No announcement yet.

I'd rather play to win than pay to win.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd rather play to win than pay to win.

The disparity between pay to win and play to win has grown too large. I no longer feel good about beating people because I know the main reason I've won is due to the fact that I've spent money on this game. Conversely, when I'm beaten, I know it is mainly because I refused to spend AS MUCH money as they have.

The recent changes to the game have only made it more obvious.

I have seen people buy themselves to a status that LITERALLY makes them unkillable 1v1. This game promotes spending money to win, not spending money to support the game.

I have spent around $160 on this game in the last three months. This helped create a gap that ensures no non-paying person will beat me 1v1.

Yesterday, I watched someone spend that in a few seconds to net themselves somewhere around +330 patk/mdef/pdef ON TOP of everything they already had. I've seen people hit the monthly spending cap and achieve a soul engraving that doubles mine as well as gems that I could only attain through another solid half a year of playing in a matter of minutes.

I play games for fun, and I strive to be the best. I encourage all the people I play with to do the same. I know 25 people isn't a lot, but most of Ubiquity Gaming is done with Wartune, and a large number of our friends are as well.

The thing that bothers me the most is that you have people who can afford it paying to win, and people that have invested a huge portion of their time feeling pressured into paying money to compete with those people even if they can't afford it. I know that decision is on them, but this game is advertised as free to play. Playing a game denotes being able to enjoy it. I started a new character a couple months back, and I can tell you playing Wartune without paying for VIP, wings, and other bonuses just isn't fun if you care about being competitive.

My suggestion to R2 would have been simple, stop creating items/bonuses that can be purchased to create a statistical difference between players, or AT LEAST make those bonuses have a cap. Take a page from Riot, they have done free to play the best I've seen it done, and they are thriving at a level that surpasses most others. Unfortunately, I know it's too late in the game, and people have invested too much money for them to change their model.

TL;DR : Veteran Player done with Wartune. Good luck!

Originally posted by iebayedmyskillz View Post
    The disparity between pay to win and play to win has grown too large. I no longer feel good about beating people because I know the main reason I've won is due to the fact that I've spent money on this game. Conversely, when I'm beaten, I know it is mainly because I refused to spend AS MUCH money as they have.

I have seen people buy themselves to a status that LITERALLY makes them unkillable 1v1. This game promotes spending money to win, not spending money to support the game.

I have spent around $160 on this game in the last three months. This helped create a gap that ensures no non-paying person will beat me 1v1.

Yesterday, I watched someone spend that in a few seconds to net themselves somewhere around +330 patk/mdef/pdef ON TOP of everything they already had. I've seen people hit the monthly spending cap and achieve a soul engraving that doubles mine as well as gems that I could only attain through another solid half a year of playing in a matter of minutes.

I play games for fun, and I strive to be the best. I encourage all the people I play with to do the same. I know 25 people isn't a lot, but most of Ubiquity Gaming is done with Wartune, and a large number of our friends are as well.

The thing that bothers me the most is that you have people who can afford it paying to win, and people that have invested a huge portion of their time feeling pressured into paying money to compete with those people even if they can't afford it. I know that decision is on them, but this game is advertised as free to play. Playing a game denotes being able to enjoy it. I started a new character a couple months back, and I can tell you playing Wartune without paying for VIP, wings, and other bonuses just isn't fun if you care about being competitive.

My suggestion to R2 would have been simple, stop creating items/bonuses that can be purchased to create a statistical difference between players, or AT LEAST make those bonuses have a cap. Take a page from Riot, they have done free to play the best I've seen it done, and they are thriving at a level that surpasses most others. Unfortunately, I know it's too late in the game, and people have invested too much money for them to change their model.

yes good luck, R2 staffs will wish u happy journey!
    Five Sylphs for the Heros in wartune,
    Two for the Whales in their deep blue ocean,
    Three for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Big Whales on their dark throne
    In the Land of Wartune where the heroes lie.
    One sylph to crush them all, One sylph to kill mobs,
    One sylph to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Wartune where the Moby duck lie."

