Battleground Typo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleground Typo

Just thought I would point out something that grammar nazi's either have missed or just hasn't been fixed yet. When somebody kills enough ppl in the bg to get the announcement "xx" has killed more soles than the grimm reaper. So did the reaper start killing shoe soles? Sorry had to add the sarcastic question at the end. Anyway. It should be Souls, not Soles.

been reported

Comment

and it has been pointed out that soles is in fact the correct use of the word when used in that context.
      Sole- adj. - being the only one
      So if "xx" has killed more soles than the grimm reaper. that sentence is correct because you the player killed more single targets AKA soles than the grimm reaper
      Last edited by sarconwindsong2002; 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

It just sounds odd to me. lol

Comment

In the future there is a thread for language issues.
          http://forum.r2games.com/showthread....n-game-Chinese

Comment

Originally posted by R24877577 View Post
            In the future there is a thread for language issues.
            http://forum.r2games.com/showthread....n-game-Chinese
            Thx. New to the forum and didn't see it at first glance/search.

Comment

Originally posted by sarconwindsong2002 View Post
              and it has been pointed out that soles is in fact the correct use of the word when used in that context.
              Sole- adj. - being the only one
              So if "xx" has killed more soles than the grimm reaper. that sentence is correct because you the player killed more single targets AKA soles than the grimm reaper
              The part of speech being referenced is a noun. 'Sole' cannot be the answer here unless the sentence is restructured.

I also countered that argument in another thread. I'll find it. One moment.

Edit: Irony, you also made the same case before. Link HERE.
              Last edited by KnowingEyes7; 02-25-2013, 08:58 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Kinda what I thought. The sentence should read something like killed more Sole Souls but I would think Soul would be the proper singular of Souls.

Comment

it depends how it is used in the sentence. If it's a person, place, thing, or idea in the sentence, it's a noun.
                  You can try the process of elimination, too. If it's showing action, it's not a noun; if it's describing something, it's not a noun, and if it's telling how someone does something, (like quickly, slowly) it's not a noun. in this sentence because Soles is being used to describe the fact that you have slaughtered more soles than the reaper it is not a noun.
                  Originally posted by KnowingEyes7 View Post
                  The part of speech being referenced is a noun. 'Sole' cannot be the answer here unless the sentence is restructured.

I also countered that argument in another thread. I'll find it. One moment.

Edit: Irony, you also made the same case before. Link HERE.

Comment

KnowingEyes is correct obviously.

I also came across another battlegrounds typo; Incase you can't spot it "Eneter"
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	4CiesfF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	1664430

Comment

Originally posted by sarconwindsong2002 View Post
                      it depends how it is used in the sentence. If it's a person, place, thing, or idea in the sentence, it's a noun.
                      You can try the process of elimination, too. If it's showing action, it's not a noun; if it's describing something, it's not a noun, and if it's telling how someone does something, (like quickly, slowly) it's not a noun. in this sentence because Soles is being used to describe the fact that you have slaughtered more soles than the reaper it is not a noun.
                      No sir.

"Gerunds" are nouns that refer to an action or other type of verb. This means your, "person, place, thing or idea" rule is out. The English languages has all sorts of exceptions.

The crux of your argument (again) is that "sole" can be used since it defines a certain quantity. This means you are attempting to use it as an adjective. In the game, the word in question is being used as a noun. Therefore, unless the sentence is restructured, you cannot use "sole" in place of "soul".

Even if you persist, I highly doubt the game localization meant for a player to be reported as slaughtering a large number of the undersides of feet (both nouns).

Comment

No sir.

"Gerunds" are nouns that refer to an action or other type of verb. This means your, "person, place, thing or idea" rule is out. The English languages has all sorts of exceptions.

The crux of your argument (again) is that "sole" can be used since it defines a certain quantity. This means you are attempting to use it as an adjective. In the game, the word in question is being used as a noun. Therefore, unless the sentence is restructured, you cannot use "sole" in place of "soul".

Even if you persist, I highly doubt the game localization meant for a player to be reported as slaughtering a large number of the undersides of feet (both nouns).
                        The poor feet!!!

But yes it should be 'souls' not 'soles'
                        Yitien:

Class: Assassin lvl 78
                        BR: 67K
                        Server: Qianfo Hall

Comment

Originally posted by Barbarossa View Post
                          The poor feet!!!
                          Every once in awhile, during BGs, people actually say this in current chat... still. {weak chuckle**

Comment

Every once in awhile, during BGs, people actually say this in current chat... still. {weak chuckle**
                            Hahaha I don't do that in current chat...its an old joke now...
                            Yitien:

Class: Assassin lvl 78
                            BR: 67K
                            Server: Qianfo Hall

Comment

Working...
                            X