Announcement

Collapse

Website Instability

We are aware of the issue with the website being unstable. The issue is currently being worked on. We thank you for your patience in the meantime.
See more
See less

R2 site not secure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 site not secure

when did this start? i noticed an upside down exclamation point at start of address bar for both my servers and evn this forum page {no other sites i have been to show this, just the secured lock**. my question is why isnt r2 a secure site, not sure if i want to keep visiting an unsecure site

Originally posted by Zedd60 View Post
    when did this start? i noticed an upside down exclamation point at start of address bar for both my servers and evn this forum page {no other sites i have been to show this, just the secured lock**. my question is why isnt r2 a secure site, not sure if i want to keep visiting an unsecure site
    You would need to be a little more specific, by secured you mean the 'security token/certificate' that browsers give out at the address bar?

There are a number of different reasons why websites don't get 'secured', and it typically has nothing to do with security.

I mean, sure, a website can be unsecured and leaking information/data, but that's typically not what the warning indicates. It indicates that the security certificate isn't valid. In other words, typically a third party would verify the certain amounts of data encryption are present on the given site. It doesn't necessarily mean there isn't any/enough encryption, just that it isn't verified. (This is a very rudimentary explanation of course, but you get the idea)

1) It could be that the certificate hasn't started yet.
    2) It could be that the certificate has expired.
    3) It could be that the certificate isn't trusted because the issuer is unknown by the one checking the certificate.
    4) It could be untrusted because the certificate is self-signed.
    5) It could be that the certificate is only valid for certain sites, but not sub-sites. (Like these forums as opposed to the main site)
    6) It could be a browser issue.
    7) Of course, it could be R2's fault as well, for not going through the motions of getting a certificate for the site(s). This is probably the bulk of the problem in all honesty.

Myself, I have a secured connection to the main site on chrome, but not the forums. On firefox however, I do not have a secured connection on either the site or the forums. Check around google, there are a number of different solutions that you can do on your end to verify it's not your own connection/browser, but from the ever so small amounts of research I've done in looking into this, R2 is.... at least partially to blame.

I believe the payment options are all encrypted/secured by Symantec aka VeriSign, and independent from the forums/main site. So typically, unless you're feeling particularly paranoid about your account, there's probably not a huge need to worry about it too much. But yea, blame R2 if anything.

Comment

Working...
    X