Announcement

Collapse

Official Community Discord Server

Join us on the new R2Games Community Discord Server! https://discord.gg/VFMzFDqKq5
See more
See less

[Guide] Geek Guide to Lag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Guide] Geek Guide to Lag

    One of my fav lines during world boss is “LAAAAAG GUH!” and many blame the server.
    I, and many others, do not experience this thing called.. Lag. So, here are some pointers for you to check on before you do main activities such as group, world boss, battlegrounds.. etc.

    1. Refresh
    2. Clear cache
    3. Scrub RAM
    4. Turn off any programs that do real time bug checks (antivirus, malware.. etc)
    5. Dump cookies often
    6. Defrag often
    7. Pause Downloads
    8. Close down heavy programs
    9. Try different Browser (last resort)

    Most people want to do everything at the same time while playing an MMO. So going through a checklist is usually a good idea. If you do not do a whole lot of downloading/uploading, then go through some of the maintenance steps. Keep in mind, even with a good connection, everything you do can slow down, not only your internet, but your computer too.

    Clearing Cache
    For Google Chrome, the “customize and control” button is located right under the X button of the web page. Go to “Tools” then click on “Clear Browsing Data...”
    Cookies and clear cache should be checked, if nothing else.
    Hit the “Clear Browsing data” Button.. and that’s it!

    For other browsers, it’s pretty much the same.. you need to find tools and cache.


    Ram Scrubbing
    There’s all kinds of tools out there to scrub ram, but I personally like “Advanced System Care Free/Pro”.. it has all KINDS of tools to use and I’ve been using it for about 3 years. I don’t use antivirus or malware scanners.. just that. You can find it at cnet.com, which is a very trusted site.


    Defrag
    Windows has its own defrag tool that people often use, again, however.. I use “Advanced System Care Free/Pro” they have an independent defrag tool that also optimizes and does a “deep clean”.. very healthy for the computer.
    If you’re not familiar with defragging, here’s how to access the Window’s version.
    Start > Program Files > Accessories > System Tools
    Defragging once a week is advisable for the heavy user.

    For Win8, the path would be:
    Start Screen> type "defrag"> click on defrag

    Try Different Browser
    I have found that using one explorer to have trouble with doing one thing while another has trouble doing another. I am not familiar with FireFox and probably will not be, so if someone can offer insight on that area, please do so.

    IE (Windows included web browser) is kind of jicky about a few things. I have found Chrome better suited for Wartune.


    About the AntiVirus/Malware Programs
    I know a lot of you are very skittish about shutting your real time scanners down for any reason, however, let’s think about this logically. IF you do not do other things while playing Wartune and your real time scanners have NOT caught a virus from Wartune/R2games.. then isn’t it logical that it’s not going to and therefore safe to shut it down for these periods? The choice is ultimately yours, of course, but don’t expect to be able to run a real time scanner AND any MMO at the say time and still play fluidly.

    **NOTE: Please do not assume that not having an antivirus is a good way to do things.. it took me years to get to the point where I didn't need one.

    **NOTE: If running off of a wireless connection, it may get a bit choppy unless you have a good service. (ty Cassey)

    Vet Ambrozia
    Last edited by vets_Ambrozia; 11-12-2012, 11:56 PM. Reason: Win8 defrag correction
    May the sun warm your soul, the moon light your eyes, the fog mystify your mind and the wind carry your spirit.

  • #2
    +1 for this. I also suggest running on a regular ( every 3 days or so ) antivirus full scan as well as antispyware scan ( i suggest spybot search and destroy ) If you do some basic system maintenance you can run things lag free for the most part. I'm on a hp pavilion g series laptop with AMD phenom II 2.6g dual core LAPTOP with only 4gb of ram and windows 7. I can run 3 wartunes tabs and 3 CS tabs at the same time as well as IE for my forum moderator account and I suffer little to no lag on my laptop. Just goes to show that proper maintenance of your system will go a LONG way in allowing you to run things the way you want.
    Crystal Saga - S18 - Judgement
    Wrenboh, Allanon, Collboh, Ravenlock, Wrenbrogue

    Wartunes S1
    Wrenboh, Collboh - Judgement

    (Guildmaster Guide )
    (How To Submit a Ticket)
    ( Battleground Guide )

    Comment


    • #3
      A few other tidbits: First and Foremost, this is a Flash game. Flash leaks memory. The longer you play, the more it leaks. That is what a refresh fixes - it reloads everything and releases all the old junk. You can use the built in Windows Task Manager to see how much memory Flash is taking. Too much, and your system begins to swap from being low on memory. I play on an 8GB machine and can still have problems if I'm at it all day (like normal). Note that the leak problem is in Flash, its not R2Games fault!

