Reduce lag with team members outlines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce lag with team members outlines

Yeah, yeah, another suggestion that will never be implemented... Blah blah blah... Why do we keep doing this... BLAH.

Sorry, but I've got too much spare time and thought that maybe this would help reducing lag a bit, especially now that fights can be 8VS8.

So, the idea is add an "Outline members" button (or something simlar).

Click image for larger version

Name:	outlines.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	610.6 KB
ID:	1771842

First of all, sorry for the lack of continuity in the screenshot, but I couldn't be bothered doing all the characters so I did 2 and cloned them, but you get the picture. Each player can see their own character but the others are seen as a simple outline. You can still see them moving, but you don't see auras, clothings, effects, etc.. Colour could change according to class and there might be a smaller outline for Sylphs as well.

Less things to load, less lag, same result. Easy-peasy.

Have a nice day!

That's a pretty creative suggestion Would it be just for your team or for the opponents as well? A "problem" I could imagine is colour-blind people, they might not see the outline very well?
    "The trolls of the Ramtops call her Aaoograha hoa ("She Who Must Be Avoided")
    and the dwarf name for her, K'ez'rek d'b'duz, translates to "Go Around the Other Side of the Mountain."

On holiday. Please refer any issues to

Comment

Originally posted by EsmeWeatherwax View Post
      That's a pretty creative suggestion Would it be just for your team or for the opponents as well? A "problem" I could imagine is colour-blind people, they might not see the outline very well?
      Could be for both teams (when facing players of course). Monsters would stay the same I suppose, otherwise it would be too much work. Still, even with just one outlined team combats should be smoother.
      As for the colour-blind people... Nice objection! I didn't think about it to be honest but I guess that even if you could not recognise the different colours (you can still see the outline AFAIK), you would recognise the different silhouettes (mage, knight, archer), so that would work fine none the less IMHO.

Also, you can still read names and see energy bars, so there shouldn't be any problem with same-class parties.

Comment

nice idea. but I have the feeling the biggest problem with 8 x 8 fight are damage messages more than animations (who come second)
        everything who could help lowering the heavy lag that was added with Eudaemon is welcome
        RETIRED. Too much bugs, too time consuming, too few listening from Wartune
        Wartune : NonoBoulot : S181 : Archer

Comment

Originally posted by GiordanoT88 View Post
          As for the colour-blind people... Nice objection! I didn't think about it to be honest but I guess that even if you could not recognise the different colours (you can still see the outline AFAIK), you would recognise the different silhouettes (mage, knight, archer), so that would work fine none the less IMHO.
          The outline colours would have to be of a higher contrast to the background, I guess. Red on a dark brownbackground might be difficult to see for colourblinds. (wouldn't know, I'm not one of them, but I can imagine...).
          Originally posted by ArnaudBo View Post
          nice idea. but I have the feeling the biggest problem with 8 x 8 fight are damage messages more than animations (who come second)
          everything who could help lowering the heavy lag that was added with Eudaemon is welcome
          Yeah, a screen filled with "CRIT CRIT CRIT CRIT CRIT" certainly isn't helping.
          and the dwarf name for her, K'ez'rek d'b'duz, translates to "Go Around the Other Side of the Mountain."

Comment

The outline colours would have to be of a higher contrast to the background, I guess. Red on a dark brownbackground might be difficult to see for colourblinds. (wouldn't know, I'm not one of them, but I can imagine...).
            True. Something visible/high contrast or a thicker line. I leave this choice to the devs, when they'll work on this WONDERFUL idea.

Originally posted by ArnaudBo View Post
            I can't find it anymore, but I remember clearly a guy who suggested a button to turn off Crit damage numbers, somehow. Maybe just using normal numbers and changing their colour (as it happens with the Dodge ones) would do?
            I admit that probably my old computer doesn't help but you're right. It's not like 2 or 3 guys are complaining about the lag and I just can't believe 95% of players are playing Wartune on obsolete machines. They SHOULD do something about this.

