Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Guide] How to be strong for your level (Slow leveling)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This wheel of fate, I think, is a disadvantage to slow-levelers, especially to the non-cashers..? What do you say? Those who stay long at lower levels will be losing fate stones by the amount of days they still linger before they get to 55 (assuming you always only got 1 fate stone per day)... Once they reached 55, lots of players (?) will be more advantaged than those newly 55 level players.... What do you say?
    If you think you are smart, then you are at the height of your stupidity.
    -quoted from R.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueEarth View Post
      This wheel of fate, I think, is a disadvantage to slow-levelers, especially to the non-cashers..? What do you say? Those who stay long at lower levels will be losing fate stones by the amount of days they still linger before they get to 55 (assuming you always only got 1 fate stone per day)... Once they reached 55, lots of players (?) will be more advantaged than those newly 55 level players.... What do you say?
      Yea I agree to a point, that's why i decided to move to 55 right before the update to get max amount of fate stones possible. It's hard to upgrade brutal edge if you don't cash so the more days you spin the wheel, the better. Of course if you are a slow leveller and have high BR , this will matter less in the long run.Going to 55+ doesn't mean you'll encounter players with high level brutal edge right away, because most will move on. From what I've seen in arena and BG, slow levellers only have to fear other slow levellers or high cashers.
      Short version: if you have 45k+ BR when you move to 55 it will compensate for the lack of brutal edge.
      IGN: AncientEvil
      Server: EU-271+merged
      Class: Archer
      Getting less Evil and more Ancient every day.

Comment

• Well, sure, but it applies to all things, really. Spire gives soul crystals and more vouchers. ToK gives soul crystals. There's lots of stuff a non-slow leveler can get that a slow-leveler can't. However, They will LEVEL HIGHER. And thus, they'll be out of our bracket.

In the END GAME, when we all reach level 80, a player who raced to 65 to get 60 pve gear, fate stones, etc. in 3 months and then slow leveled until 70 for 9 months will be stronger than someone who slow leveled to 70 over 12 months.

But in the MEDIUM GAME, the slow levelers are much stronger than those of similar level (mostly because those are players who either don't play often or have played much shorter timespan).

Slow-leveling, is difficult to defend, IMO, as an end-game strategy.

So, if you ever dream of being Eagle-Eye or Sorceror or Warlord, you shouldn't be slow leveling. However if you enjoy lording it over all others in your bracket, and dominating every aspect of the pvp and cross-server game, you should slow level. If you enjoy keeping up with the Joneses' on your own server, either via BR or lvl or WB damage, then slow leveling isn't for you.

Although some slow levelers do a decent amount of WB damage. And there are certain levels in which slow-levelers can catch up on the server enormously quickly.

Comment

• There is no "end game" to this game, so your argument is pretty much irrelevant. In order to be strong at high level you either have to be a heavy casher or make up by slow levelling. If you ever dream of getting Eagle-Eye or any title of sort, first you should dream about winning the lottery.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueEarth View Post
            This wheel of fate, I think, is a disadvantage to slow-levelers, especially to the non-cashers..? What do you say? Those who stay long at lower levels will be losing fate stones by the amount of days they still linger before they get to 55 (assuming you always only got 1 fate stone per day)... Once they reached 55, lots of players (?) will be more advantaged than those newly 55 level players.... What do you say?
            Slow leveling is about being strong for your level.

This is achieved by spending more time per level and achieving more per level than a regular player.

The same principle applies to your question.

The only way it's a disadvantage to a slow leveler, is if said slow leveler catches up a slower leveler.

The same principle applies to all the situations where new gear and stuff opens up. At level 35, it's runes, at 40 it's a horse, at 50 Holy Seal and now at 55 it's the wheel of fate. The slow leveler might end up being a bit behind in the specific new capability upon first achieving said levels, however, they will still have a general strength advantage and it's only a matter of time before they hold the upper hand again for their level range.
            Originally posted by CreamySaucepan
            You are just a freakozoid... Monster of Frankenstein meets Jabba the Hutt... Frabba the Huttstein... :P
            Behind every fat Space Slug is a blood thirsty sociopath urging it on.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancev View Post
              There is no "end game" to this game, so your argument is pretty much irrelevant. In order to be strong at high level you either have to be a heavy casher or make up by slow levelling. If you ever dream of getting Eagle-Eye or any title of sort, first you should dream about winning the lottery.
              I consider 70+ the end-game, where you can pretty much sink all xp into talents(holy seal), and leveling basically stops between 70-80.
              Here's a question for you then. If I level a toon to 65 over three months, and start farming my 60 pve legendary set, then camp for the next 9 months until I get my full legendary set, then level to 70, enter the 70+ bg's, then camp 70 for the next year, that would be two full years in the game. 3 months speed leveled, 9 months slow leveled, and 12 months camped.

