Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[guide] wheres the laq! or how to determine where internet related lag is coming from

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [guide] wheres the laq! or how to determine where internet related lag is coming from

So we all experience all sorts of types of lag from time to time in war tune and any other streamed internet communications (you tube etc) This guide will help you to find out just who is really to blame for the internet lag your getting.

Tools needed just your windows pre installed tools specifically tracert dos command .

First where ever you see > this means simply a chain of steps first > second > third etc

Star button > run > cmd > [enter]
    tracert targetwebsite.com for our purposes

http://wartune.r2games.com/

so tracert command is
    tracert wartune.r2games.com > [enter]

This is mine below. My own ip and modem ip replaced by x
    1 1 ms 2 ms 6 ms x
    2 34 ms 30 ms 15 ms x
    3 14 ms 17 ms 14 ms be21-690.pltsohae01r.midwest.rr.com [184.59.246.161]
    4 23 ms 15 ms 42 ms be25.clmkohpe01r.midwest.rr.com [65.29.1.28]
    5 * 27 ms 28 ms ae-4-0.cr0.chi30.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.68]
    6 26 ms 28 ms 29 ms 66.109.1.40

7 27 ms 26 ms 29 ms ae18.edge2.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.68.111.33]
    8 45 ms 45 ms 48 ms vl-3601-ve-225.ebr2.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.69.158.50]
    9 46 ms 45 ms 44 ms ae-6-6.ebr2.Washington12.Level3.net [4.69.148.145]
    10 45 ms 47 ms 45 ms ae-5-5.ebr2.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.143.221]
    11 47 ms 47 ms 47 ms ae-62-62.csw1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.134.16]
    12 47 ms 182 ms 45 ms ae-13-60.car3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.149.5] <
    13 47 ms 112 ms 45 ms PEER-1-NETW.car3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.79.169.246] <

14 * * * Request timed out. <
    15 * * * Request timed out. <
    16 45 ms 46 ms 48 ms 207.198.119.75

Trace complete.

the reverse arrows < show some problem areas 2 bottom timed outs can be for 2 reasons based on the washinton one is the timed out servers are set to not respond to pings etc or more likely time out is caused by the high pings from the washington hops. So in this case those servers are are what is causing my lag though minor at this point. these servers are close to the war tune servers so the war tune admins would most likely have better results being the ones to contact them. How ever unless they are the ones providing the services to the wartunes server. If not they would just get laughed at and hung up on. If i was seeing huge amounts of lag at my isp i would need to call them and complain to them. In this case the amount of lag im getting and the duration of it (already back to normal) means no real action needed was just momentary. How ever if those servers were acting like this for a extended period of time they would need to be contacted. The process wold be wartune calls their isp points them to this problem area if their isp deemed it important and thought something could be done they would then contact the isp in question.

Truth is most internet lag is caused by consumer grade and small business grade isps road runner cox comcast att telious virgin etc. These guy could not care any less about you and your lag problems. You can threaten them and tell them you will cancel your service and they will say ok you have a nice day now ya hear? to them your 19.95 to 90 or 100 a month don't mean a dang thing. How ever if it is your isp it is not r2 or 7 roads problem to handle nor are they to blame (your not ither) it is your isp when its on your hops (you can tell when it leaves your side as it will no longer be a domain owned by your isp in my case the dark bold blue is last hops controlled by my isp second ip may not be my isp. War tunes side begins after the bold dark green (i think)

Things to note about treacert your are basically telling other servers to ping the next server in the link they then report back to the tracert tool what that ping was and domain information etc. As you see after the washington we have 2 servers who failed to respond or had cloaked their self or things along that line but the war tune server it self has a fast clean ping reply. This means that the lag if i had any to note would not be caused by wartune but the washington isp. This isp may or may not be wartunes direct provider that is information i do not have and wartune /r2 would not be likely to tell us as honestly it is none of our business.

Now what do you do with this information you gather when doing this lag test? Slap it in a ticket to wartune they can be more help with it than with out. And guys and gals lets not burry them with 50 runs of tracert one is enough. Run the same command 2 or 3 times on your side submit one copy of one run unless they ask you to give them more runs of it. Do not post your tracerts with your ip left in place x it out blur it out etc but don't leave it publicly visable. Leaving intact when you submit to r2 is a good idea. Who knows they might be on really good terms with your isp. Maybe they are also r2s provider on pro class internet. You just do not know so do include your full un edited tracert log in your ticket to them.

I don't believe the lag has anything to do with your internet connection. Take a look at the amount of memory flash is using for this game. The programmers didn't write in proper "garbage cleanup" in the flash files. At least this is what I find to be true. Memory is overloaded and video rendering is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by R227015782 View Post
      I don't believe the lag has anything to do with your internet connection. Take a look at the amount of memory flash is using for this game. The programmers didn't write in proper "garbage cleanup" in the flash files. At least this is what I find to be true. Memory is overloaded and video rendering is slow.
      2 things
      1 don't thread **** k?
      and 2
      2 my system specs and what i seen after 3 days constant log in in cloud city no browser page refreshes closes
      2 gig ram
      2ghz amd 64 first gen single core cpu
      ati elcheapo 256 meg agp vid card
      cheap mother board 2 gig max ram
      2x cheap 80 gb ide hds (yep no sata conections here)

i experienced no increase in lag over time after 3 wbs 1x per day along with gb as well on monday. Multiple mpd runs + 2x tok 1x spire. Some time in sylpth atol few round solo pvp tank trials and just general moving around chatting going to farm on occasion starting 3x cata blitz. No lag increase over time and really very little in the way of lag period. A few spikes here and there normally when some one came in or something loaded in guild chamber from toa time also 3x. If there was a serious problem with garbage clean up as you call it then why do i not also have memory usage issues and memory leaks or excessively high flash memory usage?

The more likely cause of memory issues is spyware and virus running in the background mucking every thing up causing memory leaks inn high activity programs such as flash when wartune is running.

Again don't thread ****

First line of my post reads and im gona write this big bold and red so ya don't miss it this time

So we all experience all sorts of types of lag from time to time in war tune and any other streamed internet communications (you tube etc) This guide will help you to find out just who is really to blame for the internet lag your getting.

To the mods if you would and if your are allowed by your internal policies could you please delete his nonsensical thread crapping post and this reply. It would be much appreciated i get tired of the silliness. People need to clean up their own computers before telling people to clean up their program code when the person doing the telling don't know what code even is.

Comment

So--it is possible that it is neither R2games or the internet provider I am using.

I use a laptop and was having lag problems in some places but not everywhere.

In fact I am having lag problems now(that is why I am reading up on it) but fully expect to play when I return home.

I am going to try that command here and at home. Maybe the information circuit is different from each other.

Comment

Working...
        X