But the point is another one. Dear Esme, the point is that WE SMART and that I've seen some nice suggestions in the forum lately. Can you submit them to the bosses so we can show all the nonbelievers that this part of the forum can be useful too, please?
            Last edited by GiordanoT88; 04-26-2015, 08:38 AM. Reason: because why not?

Comment

Originally posted by GiordanoT88 View Post
              But the point is another one. Dear Esme, the point is that WE SMART and that I've seen some nice suggestions in the forum lately. Can you submit them to the bosses so we can show all the nonbelievers that this part of the forum can be useful too, please?
              lol
              I'll point this thread out to the GMs. Whatever happens after that, I have no control over Seeing how long it has taken for a "Hide Players" button in WB, well... You know...

Comment

Wouldn't it be possible to add a function to disable dmg numbers in whole? As an option? This way you can turn on it where you need it. Could even be a 2 part option: "Show your team's dmg" and "Show opponents dmg" =)

Comment

lol
                  I'll point this thread out to the GMs. Whatever happens after that, I have no control over Seeing how long it has taken for a "Hide Players" button in WB, well... You know...
                  But in the end they did implement it, and now they've fixed it too! Anyway, thanks in advance for all you can do about this. We'll see what happens.

Originally posted by JkLoser87 View Post
                  Wouldn't it be possible to add a function to disable dmg numbers in whole? As an option? This way you can turn on it where you need it. Could even be a 2 part option: "Show your team's dmg" and "Show opponents dmg" =)
                  The problem with disabling all the numbers would be IMHO that it would not be possible to calculate accurately the dmg by paying attention to the small green HP bars alone. It's true thought that it's something they could improve. Maybe reducing the font size... ?

Comment

we already get that with the "smoke" figures. It doesn't help.

I would like to make an observation about lag.
                    It may well be that it is an intentional aspect of the game. Things are very, very competetive in China when it comes to gaming, which is why they always steal other games ideas and include it in their own game. Notice how similar this game is to about 30 other Chinese games? My theory is, by including lag, they are ensuring players spend more time on their game, and less time playing a competitors game. It's all about market share. The more there is to do in Wartune, and the longer it takes, is that much less time I have to play Space Cowboy Shoot-em-up or Alleyway Mugger Extreme.

NOt to mention better servers cost more money, and it's all about $$
                    If you can't win, cash harder

Comment

Originally posted by R225424182 View Post
                      we already get that with the "smoke" figures. It doesn't help.

I would like to make an observation about lag.
                      It may well be that it is an intentional aspect of the game. Things are very, very competetive in China when it comes to gaming, which is why they always steal other games ideas and include it in their own game. Notice how similar this game is to about 30 other Chinese games? My theory is, by including lag, they are ensuring players spend more time on their game, and less time playing a competitors game. It's all about market share. The more there is to do in Wartune, and the longer it takes, is that much less time I have to play Space Cowboy Shoot-em-up or Alleyway Mugger Extreme.

NOt to mention better servers cost more money, and it's all about $$
                      To be honest, gameplay is a lot faster when there are shadows instead of "proper" characters on the screen, at least on my computer of course. Sadly, we've got no "Shadow Players" button, so that effect is not permanent but restricted to the mere loading process. What I suggested was a proper button to set the outline as "permanent" (in the same game session).

About the rest, can't really say. Just thinking about League of Angels (which didn't lag one bit on my PC) makes me think that it could be a proper coding problem instead of a marketing strategy. But anyway... I doubt we'll ever know the truth behind all this.

Comment

I don't remember the post, but I think someone wrote there wasn't lag in china version (I doubt, but never tried, so can't say)
                        but only people like Wraith (or other who played in those server) could say if it's true or not
                        RETIRED. Too much bugs, too time consuming, too few listening from Wartune
                        Wartune : NonoBoulot : S181 : Archer

Comment

Working...
                        X