How R2 is Killing Wartune

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How R2 is Killing Wartune

I posted the below comments in another thread, but am creating a new topic because I think this merits some serious discussion, and I'm interested to hear what others think.

Regarding R2's decision (over the past several months) to offer enormous rewards to the Top 3 players in terms of BR, in an apparent attempt to increase in-game spending:

It's a very misguided move on R2's part. By repeatedly rewarding only the top 3 cashers on each server with overpowered rewards, R2 is artificially accelerating the gap in BR between those "top" players and everyone else, in the hopes that it will force others to cash. But here's the problem - it's having the precise opposite effect.

Even relatively heavy cashers are being discouraged from spending more than they are accustomed to, because they realize that no matter what they spend at this point, the BR gap between them and these "top 3" will only continue to increase over time, while Non-cashers certainly won't be inclined to start spending now, as they have absolutely ZERO chance at this point of becoming even REMOTELY as powerful as those at the top.

R2 may think they are encouraging the rest of the player base to spend more in-game, but they are simply shooting themselves in the foot. Of course the top players support it; it's the classic "we're at the top of the ladder, now let's pull the ladder up" approach. By artificially inflating the BR gap between a very few vs. the very many, all you are doing is ensuring that the vast majority of your player base will become even more convinced that the game is not worth their time & money.

R2 is essentially tampering with the natural state of the game's economic market; they're creating an artificially inflated bubble, and as the past has proven, attempts to manipulate markets always fail. The way for R2 to ensure they continue to profit is to let the market control itself. In other words, keep your damn hand out of it, R2 - the players themselves will provide adequate incentive for "the competition" to spend more. But no one will spend more when they see no reasonable chance of ever making it to the top (or even CLOSE to the top) themselves.

Last edited by Armageddon460; 08-11-2017, 05:15 PM.

One of many reasons why I don't do events. There is no incentive for such unless you spend, spend, spend. And really, I do not see the logic in some of the people who spend for a game that is broken (been confirmed numerous of times) in performance and play-ability (they can't even fix the bugs that are on-going but sure are quick to fix things that might be beneficial to the players and those game-breaking translation errors; oh yeah, don't let a simple mis-translation be the end of the game, LOL).

The answer is simple. If they want people to spend, then fix the game the way it supposed to be. If it means reverting back to a previous version of Wartune then so be it. They bombard us with all these surveys asking on what we think; we already told them on what we really think about their patch, but do they really listen? No, or we would have seen a better fix.

Now, to the bit about the top three. I had always say it should be renamed to the "Top 3 Spenders" of the cluster since at this point, the only way you can get there is by spending. The BR gap between non-spender and spender has widened when new content came out that requires people to spend if they want to be the first ones to get it while giving Day-O rewards to those who don't.
    Vicious! Approach with Caution!
    Because some noob has called me such and had said it so
    Mobile Strike Player: Base 1102 / Com 550 / 672* Power / VIP 1300
    Dissidia Final Fantasy - Opera Omnia: Rank 60

Comment

R2/ devs think that the top 3 spenders would encourage other people to spend more to get into the top 3 ranking, but thats rarely the case.
      It will be the same top 3 per server because thats how its always been, unless you get a server merge with another high roller the rewards are pointless.

It's been 5 years, and basically the game isn't designed anymore with the thought of players just more ways to grab your wallet.

Without major changes soon, Wartunes is basically over. Its been the same grind for over a year now, with just the merged eudaemon (void emissary, etc)

Comment

I've just decided to take a look at the server rankings for this past Rave Event. It's very sad to see the #1 ranking server is shy from being maxed. I can only speculate it not only was the result in the change of devo rules (and rewards) but the fact not many people are spending for those fun tokens anymore. Or, maybe the fact that the devs didn't listen to put in a "USE IN BULK" button for the fun tokens and players said "to hell with it" as they won't click one at a time for a lot of tokens they have saved up. I almost got Carpal Tunnel in trying to click 100 across 12 units to get the 1k personal rewards. I gave up right after that, and fully gave up when they changed the rules in making me having to play the entire day if I want to see the max benefit (which was the same number of coins when it was at the 200 devote).

Getting something for no effort is one thing. Getting something after you pulled off hours like a job because the devs don't know how to be flexible makes you not want to play any further.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Meikura001 View Post
          I've just decided to take a look at the server rankings for this past Rave Event. It's very sad to see the #1 ranking server is shy from being maxed. I can only speculate it not only was the result in the change of devo rules (and rewards) but the fact not many people are spending for those fun tokens anymore. Or, maybe the fact that the devs didn't listen to put in a "USE IN BULK" button for the fun tokens and players said "to hell with it" as they won't click one at a time for a lot of tokens they have saved up. I almost got Carpal Tunnel in trying to click 100 across 12 units to get the 1k personal rewards. I gave up right after that, and fully gave up when they changed the rules in making me having to play the entire day if I want to see the max benefit (which was the same number of coins when it was at the 200 devote).

Getting something for no effort is one thing. Getting something after you pulled off hours like a job because the devs don't know how to be flexible makes you not want to play any further.
          I think its to the point where we expect the devs will do nothing that would help the player community.
          You're right on many of your points, I dont know if you have month to month data on rave event participation, but I can guesstimate from my cluster that other than 3-4 servers, everyone else has cut back spending, or realistically quit the game.