Would that toon be stronger than someone who slow-levels all the way to 70 over 24 months, spending over 12 months just to hit lvl 60, and another 12 to hit lvl 70?

Or are you saying that if you choose to slow level, you will never catch up to the "end-gamers," because they will get new gear released or new dungeons or something to give them entertainment after level 80 and 90 and 100? So by the time the slow leveler is 70, they will be 90?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nivra0 View Post
                I consider 70+ the end-game, where you can pretty much sink all xp into talents(holy seal), and leveling basically stops between 70-80.
                Here's a question for you then. If I level a toon to 65 over three months, and start farming my 60 pve legendary set, then camp for the next 9 months until I get my full legendary set, then level to 70, enter the 70+ bg's, then camp 70 for the next year, that would be two full years in the game. 3 months speed leveled, 9 months slow leveled, and 12 months camped.

Would that toon be stronger than someone who slow-levels all the way to 70 over 24 months, spending over 12 months just to hit lvl 60, and another 12 to hit lvl 70?

Or are you saying that if you choose to slow level, you will never catch up to the "end-gamers," because they will get new gear released or new dungeons or something to give them entertainment after level 80 and 90 and 100? So by the time the slow leveler is 70, they will be 90?

max lvl for now is 80 so thats the end for now.
                more and more ppl will hit lvl 80 soon and they need to bring out a patch so they can lvl again and with that comes new gear/quests etc.

but slow lvling isnt about catching up with the end gamers its about owning ppl with the same lvl.. for example

if i was a slow lvler and im lvl59 with 60br then i would be much bttr then the rest around me.. its just max everything on your char before u lvl further

edit:

also u will never cath up with the end gamers well not without spending like the zebq way
                Last edited by h4d3s; 08-29-2013, 04:28 AM. Reason: also
                • S69 - Corftey ravine
                • H4D3S
                • lvl 76 archer
                • 103k br

Comment

• Originally posted by h4d3s View Post
                  but slow lvling isnt about catching up with the end gamers its about owning ppl with the same lvl.. for example
                  Right. I understand that, but the guy was originally saying, "Don't I need to level to 55 so I won't fall behind on fate?"

And my answer is that slow leveling will always keep you ahead of those at a similar level until you reach the end-game.

Once you reach end-game, I feel those that reached the end-game earlier have advantages over those who reach it later.

For all intents and purposes, let's consider level 65-69 end-game for this purpose. At level 65-69, you essentially have an endless pit of talents you can sink XP into (30 points of talents at lvl 65 up to 66(?) points at lvl 69)

Gamer Abe power levels to level 65 over 3 months, stopping only to get PvP gear and some epic rings along the way, then he camps 65-69 for nine months waiting for Betty. He sinks all excess XP into talents, and starts to farm up his lvl 60 legendary gear.
                  Gamer Betty slow-levels her way to level 65, owning all those that come within her path, but she eventually gets to level 65 one year later.

Who will be stronger after one year? Abe who speed leveled then camped or Betty who slow-leveled all the way to 65? At that point, they are both one year into the game, in the same bracket, and within a few levels of each other.
                  Last edited by Nivra0; 08-29-2013, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• betty will come out stronger because she took the time to gather materials for her gear where abe will strugle because he will taske his party down if he even gets one

also betty has more fun because having no trouble to do her things where abe always have to strugle and fight to get things togehter and going
                    • S69 - Corftey ravine
                    • H4D3S
                    • lvl 76 archer
                    • 103k br

Comment

Right. I understand that, but the guy was originally saying, "Don't I need to level to 55 so I won't fall behind on fate?"

And my answer is that slow leveling will always keep you ahead of those at a similar level until you reach the end-game.

Once you reach end-game, I feel those that reached the end-game earlier have advantages over those who reach it later.

