Announcement

Collapse

Website Instability

We are aware of the issue with the website being unstable. The issue is currently being worked on. We thank you for your patience in the meantime.
See more
See less

[GUIDE] Mage Class: EWD or Crit? - A comparative Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Mage Class: EWD or Crit? - A comparative Guide

Are you one of those mages that keep hesitating between choosing the critical build for your mage or to stick with the meta (Will Destroyer build) ?
    If you are on of those eternal doubters I hope I can aid you by writing this guide.
    Hello there, I am Redoga. I've been a Will Destroyer mage for over a year and I am a critmage since early October 2013. Want my opinion on the two builds? Keep reading.

Enhanced Will Destroyer Mage

Let's start off by taking a look at what the EWD (Enhanced Will Destroyer) build has to offer.
    Choosing for the EWD mage is normal and offers a great variety of benefits. What are the pro's and cons here?

---Pro's---
    Steady and reliable damage output
    The EWD mage is tankier than the critmage
    No need to bother about the 'critical points' stat.

---Cons---
    If you want to perform good at the World Boss event you'll need to build a Sniper astral (crit) and a determination astral (increases critical dmg by x%) which requires some gold
    ... there aren't really any cons further than the World Boss - 'astral switch' - problem.

Summary:
    The EWD build is reliable. It is a solid choice and almost mandatory.
    You will be more tanky than the critmage.
    Only thing that might be annoying is building a Sniper and a determination astral for the World Boss event.

Critical Mage

Now let's take a look at the critmage. Obviously this next section will be more complex.

First off allow me to explain how crit works.

Crit rate
    With critical build we understand you will be doing two kind of hits. The first type is the regular hit. The second type is the critical hit.
    How much you'll land critical strikes depends on your critical score AND YOUR BATTLERATING !!
    This is something I think most people don't know. We do not have the crit formula but there's two things we know:
    - In order to increase your crit rate you need to increase your critical points
    - The higher battlerating you are the more critical points you'll need! This means a 30k br mage will do more than fine with 3k critical points while an 90k br mage will absolutely do bad with 3k crit.
    So let's say you're and 80k br mage with 4500 crit points. Your crit rate will be decent. Few weeks later your mage has grown and is now a 100k br mage with the same amount of crit points (4500). You'll notice a drop in your crit rate.

How to acquire critical points
    Now that you know how crit works I'll explain the variety of ways to acquire the minimal amount of crit:
    Crit gems: This means you'll be sacrificing another type of gem. This will either be PDEF, MDEF or HP. The choice is up to you. I recommend to keep hp and drop either MDEF or PDEF or a mix of those two. Dropping HP means lowering your defense to both type of damaging classes (magical and physical) while dropping MDEF or PDEF means lowering your defense to one type of class.
    Soul Engraving: Along with Crit gems comes Soul Engraving. Having a high Soul Engraving is recommended.
    Crit refines: These are the green stats on your gear. Yet again this means a drop in defense.
    Sniper astral: Obviously. Same problem as gems and refines; EWD mages will only need the EWD astral while the critmage will need both the Sniper astral and the Determination astral.
    Honor rank: Imperial Commander or Lord Divine. This is basically mandatory if you want to go with the Critical build.

So much sacrifice for that extra amount of damage? Is it really worth it?
    I have my doubts... but I really enjoy playing the critmage. In my opinion it is more fun and more exciting than having the reliable damage output you have with EWD. It's 'Kill Fast' or 'Be Killed'.
    Another nice thing about the critmage is the Critheal; which are nice to witness Be aware they are unreliable as ***** and you shouldn't expect them. By this I mean don't drop your HP accidentally because you hope for a critheal. Imo you should consider them as a potential saviour.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	critheal2.png
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1741412 a critheal
    Note that a critmage can easily be countered. If someone decides to equip a decently lvled Guardian Angel astral (reduces opponents crit rate by X%) you are ***d...

Let's summarize the Pro's and the Cons:

---Pro's---
    THAT DAMAGE! (if acquired the necessary amount of crit!)
    THOSE HEALS! (Though unreliable it is nice to see a critheal)
    No need to keep an extra Sniper- and determination astral in your astral bag as you are a critmage (Doh!)

---Cons---
    Weak defense. It's 'Kill Fast' or 'Be Killed'
    Can easily be countered with the Guardian Angel astral
    Need to upgrade your crit as you upgrade your battlerating

Summary:
    The critmage is fun to play. It is an unreliable build though that depends on some luck.
    Sacrificing all that defense to increase your damage might not seem worth it.
    Because of the Guardian Angel astral critmage might not be a very good idea after all. The fate of your battle depends on your opponent...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope I've been able to help you a little by writing this guide. Now go out there and make the choice!

Feel free to criticize or add additional info by commenting Feel free to share some experience and please DO share your opinion!
    Last edited by Linazz; 11-16-2013, 12:21 PM.
    ~ Redoga ~

My very own detailed mage guide
    Choosing between EWD and Crit - a comparative guide
    My pathetic youtube channel
    -------------------> Latest video:

Looks good :P

I love being a WD mage because I don't have to give up any other stat for the extra crit and like you said, it's reliable. I still might try out being a crit mage again when I get IC/LD in a couple years(lazy). In the past, I couldn't get my crit bonus that high but it was nice not to need an astral switch for world bosses/GB's.