Because the nature of the rave event is predictable, its a bi-weekly money grab, not many people have those fun tokens anymore, because you spend them faster than you can gather them, unless you're actually spending balens.

I've mentioned in other posts, if people haven't realized this game has not changed much since last year with the exception of merged eudaemon.
          So if you subtract the void emissaries/hst there hasn't been much development for this game. Events are timed, and spending is pushed forth everyday.
          And time required for the game is at an all time high for a game celebrating it's 5th anniversary with almost nothing for the player community.

Comment

This is my first time I decided to take a peek on the server rankings. I have only been collecting the server rewards of smelt stones as I do need those; and 20 a day wasn't doing me any justice as I get more outland crystals from many first place CCWs/high post occupations (due to being set with those who are inactive on other teams) that is piling up than spending.

When the Rave Event was at 200 for the max rewards of 21 total fun coins a day (without counting the ones for balen spending), a 7-day run would yield at least 147 minimum for doing the max devo of 200 (not the 250 that it is now). There was only one Rave Event (during the 200 max) that I participated in (I think it was the 2nd Rave round that came 2 weeks later) but had to give it a rest since my wrist hurt from constantly clicking on the token themselves that often lagged out after going beyond 40-50, and ultimately locked control until the entire 100-clip was empty and three minutes rolled on by. During that time, people were able to do max Rave Devo, because it was easier for them. I was not one of those who done the 300 but one time until I told myself that I won't be doing another; but 200 was easy enough for me that gave me options on days I am not there for those certain big devo events like arenas, which I can use the guild beast/divine altar in their stead to make up for the points. I hardly do tanks because of the lag that comes with it, or I am hardly there when it does happen. On good days, and when I am not perturbed into errands for the day, I can get my 200 right after I get the fights for Eud Arena in across the three teams. By then, I would have already completed the other things that would be beneficial for (and easy on) me from the time I get up and dive in (around 9am, sometimes 10) to about 2:30pm server time. If I really want to end my game day (after collecting what I needed for it via hot events, farm, etc.), I would throw in the guild related stuff (since I run my own guild) before group arena comes on; so the rest of the day is free.

All things went to hell when they changed the requirements to 250. Even if I throw in the guild stuff, I would be 20 short that I have to find other things that I have to do (and probably don't like doing because it is something that is malicious towards me, LOL), or have to wait much later for another event comes on for me to capitalize on. My day is shot when it comes to such that I just leave the Rave event alone. It gives you the same number of fun coins a day (not counting the balen related stuff) for almost an entire day's worth of playing.

I had one Rave Event where it was enough points to retrieve up to level 3 rewards of smelting stones. So, yes, either the players are not spending enough or they had quit over the shenanigans of R2 and the developers. I will give a gander to the next round of Rave in about 2 weeks to see if those numbers are the same or dwindling.

Comment

I previously wrote a post about Imperial War imbalance, and stacked guilds.
              http://forum.r2games.com/forum/brows...f-imperial-war

So this is one of the reasons why this game is dying, since servers are losing active players/payers, the most logical reason is to merge them to "drive up competition"

I noted that basically Twlight guild has the most advantage based on the number of servers that are merged, and number of active players.

As you can see from the photo, Outlanders received a generous merge also (weeks after imperial war new season has started)
              And R2 has noted they dont "control" these merges http://forum.r2games.com/forum/brows...07#post1653507

They were 1.4B in guild strength prior to new merges, now 2.6B

So its either 1 of 2 things or both.
              • Opps! Someone messed up and realized that there is an imbalance of guild strength, and we better start making things more reasonably competitive again
              • Players are abandoning the game, and servers are not as active, so its better to consolidate resources.
              There are more Wartune, Kabam publishers than others listed, so for a publisher like Kongregate they have limited partners to merge from their history.

We'll see moving forward if there are more plans of more contraction given how the 5th anniversary is, and how things have been playing out.
              But we can be sure that the top 2 spots for Imperial War is locked up.

This is the sort of thing that deters people from bothering with events anymore because of the significant imbalance, and just poor management.
              Last edited by Takashi007x; 08-14-2017, 12:07 AM.

Comment

When my own ship is making the top 10 for IW, it's no longer funny (as I do not expect to be that far up the chain). I finally got the gist on who gets to spar with me for that day when I look at the rankings list. The guild I was up against, had at least 2-3x more BR than what I was carrying (then again, I only have my units on there without anyone else until recently). I would have thought that I was going to lose for the week but only 2 folks (one of which was a 5 Mil BR KH) for the majority of the bout. About 10k point spread (mine was 13k, theirs were 3k) and 30 minutes later, another KH and a low-be showed up, but the match was done for as there was no way for them to save it. At 40 minutes, it was totally over.

I don't know if I am going to be Day-O'd on but I am sure with the rate this game has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if I managed to glide on due to the points I be getting from the bouts.

Event wise, I am pretty much done for. Nothing tickles my fancy any more or gives an incentive to any effort I might have put forth.

Comment

I suspect the real intent of the rewards for top 3 only is to try to encourage #3 and #2 to compete for the #1 spot.

Comment

Working...
                  X