Comment

I only have two questions for you. Before you invested in the game, didn't you see all the gems, soul crystals, mounts, clothes/wings and the like available for purchase? If so, wasn't it possible at that time to think, "some people are bound to heavily invest in the game and become powerful"?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowingEyes7 View Post
        I only have two questions for you. Before you invested in the game, didn't you see all the gems, soul crystals, mounts, clothes/wings and the like available for purchase? If so, wasn't it possible at that time to think, "some people are bound to heavily invest in the game and become powerful"?
        Honestly, my initial investment was simply because I enjoyed the game; I also didn't intend on taking a browser game seriously. At the time of my first purchase the only thing that gave an obvious stat increase were the wings anyways. The prices on the gems made me go "Lol like anyone is going to pay that much money for such a small boost." I saw them more as a, I need one gem... ONE GEM to make the next one!!!!!.... MUST BUY. I hadn't considered the possibility of people spending thousands of dollars on a browser game.

To answer the question, sure it was possible to think that, but I had no reason to come to that conclusion.

Comment

good to play to win, everyone happy is real happy.
          I hope you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R21577189 View Post
            good to play to win, everyone happy is real happy.
            I hope you happy.
            Thanks man, I am happy- very much so

Comment

Honestly, my initial investment was simply because I enjoyed the game; I also didn't intend on taking a browser game seriously. At the time of my first purchase the only thing that gave an obvious stat increase were the wings anyways. The prices on the gems made me go "Lol like anyone is going to pay that much money for such a small boost." I saw them more as a, I need one gem... ONE GEM to make the next one!!!!!.... MUST BUY. I hadn't considered the possibility of people spending thousands of dollars on a browser game.

To answer the question, sure it was possible to think that, but I had no reason to come to that conclusion.
              I'm trying to be nice when I say this - but you do know that some players with (tons of) disposable cash will heavily invest in almost any game, right? I mean - before you invested, did you check the top tiered players on your server? Did you check out their gear, gem levels, astral levels and all that jazz? Didn't you also think, "there may be players that start after me and buy *their* way to "godlike" status"?

Comment

I'm trying to be nice when I say this - but you do know that some players with (tons of) disposable cash will heavily invest in almost any game, right? I mean - before you invested, did you check the top tiered players on your server? Did you check out their gear, gem levels, astral levels and all that jazz? Didn't you also think, "there may be players that start after me and buy *their* way to "godlike" status"?
                No... and not to be mean, but it's almost like I just answered that.

I never intended on taking this game seriously. Nor did I know what any of that meant. It's not like I studied the game before I decided to play it... it's a browser game... It was meant to be a temporary distraction between other things. I got hooked before realizing what the end game would be like.

Truthfully though, I figured anyone with that much disposable income with a will to compete would not be playing a browser game to satisfy that need...
                Last edited by iebayedmyskillz; 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

No... and not to be mean, but it's almost like I just answered that.

I never intended on taking this game seriously. Nor did I know what any of that meant. It's not like I studied the game before I decided to play it... it's a browser game... It was meant to be a temporary distraction between other things. I got hooked before realizing what the end game would be like.

Truthfully though, I figured anyone with that much disposable income with a will to compete would not be playing a browser game to satisfy that need...
                  I'll refrain from pursuing this further unless pressed. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Comment

I'll refrain from pursuing this further unless pressed. Good luck on your future endeavors.
                    What is there to pursue? The only thing you've said is "You should have known this would happen". Eloquent trolling is still trolling.

Comment

What is there to pursue? The only thing you've said is "You should have known this would happen". Eloquent trolling is still trolling.
                      ... and there's the "press".

"I never intended on taking this game seriously." ...But there must be players who do, right? For most games/MMOs/++, this happens quite a bit.
                      "It's not like I studied the game before I decided to play it." ...But when you decided to invest, you didn't take pause and think about all this?
                      "It's a browser game." ...But it's still a game that some will take seriously which has elements of purchase contained therein... which is the focus in your OP.
                      "It's a temporary distraction." ...If that's the case, then at some point you would have resigned anyway? Why complain?
                      "I got hooked before realizing what the end game was like." ...That's the draw of any game. It is your responsibility not to get drawn in and to objectively note aspects of said game.
                      "I figured anyone with that much disposable income with a will to compete would not be playing a browser game to satisfy that need..." As stated before, any game with a competitive element will have players that elect to do so.

Thanks for the "eloquent rolling" comment. I try. Just for you.

Comment

But there must be players who do, right? For most games/MMOs/++, this happens quite a bit.

- This is true... I can state random facts too

But when you decided to invest, you didn't take pause and think about all this?

- I said I spent money because I like the game, I'm not complaining that I've spent money...

But it's still a game that some will take seriously which has elements of purchase contained therein... which is the focus in your OP

- Some elements of purchase, it's not that you can purchase things, it's that you can straight up PAY to be better than someone.

If that's the case, then at some point you would have resigned anyway? Why complain?

