Test Server Proposal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Server Proposal

I have played many games where you were able to test out high level builds - this was to determine balance and help the players gear/skill towards the future. This also helped bring more money into the game, because when players saw what they were capable of with the right gear etc, they started putting money into their characters on the proper server to achieve these goals.

To stop people abusing the server, you make all new characters max level, with a predefined armour set for that level, the same for all classes with the same level of skills (again for balanced testing)
    The server should not allow guild creation, events (apart from maybe wb, for dmg tests) - this will stop people from making it their permanent home.
    The accounts should be allowed to reset their skills and talent points as much as they want on the server to continuously test new builds.
    Keep the arena etc working, so people can test these builds and see who has found the best ones and possibly ask for advice.

Apart from possibly helping bring more money into the game, this would also once and for all either stop all the "the games un balanced" threads (which i have made one myself) or it would allow the developers to see where balancing needs to put done.

Obviously a lot more thought needs to be put into something like that, but in my personal oppinion, i think it could help.

Nice idea. Could also be used for patch testing too.

Comment

Awesome idea! This has good effects to the company and customers!
      Love it +1
      Game: Wartune
      Server: 2 Edena Village
      Class: Mage
      Name: Mary Magdalene
      Following the guide from Ginger and Creamy ^_^

Best troll ever ^_^

I'm Probably in the sky,
      Flying with the fishes,
      Or maybe in the Ocean,
      swimming with the pigeons,
      See my world is Different.

Comment

It is a nice idea, I agree. However, I know a lot of people are going to stay there, permanently, while having their activities as per normal (except the guild related stuffs). If you want a community, just make a dungeon room, party chat of 4 can be much more livelier than a guild of 200 people.
        The Last Remnant OSTs Go!!!

{OuO**

Comment

very interesting idea and suggestion... but the trouble I have with the suggestion is why do it ?... there is only so much testing that can be done....and so it seems like a paradox

the other part of your suggestion that makes me question your suggestion is the following
          the players tell r2 that they are greedy and only care about the money.... then they use the money as a way of trying to make their suggestion appear better ???

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spock_Finds_You_Illogical.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1666219
          Last edited by Kitwritten; 03-31-2013, 10:16 PM.
          Dragon Pals and Shadowbound Mod and Basic tech support

R2 Serrin, My partner and fiancee, RIP 1971-2015
          Cha bhi fios aire math an tobair gus an trÃ*igh e.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitwritten View Post
            very interesting idea and suggestion... but the trouble I have with the suggestion is why do it ?... there is only so much testing that can be done....and so it seems like a paradox
            From THIS thread and your relevant post:

server one is the test server with very experienced players that have done test work before, so its easier to work with them than have to deal with a whole new team for every patch...and that could mean a 2-3 week delay between testing on server one and going live across all the servers
            Contradictory. You backed using a live server to test - yet when a suggestion is made to utilize a test server to determine testing and balance, you flag said testing (etc.).

By the way, where is the paradox? Gaming companies usually put forth patches, spy balance, load stress and all that jazz on a test server.

the other part of your suggestion that makes me question your suggestion is the following
            the players tell r2 that they are greedy and only care about the money.... then they use the money as a way of trying to make their suggestion appear better ???
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]37909[/ATTACH]
            These are two separate arguments. The initial concept is players' beliefs about a company's wishes pertaining to profit/cash flow/++ while the second iteration is players' ideas about that concept.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37909[/ATTACH]
              Yes, only so much testing can be done, you are right, but if you look past the companies need to test, whcih arises with every patch and possible complaint, there is a continuous stream of new players who in turn may want to test out builds as the old players would have if the test server went up.

The test server would be as much for the players benefit as the companies.

I dont and never have complained about the company being out to make money, thats how a business model works, yes i could say some things are a bit over priced, like a socketing rod is around £2 of real money, but that aside, the test server would allow players to see the potential of paying the money, they would be able to see how strong their characters could actually get with a little contribution towards the companies on going work.

In responce to DeathRiver - I do not really see the benefit of any player taking up permanent footing on a restricted server? What benefit is there by doing this? There would be no rankings, no events, no claim to fame/power? If they want community, they have that on their own server where progression can also be made.
              You also say that they would continue to play their proper servers, so even if they did take up a permanent footing on a test server, the company still would not loose out.

Comment

Working...
              X