      On Browsers... all of them have problems with this game. Some minor, some major:

      Firefox appears to be the best, but sometimes can freeze up for 30 seconds or so if you leave the screen and try to come back.

      Safari is second on my list. It has a minor problem displaying the text window while in combat, and is ultra slow in updating your inventory icons, but otherwise is pretty stable. It does launch another process on your computer: WebKit2WebProcess.exe that the other browsers don't seem to need. This process appears to eat all the cycles and memory that Firefox does when Firefox is running Flash.

      Chrome has a LOT of early problems but I'm hearing they are getting fixed. Originally your bounty clock and items were not updated correctly, and the farm would keep telling you it was ready to be harvested when it was not. A refresh fixed it until the next time. Again, I have reports some of that is fixed now.

      Most avoid IE like the plague.

      I've also had mixed reports on some browsers having problems with the R2Games billing system - most often just when you think you are done. As in after you authorize PayPal or whatnot. I've seen a number of "URL not found" type messages when using Safari. Some have told me they use Safari to play the game, but Firefox to do all billing issues. Btw, the bill normally goes though... it just takes a few minutes. Never pay twice within 5-10 minutes until you are absolutely sure it didn't work if you see one of those errors.

      Bottom line: this is a pretty intensive game. Your going to need a decent gaming computer to play it without problems. Yeah, its web based, but its MASSIVELY Flash based and can eat older machines alive.
      That said, for a new server launch, I typically close down everything not essential: e-mail, skype, any other IM tools, etc. just leaving my browser of choice. Kill all those pesty little things you can that pop up in the lower right of your windows box. I do keep anti-virus... I ALWAYS keep anti-virus. You can even use Task Manager to make sure optional things are really dead. Even so, server launch is tough on the servers too, so some things will lag a bit. Generally clears up after the first day.

      Oh, I seldom have a problem in World Boss or other multi-user areas. I only refresh when things gets strange, like the text box starts blinking at me. Fairly beefy box though: 8gb ram, Q9550 quad core, GTX 560ti with an overall 5.9 Windows Experience Rating.

      Oh, almost forgot my biggest suggestion: DO NOT RUN over Wireless unless you have a great Internet connection (and then, even if you do it will be better). At home or the office, my so-so laptop plays a decent game over wireless. I can do WB and BG without any serious problems. Take that laptop to our farm, where we have a basic DSL internet connection, and the difference is night and day. As in I can't walk through the crystal patch over wireless. Its just a bit laggy when wired in.
      Last edited by Cassey; 11-06-2012, 01:51 AM. Reason: Add wireless comment

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by vets_Ambrozia View Post
        One of my fav lines during world boss is “LAAAAAG GUH!” and many blame the server.
        I, and many others, do not experience this thing called.. Lag. So, here are some pointers for you to check on before you do main activities such as group, world boss, battlegrounds.. etc.

        1. Refresh
        2. Clear cache
        3. Scrub RAM
        4. Turn off any programs that do real time bug checks (antivirus, malware.. etc)
        5. Dump cookies often
        6. Defrag often
        7. Pause Downloads
        8. Close down heavy programs
        9. Try different Browser (last resort)

        Most people want to do everything at the same time while playing an MMO. So going through a checklist is usually a good idea. If you do not do a whole lot of downloading/uploading, then go through some of the maintenance steps. Keep in mind, even with a good connection, everything you do can slow down, not only your internet, but your computer too.

        Clearing Cache
        For Google Chrome, the “customize and control” button is located right under the X button of the web page. Go to “Tools” then click on “Clear Browsing Data...”
        Cookies and clear cache should be checked, if nothing else.
        Hit the “Clear Browsing data” Button.. and that’s it!

        For other browsers, it’s pretty much the same.. you need to find tools and cache.


        Ram Scrubbing
        There’s all kinds of tools out there to scrub ram, but I personally like “Advanced System Care Free/Pro”.. it has all KINDS of tools to use and I’ve been using it for about 3 years. I don’t use antivirus or malware scanners.. just that. You can find it at cnet.com, which is a very trusted site.