- Again, it turned into more than that- that should be obvious

That's the draw of any game. It is your responsibility not to get drawn in and to objectively note aspects of said game.

- No it's not, I am not a game reviewer.

As stated before, any game with a competitive element will have players that elect to do so.

- Paying to win is NOT a competition.

Eloquent rolling... is that a barrel roll with a monocle?

Comment

But there must be players who do, right? For most games/MMOs/++, this happens quite a bit.

- This is true... I can state random facts too

But when you decided to invest, you didn't take pause and think about all this?

- I said I spent money because I like the game, I'm not complaining that I've spent money...

But it's still a game that some will take seriously which has elements of purchase contained therein... which is the focus in your OP

- Some elements of purchase, it's not that you can purchase things, it's that you can straight up PAY to be better than someone.

If that's the case, then at some point you would have resigned anyway? Why complain?

- Again, it turned into more than that- that should be obvious

That's the draw of any game. It is your responsibility not to get drawn in and to objectively note aspects of said game.

- No it's not, I am not a game reviewer.

As stated before, any game with a competitive element will have players that elect to do so.

- Paying to win is NOT a competition.

Eloquent rolling... is that a barrel roll with a monocle?
                          1. It's not random at all. Players take games seriously far more often than not. Where's the fake it that fact again?
                          2. No, you're complaining about the relative power that came with your purchases. If you can buy that relative power, others can buy more of it.
                          3. It does have pay to win elements. Your argument one level up form this was it's a browser game - as if a browser game is intrinsically less on some grand scale of games.
                          4. Again, you invested cash to eventually resign and admitted it. Why? If you were bound to quit, then leaving shouldn't be an issue... unless you spent more (read: drawn in) than your means.
                          5. You should be a game reviewer. Besides, do you not do research before investing or spending?
                          6. Unfortunately, it is - it's just not by your definition.

You took the potshot with "eloquent trolling" comment which had zero to do with the general intent of the thread.

Comment

another fellow ex veteran player bites the dust and than I see knowing eyes with his trolling in attempts to get another thread closed by instigating the OP which to me is so immature and sets a real bad tone for the forums. this guy came on said he was quitting stating the reasons why he is quitting and than gets questioned on his reasoning? let it be, he sees the truth of the reality and as such is leaving the game. i too came to the same conclusion in my hopes that the game would lesson off and the prices would start to diminish as they did in the china version of game but than i realized that the greed of r2 will never let this happen. every patch is about the paying player giving them more and more stuff to pay for while no thought or anything goes into the non cashing player, you want to make the game fair to all than have a monthly spending cap of 50 a month on a new server and don't let it go to hell like all the others have, call it a competition server and let the best player with the most skills win and not the person who has the most money win, I know for a fact if this type of server were to hit it would be the most populated server in the game and everyone of the players on it would be having a great time playing, but who am I, I'm just a international marketing manager for a large corporation i know nothing about these type of things, if r2 had a person like me on their staffing wartune would not be where it is today, it just takes a little bit of brains to see where they could capitalize on the game but their brains are in their wallets
                            giving game one last chance :

guild leader : endangered
                            server 164 brighthollow
                            class : archer
                            current level : 54
                            favorite title : Balenor's Number One Guild Master

Comment

Originally posted by dethmatic View Post
                              another fellow ex veteran player bites the dust and than I see knowing eyes with his trolling in attempts to get another thread closed by instigating the OP which to me is so immature and sets a real bad tone for the forums. this guy came on said he was quitting stating the reasons why he is quitting and than gets questioned on his reasoning? let it be, he sees the truth of the reality and as such is leaving the game. i too came to the same conclusion in my hopes that the game would lesson off and the prices would start to diminish as they did in the china version of game but than i realized that the greed of r2 will never let this happen. every patch is about the paying player giving them more and more stuff to pay for while no thought or anything goes into the non cashing player, you want to make the game fair to all than have a monthly spending cap of 50 a month on a new server and don't let it go to hell like all the others have, call it a competition server and let the best player with the most skills win and not the person who has the most money win, I know for a fact if this type of server were to hit it would be the most populated server in the game and everyone of the players on it would be having a great time playing, but who am I, I'm just a international marketing manager for a large corporation i know nothing about these type of things, if r2 had a person like me on their staffing wartune would not be where it is today, it just takes a little bit of brains to see where they could capitalize on the game but their brains are in their wallets
                              R2 is smart organisation, they milk players.

Comment

Working...
                              X