Censorship gone to far

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censorship gone to far

So we had a new member join our guild today and we all tried to welcome her, but we actually got was a "we@!#@" because come is a bad word.

I dunno what to say really, you could add wild cards to censorship so if its come on its own its blocked, but if its part of another word, its fine but still... what happens when I want someone to come and join me in a room for arena?

Oh poll option, shall we do a poll and see who else thinks that the censorship on this game is a bit over the top?
    Censorship on this game is to much
    92.86%
    Censorship on this game is not enough
    0.00%
    Censorship on this game is just right
    7.14%

Players complain about every thing they could.

No, the censorship is fine. The censorship is to protect the players from potential hacking/abuse.
    The following examples show why some of the "words" are censored:
    1) GM -- this is to prevent potential hackers who create account names GM_Zeus, GM_Aries.
    2) com -- as someone said before, this is to prevent hackers from being able to re-direct other players to websites ending with .com (might be a website with virus/malware, keylogging), etc.

Don't complain about everything. Many barriers are in place to protect you. They may cause you minor inconveniences, but prove to be more good than harm.
    Officially retired from Wartune and Forums.
    [No longer logging in]

Comment

I admit sometimes censoure annoyed me aswell, but it's not that bad and i do agree with the GM and com censoures. Also about "welcome" i never had a problem writing that word...always appeared without @%&@ or whatever other signs appear when censouring.

Comment

I fail to see how having a user name with GM at the front of it can make a hacker. Sure you can pose as a guild master but if there was an option to see guild masters anyway, there would be no need for it.

As for the com, surely they'd just put the block on .com instead of anything with com in it? Isn't a job for the anti virus companies to defend against virus' not game companies? The worst you're likely to pick up is a toolbar and lets be honest, half the adverts from the "Get free balens" are riddles with toolbar **** as well, so if they really where looking out for us wouldnt they remove these ads as well?

Comment

yea i was shock to discover com being censored too, since "come" is such a common (look, common includes "com" too) word to use in everyday speech. i found it excessively irritating that "com" is being censored and yes, it has gone too far. if they meant to protect us from malicious websites then censor .com instead.

Comment

Originally posted by R213492451 View Post
            I fail to see how having a user name with GM at the front of it can make a hacker. Sure you can pose as a guild master but if there was an option to see guild masters anyway, there would be no need for it.

As for the com, surely they'd just put the block on .com instead of anything with com in it? Isn't a job for the anti virus companies to defend against virus' not game companies? The worst you're likely to pick up is a toolbar and lets be honest, half the adverts from the "Get free balens" are riddles with toolbar **** as well, so if they really where looking out for us wouldnt they remove these ads as well?
            GM is Game Moderator, silly.

Whoever said it was Guild Master.
            [No longer logging in]

Comment

Try typing "accumulation"....

I totally agree, the word filter is being done too sloppy. A bit more care to allow people to converse in normal english without having to search for synonymes ever other word would be nice.

Comment

Ah okay, didn't think of that one.

Comment

As for romanians is quite hard to speak without censorship ... acum = now or different word get censorshiped .. bleax who wrote the censor file was a robot ...

Comment

Nnd is blocked, typing 6 w is blocked hell in swedish but not english is locked. I can go on like this all day... But

Just these ^ is just an example.. Further more, could we line, please, get a smiley that just smiley and dont go :P or laughs... Please ... And in PMs as well, add smileys there
                    S166. lvl: 78(soon/is)
                    Mage: Existence (G.M)
                    BR: 113k-ish 70 set's done!!

Comment

this game censored the word "adult". you cannot get any more stupid than that.

as for the one who said "com" is blocked to prevent phishing etc., there's a few flaw in your logic. 1) we cant hotlink in game 2) net, org, co, and others aren't censored too.
                      Originally posted by Wraithraiser
                      Welcome to R2 forums. Where quality is nonexistent and quantity is only measured in the number of whines a single day can produce.

Comment

Censorship on this game is just right..
                        Last edited by jasonyi; 05-16-2013, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlad View Post
                          this game censored the word "adult". you cannot get any more stupid than that.

as for the one who said "com" is blocked to prevent phishing etc., there's a few flaw in your logic. 1) we cant hotlink in game 2) net, org, co, and others aren't censored too.
                          You can click on links, in case you didn't know.
                          [No longer logging in]

Comment

Originally posted by CondorHero View Post
                            You can click on links, in case you didn't know.
                            i stand corrected. i never knew we can click the link.
                            but still, why they only censored "com" and not the others?
                            Originally posted by Wraithraiser
                            Welcome to R2 forums. Where quality is nonexistent and quantity is only measured in the number of whines a single day can produce.

Comment

It must differ per server, because I can write com all I want and it doesn't get censored. 'www' however does gets censored all of a sudden.

Comment

Working...
                              X