About Mages and Electro Skills & Resistance Thread 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrFancyPants View Post
    In the vain hope of heading off further disputes over the established facts, here are those facts, as tested by me personally as well as many others:

1. When you are attacked by any non-elemental attack, your highest resistance value is used. This includes ALL attacks by other players who are not in sylph form.
    2. When hit by an elemental attack, your resistance to that element is used. This includes certain bosses, awakened players in pvp, and unawakened sylph attacks (the little unblockable, defense-ignoring hits)
    3. In all cases, the applicable res (see 1 and 2 above) is reduced by the attacker's reduce res (will crystals)
    4. When awakened, the sylph's defense stats are added to your own, so your damage received will be reduced by some additional amount.

This is how it works now, and is very well tested. There is really no point in disputing these things without good evidence. The videos posted by girgle way back do not show anything that doesn't agree with the above. It doesn't really require any statistical analysis to confirm this, since you can control the inputs, varying them widely with little difficulty. A p-value of 0 is possible here, if you assume that normal damage values have a limited range. Vary only one factor, the target's max res value and type, and you can quickly see just how dramatic the differences are. Take out the attacker's will crystals to really see the effects best.

If you think this is not how it should work, then go submit a bug. It probably won't go anywhere, but more productive than trying to convince other players to join you in dreaming of a better Wartune, while confusing people who want to find out how it actually works now.
    I think this is the best and most complete outline of how we think res works that I've seen. I dunno how to give rep or I'd do that, instead I just wanted to compliment you on writing it out clearly and completely.

Comment

• I think so too. I am fleshing this out for myself but here is my issue..When I hit boss in skytrail (in this case using water boss V-1) my attack was reduced when I took off my wii crystals which would be in agreement with the hypothesis that your highest res is used...if you think of it that would reduce your overall elemental resistance compared to them.(no Wii=69K with wii=170K)This holds for dark, light and electro sylph being used (since all are maxed). Where it breaks down for me.. if I remove all my elemental res my attacks are the same. no difference..bolt 170K...however...if I remove my wii so I am down to NO resistance crystals at all...my bolt 69K again....add back rez crystals still 69K....add back wii...bolt goes back to 170. the only thing that affected the effectiveness of MY attacks was the res reduction crystals. (also all attack of boss on me were same no matter what my res configuration was..I received about 150K damage per hit with or with all crystals) Are you seeing this?
      Last edited by SquishyFoxy; 03-26-2015, 03:25 PM.
      ♥♥Hugs and Hearts♥♥
      SquishyFoxy
      S1 resident Gently fragile mage
      (a tad on the delicate side)

Comment

• That confusion is understandable. What you need to realize is that elemental resistance crystals only affect incoming damage. Your will crystals affect all outgoing damage regardless of element. So in sky trail, where all bosses are elemental, they will have some degree of resistance to your normal attacks, and your will crystals will negate that (and increase your damage if you have enough reduce res). Their attacks on you will always be in their own native element since a patch update several months ago. When it first appeared, even sky trail used your highest res value. You might find outdated info on the forums, I know it was posted here some time back.

But I'm not sure how you would be seeing the same damage received unless you added only crystals for different elements than that boss. Or if those bosses have a reduce res stat, I've never checked to find out if that's the case.

Other places where there are elemental bosses:
        God's Descent (all of them, same as Sky Trail)
        Dragon Invasion (only some bosses, others are non-elemental)
        Cloud Adventure
        Dimensional War (no surprise there)
        Bloody Inferno? (I'm really not sure, they seem to have high reduce res, making the actual element determination very hard)
        Nirvana bosses claim to have elements, but I've never been able to find any evidence they actually do. Their temporary elemental buffs did change damage, last time I checked it out.

Spire does not have any elemental bosses, even though the last 4 look like amazon, iris, eve, and pan.

Comment

• ah gotcha! thank you so much for that ...I understand it much better with that terrific explanation. And yes I had corresponding element in crystal but did not explain myself well...damage went up as I lowerd my water res What I mean is other elemental gems had no effect on incoming damage either. I tried putting the water res at steady level 370 and push my dark up to 740. I wanted it to be enough difference that you could see it. but I saw no difference..same scatter pattern of hits for all values up to 740. I vary the water crystals from 0 to 550 and definitely saw a step up pattern in damage as my res decrease. Who knows...since our sylph is not awakened in pre sylph battle..if the opponent is another person with sylph...maybe program doesnt understand and tries to assign an ele res ...and as other point out...just by default pick the highest one til you transform and it has an "Ahah" moment.
          ♥♥Hugs and Hearts♥♥
          SquishyFoxy
          S1 resident Gently fragile mage
          (a tad on the delicate side)

Comment

• wait, reduce res works lower than 0 too? it's not resist ignore, but resist reduction? (altho the name is res reduc, im asking the real mechanics of it)

so if u have -200 wind, and enemy got fire* attack + 700res reduc, you take damage as if u had -900 wind res?
            Last edited by kevs926; 03-26-2015, 09:02 PM.
            Level 49 Archer
            BR 150k

Comment

• Originally posted by FufuBunnySlayer View Post
              I think this is the best and most complete outline of how we think res works that I've seen. I dunno how to give rep or I'd do that, instead I just wanted to compliment you on writing it out clearly and completely.
              Click* bottom left of post

Comment

• Originally posted by kevs926 View Post
                wait, reduce res works lower than 0 too? it's not resist ignore, but resist reduction? (altho the name is res reduc, im asking the real mechanics of it)

so if u have -200 wind, and enemy got fire* attack + 700res reduc, you take damage as if u had -900 wind res?
                That's partly right, and you can tell when res is positive or negative by the message that appears in the upper right: "RES Reduction" means extra damage due to negative resistance, and "Reduce damage RES" means less damage due to positive resistance. There is a cap that someone worked out, but I forget exactly what it is. I think it's something like a max of 20% bonus damage. Maybe 30%. I'm pretty sure you can't get anywhere near the equivalent of -900 res though. The minimum is known to be 90% reduction.

Comment

Working...
                X