Poor Tanks: game design over-favors offensive builds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Tanks: game design over-favors offensive builds

I like building tank characters. In most other games, they are appreciated in team compositions and you get to feel effective while being more "rare." However, the game design totally favors damage dealers over tanks.

-Items have tons more offensive boosts (armor pen, bonus damage, ect).
    -The world bosses only let you tank so far before they just kill you with ultimate, so Damage dealers get more bonuses.
    -Half the attacks in game jump past front line, so you can hardly tank for your team...
    -You can convert damage gems, but nothing in the defensive stats

So, tank is obviously a Knight class. But the tanky skill tree is so under-powered.
    -Lvl 3 shield boost (lvl 42) only gives you 300 more damage absorption and one more turn which you never need against actual threats.
    -The final (ultimate) ability in tree only gives you 20% dmg reduction for 2 turns.
    -Your main damage source (Reverse Damage) is a set amount of dmg; so while it's good for a few levels, its lack of scaling makes it obsolete if you keep playing past lvl 60.

Is there anyone else who feels saddened by the difficulty of making a tank build

Becouse tank (knight) will shine at lvl 50+

About convert, well...
    What gems you actually want =="
    We seriously need mdef and pdef gems after all. To what def you want to convert those two again?
    Oh, but, we'll get a complete one to convert after next patch.
    So, you can convert every gems to whatever you need after that.

I won't comment 'bout the other
    That's out of my reach .-.
    S24 - Reaper's Illusion
    IGN - Vein

Comment

1. since knight damage output is low compared oither classes, i'll take any addition to damage available by gears. i already have high def and hp compared to other classes
      2. don't tank it, let your troops tank it. you'll die at 6th boss attack anyway (unless you have 1m def or 1m hp, maybe you'll life). with slash lv2, ult slash lv2, and delphic lv1, i can get some gold and daru. enough for upgrading astrals, guild skills, and troops. with dual skill, you can have slash lv5, ult slash lv5, and delphic lv3 to get more gold and daru.
      3. apollo shield
      4. next patch, you can convert gems to any gems you want.

tank skill :
      1. its 20% from your hp +800 at lv3. if you have low hp, it will be easy to break.
      2. 30% damage reduction, 4 turns. but with error that not yet fixed by r2, when apollo is active, it says 85% reduction, but it only -30%.
      3. everytime your enemy attack hit you, they will receive 1k damage. not bad at all.

Originally posted by R25072823 View Post
      -cut-
      Is there anyone else who feels saddened by the difficulty of making a tank build
      yes its difficult. sad? why must be sad? its fun.

Comment

I like building tank characters. In most other games, they are appreciated in team compositions and you get to feel effective while being more "rare." However, the game design totally favors damage dealers over tanks.

-The world bosses only let you tank so far before they just kill you with ultimate, so Damage dealers get more bonuses.
        -Half the attacks in game jump past front line, so you can hardly tank for your team...

So, tank is obviously a Knight class. But the tanky skill tree is so under-powered.
        -Lvl 3 shield boost (lvl 42) only gives you 300 more damage absorption and one more turn which you never need against actual threats.
        -The final (ultimate) ability in tree only gives you 20% dmg reduction for 2 turns.
        -Your main damage source (Reverse Damage) is a set amount of dmg; so while it's good for a few levels, its lack of scaling makes it obsolete if you keep playing past lvl 60.

have u maxed them ? -.-
        if u dont have 2 skill tree dont whining , they are so good once its maxed ...
        [S1] Temple Of Ibalize
        NasrulEyo
        Mage
        Havoc

"I'm Moving Forward Bcoz Of Friends , Ty For Supporting Me Friends & Havoc"
        U can submit a here
        My guide

Comment

OP does have a point - tanks are supposed to be damage soakers. They are here but so many situations favor the damage dealer, it's unbalanced (insofar as events/situations go).

I do like the class balance in duels however.

Comment

lol i hate when i see my archer with nearly 4k damage hit a knight and do some critic damge of 1k+ and at the same time on a mage or fellow archer hit nearby by to 2k .. on critic.. u guys with that yellow sheild like thing i hardly do damage on it.. if i do a double hit . i look like idiot damage 0 and 0. and mean while u guys can hit me freely.. any time u need... I love to take on mages if landed correctly they are gone ( atleast for my lvl) but knights i hate to go against .. i always look for archers and mages in Arena and BG as well... i dont bother kngihts .. not worth the time and effort :P..

Comment

You Nube.
              Try to see other knight before you say like that.
              In MP dungeon lvl 50++ we dont need damage type knight.
              damage is archer job.

Comment

Great points.

The WB thing is ridiculous. It's a tremendous source of gold and dark and only cares about how much damage you can do to a single target in six turns. I guess the fact archers suck at higher levels (from what I read not by experience) more than balances that out, but as someone who hasnt cracked 50 yet it seems like Knights are penalized for trying to be tanks.

In group PVP whether arena or guild war tanks are pretty pointless given the aoe and random attacks completely pass over the tank anyway.

So in essence build a tank so other people can benefit in MPD...uh, thanks.

Comment

Who said knight are pointless on PvP?
                  My team survive better at group arena with knight.
                  More better when that knight using Apollo Shield at start so can reduced damage and made us (2 mages) survive longer from attack.
                  S24 - Reaper's Illusion
                  IGN - Vein

Comment

Working...
                  X