For all intents and purposes, let's consider level 65-69 end-game for this purpose. At level 65-69, you essentially have an endless pit of talents you can sink XP into (30 points of talents at lvl 65 up to 66(?) points at lvl 69)

Gamer Abe power levels to level 65 over 3 months, stopping only to get PvP gear and some epic rings along the way, then he camps 65-69 for nine months waiting for Betty. He sinks all excess XP into talents, and starts to farm up his lvl 60 legendary gear.
                      Gamer Betty slow-levels her way to level 65, owning all those that come within her path, but she eventually gets to level 65 one year later.

Who will be stronger after one year? Abe who speed leveled then camped or Betty who slow-leveled all the way to 65? At that point, they are both one year into the game, in the same bracket, and within a few levels of each other.
                      In honesty - it would depend who planned better & played smarter.

Both could easily have the full 8 piece 60 Legend gear.

Abe:

He would have a very difficult time swapping over his play style.

He would also find few people to help him as he'd be extremely weak for his level and thus farming the 60 gear - he'd need a team of OP players to help him.

He'd also suffer in BG/GB/3v3 where for a long time he'd pretty much be the whipping boy.

Due to his speed - he'd have longer to farm, but he'd also be short on supplies to assist him (keys, gold etc)

Betty:

Would find the 60 gear farming very easy as the strength would already be there.

She'd have no issues in any of the PvP areas.

She'd have lots of supplies to achieve the gear quickly.

Personally - Betty, she's less likely to burn out from repeated instance fatigue, and has been working on her strength since day 1, rather than since day 100.
                      You are just a freakozoid... Monster of Frankenstein meets Jabba the Hutt... Frabba the Huttstein... :P

Comment

chinese current version has level 80 still as max, but with level 80 legend gear.
                        the thing is if you spend 3 months to reach 65 and don't cash, you'll be 65 with about 50k BR and maybe knight crusader. now go into BG or group arena with 55 PVP set, maybe 60 jewels normal and 50k BR. you will need at least 2 months to catch up on honor and insignia for epic set.
                        my personal opinion and advice is : don't level up unless you are ready, in the end it will take same amount of time to be strong for your level, either by going slow from the start and be above average or getting max level and spending a ton of time getting your *** kicked

Comment

• Originally posted by GingerTheHutt View Post
                          In honesty - it would depend who planned better & played smarter.

Both could easily have the full 8 piece 60 Legend gear.

Personally - Betty, she's less likely to burn out from repeated instance fatigue, and has been working on her strength since day 1, rather than since day 100.
                          Agreed. Betty's biggest advantage will be in her insignias and honor and medallion. Abe's biggest advantage should be gold, daru, and astrals. Betty's secondary advantage would be playstyle and having an easier time farming the 60 pve gear. Abe's secondary advantage would be things like Inscription, Fate, Whips, etc.

I think a lot here overstate how weak Abe will be. ancev is right. 55 PvP gear and some 60 jewels will give him around 50k BR. Is that great for 65? No. Is it average? Yes. Will he have trouble finding groups? I doubt it, but it won't be easy in the beginning. However, his gold/daru advantage should serve him well.

And yah, Ginger is right, it does come down to planning and smart playing. If Abe was just a diligent at farming as Betty, hoarding keys, doing WB, getting gems, Fate stones, soul crystals, etc., he should come out stronger, IMO. But, most "Abe's" just aren't as diligent as the typical "Betty's." Most Abe's plant xp plants instead of gold, and spend their astral points poorly picking up orange astrals for temporary buffs, and don't know how to refine well, or even sell their greens rather than recycle them.

Abe's biggest disadvantage: insignias and honor medallion doesn't really matter that much since 9 months is plenty of time to farm up the insignias for the 60 legendary set, even at 50% win rate. Betty has a huge advantage at level 65 over a fresh faced Abe who just hit 65, but that's a poor comparison, as Betty has put in 9 more months of playing time as the fresh-faced just-turned-65 Abe.

The point I'm trying to draw is that it's not a clear-cut win either way. Obviously, people in this thread are biased towards Betty, as am I, but there's a very reasonable argument to be made for Abe being stronger. And there's even a reasonable argument for Abe having more fun. Betty misses out on Spire and ToK and challenging MPD's geared towards her BR/level. That's a big portion of the game that Betty doesn't get to participate in.