Comment

W8 for my 80v and guardian astro^^ will slap your rate xD
      But this is good guide,personaly i like meet crit mages without crit ^^ i can imagine them 'crit...please crit...where is my dmg...' ^^

_________

Crit Mage 80v
      ~135k Br

_________

Comment

Originally posted by AnataOFAkku View Post
        But this is good guide,personaly i like meet crit mages without crit ^^ i can imagine them 'crit...please crit...where is my dmg...' ^^
        in fact is with the right crit amount of crit ratio = oh look knight he`s dead ... oh mage with ewd 8 he`s dead. buuuuuuuuuuut this patch **** us all crit mages so soon i`ll be back to ewd.

Comment

Originally posted by symedia View Post
          in fact is with the right crit amount of crit ratio = oh look knight he`s dead ... oh mage with ewd 8 he`s dead. buuuuuuuuuuut this patch **** us all crit mages so soon i`ll be back to ewd.
          Ulala...u didnt know each patch nerf crit?^^ ah forgat...u are a mage and No exp with nerfing archers xD
          We meet tooday dante and sec crit mage... And pown them with blizzi^^

_________

Crit Mage 80v
          ~135k Br

_________

Comment

I have always found the idea of a crit mage tempting.

I am sure that I have annoyed Creamy with my Crit build ponderings.

That said, I have always thought of a Crit mage build as being level 60 or above, with the Imp C medallion or above and a very high stacked crit total.

Difficult to do for a mage with no passive crit bonus, but certainly if done right a formidable build.

Note: It is confirmed that I have annoyed Creamy with my crit mage ponderings. LOL.
            Originally posted by CreamySaucepan
            You are just a freakozoid... Monster of Frankenstein meets Jabba the Hutt... Frabba the Huttstein... :P
            Originally posted by CreamySaucepan
            Behind every fat Space Slug is a blood thirsty sociopath urging it on.

Comment

Originally posted by GingerTheHutt View Post
              Note: It is confirmed that I have annoyed Creamy with my crit mage ponderings. LOL.
              Lol, poor Creamy
              Last edited by Face-Star; 11-16-2013, 01:23 PM.
              Server - 138- Falledge
              Guild - THE*CHOSEN
              Class - Mage
              Name - BigBadGirl
              Level - 70

Comment

Originally posted by GingerTheHutt View Post
                I have always found the idea of a crit mage tempting.

I am sure that I have annoyed Creamy with my Crit build ponderings.

That said, I have always thought of a Crit mage build as being level 60 or above, with the Imp C medallion or above and a very high stacked crit total.

Difficult to do for a mage with no passive crit bonus, but certainly if done right a formidable build.

Heh you're not the only one. I've switched to crit once and back again to EWD at 58 and now at 60 i'm back to crit again. True it's not as reliable/solid as EWD but man.. it's way more fun than the boring EWD ( i have a lv9) xD!

Comment

100k astral xp away from sniper 8. Reason i prefer crit over EWD? It's more fun, nets way more gold from wb and i save the trouble of switching astrals all the time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	astrals.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1677857

Comment

Nice crit astros^^

_________

Crit Mage 80v
                    ~135k Br

_________

Comment

I was crit mage for 3 weeks when i became LD and was still 59 so testing was easy. Crit mage pvp is at least 20% worse than WD mage. I realized that first day but used 3 weeks to lvl me up andother crit astro so whne that 1 finally was lvl6 i merged that lvl8 crit into WD and switched back.

I currently use lvl9 WD for everything but WB where i use lvl7 red crit with lvl8 determination. I am quite solid pvp and at WB i am mostly rank 2 at WB 1 casher does revives quite often otherwise i would be always rank 2 Br only 78k with academy(not maxxed out caue no VIP) with 25k matk Offense is best defense

Comment

crit mage i no more viable because of second page of academy

Comment

Originally posted by AnataOFAkku View Post
                          LOL I frequently see crit mages saying this... "Damn...crit!"

Comment

Thank you for this very detailed guide. Though I didn't find answer on a question that bothers me a lot - should I become crit mage or stay EWD mage?
                            I was thinking about it since getting closer to Imperial Commander title and nice crit boost that comes with medallion of that and LD rank.
                            Also I didn't know that BR is involved somehow in crit rate calculation, I thought it depends only on your own level, cause I heard that lower level people can crit with 3k Crit stat as good as higher level people with over 4k crit stat.

Please, I need your advice: should I try becoming a crit mage or not? (i.e. will i crit often enough in all types of activities?)
                            Info on my toon: with gem conversion and gear refining i can have 4.9k crit stat + lvl 7 Determination. I have 98k BR currently at lvl 74.
                            What would you say?
                            Server: Armorgames Server 4 - US West.
                            Class: Mage.

Comment

Originally posted by Starry777 View Post
                              Thank you for this very detailed guide. Though I didn't find answer on a question that bothers me a lot - should I become crit mage or stay EWD mage?
                              I was thinking about it since getting closer to Imperial Commander title and nice crit boost that comes with medallion of that and LD rank.
                              Also I didn't know that BR is involved somehow in crit rate calculation, I thought it depends only on your own level, cause I heard that lower level people can crit with 3k Crit stat as good as higher level people with over 4k crit stat.

Please, I need your advice: should I try becoming a crit mage or not? (i.e. will i crit often enough in all types of activities?)
                              Info on my toon: with gem conversion and gear refining i can have 4.9k crit stat + lvl 7 Determination. I have 98k BR currently at lvl 74.
                              What would you say?
                              GO AHEAD and try it, u can always switch back later if you dont like it.
                              Death comes when you hear the Banshee.....

Comment

Working...
                              X