        Defrag
        Windows has its own defrag tool that people often use, again, however.. I use “Advanced System Care Free/Pro” they have an independent defrag tool that also optimizes and does a “deep clean”.. very healthy for the computer.
        If you’re not familiar with defragging, here’s how to access the Window’s version.
        Start > Program Files > Accessories > System Tools
        Defragging once a week is advisable for the heavy user.

        If the path for Win7, please let me know, I'll add it in. TY

        Try Different Browser
        I have found that using one explorer to have trouble with doing one thing while another has trouble doing another. I am not familiar with FireFox and probably will not be, so if someone can offer insight on that area, please do so.

        IE (Windows included web browser) is kind of jicky about a few things. I have found Chrome better suited for Wartune.


        About the AntiVirus/Malware Programs
        I know a lot of you are very skittish about shutting your real time scanners down for any reason, however, let’s think about this logically. IF you do not do other things while playing Wartune and your real time scanners have NOT caught a virus from Wartune/R2games.. then isn’t it logical that it’s not going to and therefore safe to shut it down for these periods? The choice is ultimately yours, of course, but don’t expect to be able to run a real time scanner AND any MMO at the say time and still play fluidly.

        Vet Ambrozia
        check my guide on my signature

        there is a way to defrag for win 7 (i am using it)

        also good guide i like it
        Learn the search function and use the search function help r2 by reducing the threads which might have already been posted

        I am a 100% Noob

        I AM STILL PURE NON CASHER WHO WILL NOT SPEND

        Become a friend and be kind

        hate and violence only brings wars which will lead to casualties


        MY GUIDES:
        [Guide-How to reduce lag]

        I THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hyorinmaru6 View Post
          check my guide on my signature

          there is a way to defrag for win 7 (i am using it)

          also good guide i like it

          I looked at your guide, very nice.. I wasn't aware that there was one already out there lol I do apologize.. however, I didn't see the path for the Win7 defrag.. mind sharing? thank you ^.^

          Vet Ambrozia
          May the sun warm your soul, the moon light your eyes, the fog mystify your mind and the wind carry your spirit.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vets_Ambrozia View Post
            I looked at your guide, very nice.. I wasn't aware that there was one already out there lol I do apologize.. however, I didn't see the path for the Win7 defrag.. mind sharing? thank you ^.^

            Vet Ambrozia
            sure
            following

            Click image for larger version

Name:	defrag `1.png
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1662269
            open ur my computer and right click on one of ur disks and a tab will open then click on properties which in on the bottom

            then this tab will open

            Click image for larger version

Name:	defrag 2.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1662270

            click on tools and u will see check for error (u better check that first cause defrag before a check up is not recommended)

            then once u get a bad sign just click defrag and another tab will open


            Click image for larger version

Name:	defrag 3.png
Views:	1
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1662271
            in this tab just click on the disks and click analyze disk once u get a defrag sign from the analysis then click defragment disk which is to the right and wala its done (depending on the amount of data stored the defrag process might take some time but it must finish before 2 hrs if it doesn't ur having virus in ur system)

            although ur system has an automatic defrag schedule like the one u see on the 3rd pic
            so defrag on disks is not recommended unless ur experiencing major lag in ur COMPUTER
            Learn the search function and use the search function help r2 by reducing the threads which might have already been posted

            I am a 100% Noob

            I AM STILL PURE NON CASHER WHO WILL NOT SPEND

            Become a friend and be kind

            hate and violence only brings wars which will lead to casualties


            MY GUIDES:
            [Guide-How to reduce lag]

            I THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK

            Comment


            • #7
              lol you're gonna think I'm silly here, but, I did mean Win8.. I already had the path for Win7.. I thought you were saying you were using Win8 >.< does it show that I need more sleep yet? @.@ I am so, so sorry for the misunderstanding.. but really appreciate your effort!
              May the sun warm your soul, the moon light your eyes, the fog mystify your mind and the wind carry your spirit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vets_Ambrozia View Post
                lol you're gonna think I'm silly here, but, I did mean Win8.. I already had the path for Win7.. I thought you were saying you were using Win8 >.< does it show that I need more sleep yet? @.@ I am so, so sorry for the misunderstanding.. but really appreciate your effort!
                Win8 is newly released and in ur guide u said Win7 check ur guide

                also u can;t get win8 path so soon
                also the difference for defrag in Win8 is not that different from Win7 i have seen it and done it (i don't have it Yet)
                Learn the search function and use the search function help r2 by reducing the threads which might have already been posted

                I am a 100% Noob

                I AM STILL PURE NON CASHER WHO WILL NOT SPEND

                Become a friend and be kind

                hate and violence only brings wars which will lead to casualties


                MY GUIDES:
                [Guide-How to reduce lag]

                I THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK

                Comment


                • #9
                  i want to add few thing for chrome user should you guys having major lag (as i'm a chomeholic )

                  1. add an extension by the name of FRQc (Flash Render Quality changer) : by its name suggested, it force the render quality in flash to be low (or medium, if you prefer).
                  as we all aware that newer version flash didn't support changing in render quality.
                  here's the link to frqc https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jidaofhcnmjffo
                  2. and also, revert back your flash to earlier version (just don't go back to far, as wartune required flash 10, so flash 9 wont do), latest version of flash (11.5) is pretty buggy.
                  I Am Khan.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by R22652717 View Post
                    i want to add few thing for chrome user should you guys having major lag (as i'm a chomeholic )

                    1. add an extension by the name of FRQc (Flash Render Quality changer) : by its name suggested, it force the render quality in flash to be low (or medium, if you prefer).
                    as we all aware that newer version flash didn't support changing in render quality.
                    here's the link to frqc https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jidaofhcnmjffo
                    2. and also, revert back your flash to earlier version (just don't go back to far, as wartune required flash 10, so flash 9 wont do), latest version of flash (11.5) is pretty buggy.
                    in order to remove the lag from chrome
                    all u need to do is remove the flash u already have cause chrome already has 1 flash player in it
                    also avoid having too many extensions and at the same time flash 11.5 is not buggy its just a regular thing when u download from adobe but if u download from another site it will have less bugs (probably none)
                    Learn the search function and use the search function help r2 by reducing the threads which might have already been posted

                    I am a 100% Noob

                    I AM STILL PURE NON CASHER WHO WILL NOT SPEND

                    Become a friend and be kind

                    hate and violence only brings wars which will lead to casualties


                    MY GUIDES:
                    [Guide-How to reduce lag]

                    I THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hyorinmaru6 View Post
                      Win8 is newly released and in ur guide u said Win7 check ur guide

                      also u can;t get win8 path so soon
                      also the difference for defrag in Win8 is not that different from Win7 i have seen it and done it (i don't have it Yet)
                      Please read what I said, I said >>I did mean Win8<< and I did apologize for the misunderstanding.. further.. note the reason I last edited the guide.. >>Last edited by vets_Ambrozia; 11-09-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Win8 defrag correction<<

                      Win8 is out and all I am asking is if someone already has it, to share the path. I made a mistake and apologized for it.
                      May the sun warm your soul, the moon light your eyes, the fog mystify your mind and the wind carry your spirit.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hyorinmaru6 View Post
                        in order to remove the lag from chrome
                        all u need to do is remove the flash u already have cause chrome already has 1 flash player in it
                        also avoid having too many extensions and at the same time flash 11.5 is not buggy its just a regular thing when u download from adobe but if u download from another site it will have less bugs (probably none)
                        It is not recommended to remove flash. Chrome may have its own flash, but there are programs outside of the web browser that uses flash and without it, would not be able to run properly, if at all.
                        May the sun warm your soul, the moon light your eyes, the fog mystify your mind and the wind carry your spirit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by vets_Ambrozia View Post
                          It is not recommended to remove flash. Chrome may have its own flash, but there are programs outside of the web browser that uses flash and without it, would not be able to run properly, if at all.
                          that is true but instead of removal u can disable at chrome://plugins/
                          and click the disable on 1 of the flash
                          hence the effect is same as removal
                          Learn the search function and use the search function help r2 by reducing the threads which might have already been posted

                          I am a 100% Noob

                          I AM STILL PURE NON CASHER WHO WILL NOT SPEND

                          Become a friend and be kind

                          hate and violence only brings wars which will lead to casualties


                          MY GUIDES:
                          [Guide-How to reduce lag]

                          I THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just as a heads up if you keep clearing the cache you keep downloading the 150mb of data needed to run the game. This puts more demand on your download capacity. My guide helps explain a little more on how the browser and flash cache works and how to control it better.
                            Wartune
                            Name: Glimmer
                            Guild: Valhalla (was in Fire&Blood)
                            Server: S37 The Bloodlands
                            Class: Knight
                            Lvl: 53


                            --------------------------------------------------

                            Browser Setup & Anti-Lag Guide

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I find running Chrome on Linux is the best way of speeding things up, However I always reset the browser just before Group arena & world boss events. Since doing this lagg is no longer an issue

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X