Comment

The point I'm trying to draw is that it's not a clear-cut win either way. Obviously, people in this thread are biased towards Betty, as am I, but there's a very reasonable argument to be made for Abe being stronger. And there's even a reasonable argument for Abe having more fun. Betty misses out on Spire and ToK and challenging MPD's geared towards her BR/level. That's a big portion of the game that Betty doesn't get to participate in.
                            You already stated that most Abe's are not as diligent, or long term goal thinking orientated.

Sure Betty misses out on ToK and the challenges within MPD's. However you miss that once at 50, Betty will be much more able to play. She won't have to slow level so much. She already has the raw strength and can open the throttle a bit to enjoy more features of the game and not worry so much about hitting her targets.

Take me/Creamy as examples: we hit level 50 on June 20th. For my level forties I must have spent an average of around 3 weeks per level. Having spent two months or so hitting 40, to total about 9 months gameplay. Now it's August 29th a little over 2 months later and I'm level 54. I have played more of the game in the last 2 months than for a long time. However - I know that to sustain my relative strength I need to be careful. The bigger level gaps and talent system have allowed me to be a bit more carefree about my fanatical game play style. The bigger levels have allowed me to farm my gear easier than I initially thought, allowed me to hunt the catacombs more than I thought I might too. My strength has increased quicker than I planned (by level) as well as in projected time frame.

Betty can enjoy this capability too, and she understands the concept and the reality behind slow leveling. Abe usually understands the concept, but the minute you show him a shiny gold coin with 300k XP attached *click/accepted* and off he goes again.

I keep telling people that they should click to energise the guild tree and then leave ASAP... yet you see them whooping in guild chat about the conrtibution and failing to notice, be aware of the tons of XP they're earning.

Your right I do favour Betty. Not because I play that game style. But I feel that slow levelers in general take more time to learn the game and to understand the mechanics behind it, testing the water more thoroughly than most players, who would just dive in and '*** happened there?' once they realised something was wrong/different.

Comment

• I'm one of those that had to learn a few things the hard way & some things the not so hard way! Rushed up to level 30, saw power all around me & got stronger, hit 40 & felt I was underdeveloped so I powered up again, spent most of my time in the 40s gaining power but nowhere near at the rate of you GOOD slow levellers, really started to gain in power once I hit 50, began building the 50 LEG set, became 2nd strongest in my guild, now before I reach level 60 I'm gonna hold at level 59 until I have around 70k BR or more.

Basically I just had to learn that you don't have to Accept Rewards of a Completed Quest, it can just sit off to the side until you need a little bit of exp to raise your talents. Now I gain exp when heading to my next stopping point only by doing Catacombs to get the tokens I need for future gear, this way the exp is limited to that which gives me the most in terms of Equivalent Exchange.

Using this method, on my server I am still below level 60 but stronger than every player below level 65...allowing me to plunder higher levels for the increased kyanite. Fast levellers have to compete with heavy pockets (good luck with that), while slow levellers only have to compete with other slow levellers...making the slow leveller likely to burn out much later than the fast leveller who will eventually realize he will never be the strongest.

Comment

• Originally posted by YoungKotU View Post
                                I'm one of those that had to learn a few things the hard way & some things the not so hard way! Rushed up to level 30, saw power all around me & got stronger, hit 40 & felt I was underdeveloped so I powered up again, spent most of my time in the 40s gaining power but nowhere near at the rate of you GOOD slow levellers, really started to gain in power once I hit 50, began building the 50 LEG set, became 2nd strongest in my guild, now before I reach level 60 I'm gonna hold at level 59 until I have around 70k BR or more.

Basically I just had to learn that you don't have to Accept Rewards of a Completed Quest, it can just sit off to the side until you need a little bit of exp to raise your talents. Now I gain exp when heading to my next stopping point only by doing Catacombs to get the tokens I need for future gear, this way the exp is limited to that which gives me the most in terms of Equivalent Exchange.

Using this method, on my server I am still below level 60 but stronger than every player below level 65...allowing me to plunder higher levels for the increased kyanite. Fast levellers have to compete with heavy pockets (good luck with that), while slow levellers only have to compete with other slow levellers...making the slow leveller likely to burn out much later than the fast leveller who will eventually realize he will never be the strongest.
                                this is the reason why i stick to this thread for my guidebook xD

Comment

Working...
                                X