up for our Newsletter, on the right-side of the page (just look over, it’s under a bar called “Get Email Updates”). Or if you don’t see it, you can also click here.

Thank you all for joining us in this wild ride we like to call “development and testing”. We hope to see you in the Forum, but most of all soon again in the grand city of Nexus!

Name:  CoSDevteam.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  9.6 KB
    Last edited by CoS_Frank; 04-28-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Warder*

Mage of Multitudes Tapout is considered so-so around these parts. Tapout's Avatar
    YES YES YES!! You guys rock! Been checking in everyday for this very post
    If you would like to play a City of Steam game Rpg maker style check this game out that I made in tribute to City of Steam.
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/ta2x360

City of Steam Developer CoS_Gab is considered so-so around these parts. CoS_Gab's Avatar
    Hehe, we're just happy to finally have it out there! The wait was nail-bitingly stressful on all of us

Hey everyone!

I suspect you just read the topic starter or the news post on the front page, if you didn’t and skipped straight to this post then I’d like to tell you that I’m flattered, but you should really read it. Anyway, yes, we’re going into Beta again on the 10th, just two short weeks!!

So, what I and the rest of the dev team would like to know is quite simple:

Do you have any questions? I mean, it’s totally fine if you don’t and just want to sing our praises, but all of us devs are here to answer those burning questions you have and to celebrate the joy and despair that is getting ready for a public build! (Believe me, it can get quite hectic) You can also send Gab or I a PM or go through some of the other channels that the more old-school fans have available... if you dare!

We are incredibly happy that we can (finally) reveal this new version of the game to you all.

Also, website post is being kind of fiddly (a pain in the ***) we'll have it fixed soooon! Please wait with linking and facebooking and stuff until you see that one

FIXED, TELL THE WORLD NAU!
    Last edited by CoS_Frank; 04-26-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Knight of Knowledge TheAuger is considered so-so around these parts. TheAuger's Avatar
    This is wonderful news.

With as many changes as it seems there may be, having another "closed" testing phase is a good idea.

Just a few questions:
    -With the forum switch & the issues that arose from it, how can previous testers be sure their accounts will be linked to access?
    -Will there be a visible forum title/badge making it clear to previous testers that they definitely are flagged for access?

Herald of Harkenings Kribban is considered so-so around these parts. Kribban's Avatar
    Is there any time set for when the gates open? I mean.. if I need to call in sick or not..

Mage of Multitudes Tapout is considered so-so around these parts. Tapout's Avatar
    There have been a few of us that just had to get our CoS fix while waiting for this announcement and have dabbled in the Turkish version to see what it was like. How different will the English version be from the Turkish? Besides a language difference of course
    If you would like to play a City of Steam game Rpg maker style check this game out that I made in tribute to City of Steam.
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/ta2x360

Knight of Knowledge TheAuger is considered so-so around these parts. TheAuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kribban View Post
    Is there any time set for when the gates open? I mean.. if I need to call in sick or not..
    I think the previous testing dates started at either 4 or 6 pm PDT. I would imagine the new testing period will start around that time. I could be totally wrong on the time too, it has been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
    How different will the English version be from the Turkish? Besides a language difference of course
    Here is your answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by CoS_Frank View Post
    We’ll have more information about new content and changes soon (Dev Journals!)
    Last edited by TheAuger; 04-26-2013 at 04:35 AM.

City of Steam has NOT shut down. Go to www.cityofsteam.com

R2 Games is no longer publishing City of Steam, at this time City of Steam is offline until November.

Minstrel of Messages Gladaeff is just another poster. For now.... Gladaeff's Avatar
    Woo! Open Beta is here!
    Cant wait to get back

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast