No announcement yet.

All in good fun... but seriously FYI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for server, why not, as some are USA (and most of the player SHOULD be able to write correct English), but on forum, you ask a lot for many people who just try to get some help
    RETIRED. Too much bugs, too time consuming, too few listening from Wartune
    Wartune : NonoBoulot : S181 : Archer

Comment

Originally posted by ArnaudBo View Post
      for server, why not, as some are USA (and most of the player SHOULD be able to write correct English), but on forum, you ask a lot for many people who just try to get some help
      Its not asking A LOT... its just to be mindful. Sometimes its the one that has broken english that further misspells and incorrect grammar that makes it harder for even the best of us to understand. This is not meant as a negative post. I myself as someone from the USA and english FIRST language butcher it all the time with misspelling. I know its not easy. It more of a hey ya know this could help. The more EVERYONE understands, the better we can all help eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by Luxiepoo View Post
        It wasn't meant as a negative thing I know that there are language barriers... But with that spelling and Grammar have a lot to do with the clear understanding. At least on the forums... Ultimately just try the best you can. I am from the USA and I BUTCHER my grammar and spelling all the time... I have to have others read my papers before I turn them in. And I am in college.
        but on forum, you ask a lot for many people who just try to get some help
        It's true that some posts are (a lot) harder to understand than others. We try to get what they're saying, either with the help of my trusted friend Google Translate, or sometimes a fellow forumer will have a good light-bulb moment on what someone might mean. Sometimes we even simply speak the post out loud as quite some people will write phonetically when English difficult/new/unknown to them.
        I'll appreciate anyone's effort to try to speak a language that's not their own. Even if it is still quite difficult to understand. If I really can't read it, we can always ask them to write in their own language and then turn to google.
        People can have many reasons for not being very good at English, none of which we should hold against them. And in the end, like Arnaud said: they simply want help.

It pains me that some new posters feel the need to apologize for their (often more than acceptable) English in their posts, and it makes me wonder how many people refrain from posting because they feel intimidated by, well, basically threads like these, or people making fun of their English, or, or...

So lets just embrace our cultural differences, maybe?
        "The trolls of the Ramtops call her Aaoograha hoa ("She Who Must Be Avoided")
        and the dwarf name for her, K'ez'rek d'b'duz, translates to "Go Around the Other Side of the Mountain."

On holiday. Please refer any issues to

Comment

Originally posted by EsmeWeatherwax View Post
          It's true that some posts are (a lot) harder to understand than others. We try to get what they're saying, either with the help of my trusted friend Google Translate, or sometimes a fellow forumer will have a good light-bulb moment on what someone might mean. Sometimes we even simply speak the post out loud as quite some people will write phonetically when English difficult/new/unknown to them.
          I'll appreciate anyone's effort to try to speak a language that's not their own. Even if it is still quite difficult to understand. If I really can't read it, we can always ask them to write in their own language and then turn to google.
          People can have many reasons for not being very good at English, none of which we should hold against them. And in the end, like Arnaud said: they simply want help.

It pains me that some new posters feel the need to apologize for their (often more than acceptable) English in their posts, and it makes me wonder how many people refrain from posting because they feel intimidated by, well, basically threads like these, or people making fun of their English, or, or...

So lets just embrace our cultural differences, maybe?
          It wasn't meant as a negative or making fun of them. It was a hey you know it would make it a little bit easier if we all paid attention to the spelling and grammar that we put here. To be able to get help easier and all that. And even google translate won't provide 'perfect english'. It was meant as a we can all help each other better, if we can all understand each other. Despite language barriers, cultures, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Deeelinquent View Post
            I can haz cake?!

I do make allowances for people's bad English and grammar, after all, we can't all be English... but "any wont 80 boos", "atool boos" can be really annoying after a while!
            Dont you Know.....THE CAKE IS A LIE

Comment

Originally posted by Luxiepoo View Post
              It wasn't meant as a negative or making fun of them. It was a hey you know it would make it a little bit easier if we all paid attention to the spelling and grammar that we put here. To be able to get help easier and all that. And even google translate won't provide 'perfect english'. It was meant as a we can all help each other better, if we can all understand each other. Despite language barriers, cultures, etc...
              We are making error without knowing it. so unless someone corrected us, we will never know.
              and you don't know how someone will feel about getting corrected in a forum
              RETIRED. Too much bugs, too time consuming, too few listening from Wartune
              Wartune : NonoBoulot : S181 : Archer

Comment

We are making error without knowing it. so unless someone corrected us, we will never know.
                and you don't know how someone will feel about getting corrected in a forum
                I used to HATE people correcting me... still kinda do. But if you ask me to clarify or say "hey do you really mean this".... I won't get upset. I misspell and have horrible grammar. And a lot of the time I am typing to fast and won't catch it till way later. Its human error. And not one person is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                X