Announcement

Collapse

Website Instability

We are aware of the issue with the website being unstable. The issue is currently being worked on. We thank you for your patience in the meantime.
See more
See less

An open letter to Wartune about PvP balance and Sylphs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open letter to Wartune about PvP balance and Sylphs.

I know there have been threads about this before but I feel strongly enough about this to make a thread of my own to explain my reasoning, and perhaps someone will actually read it, preferrably someone higher up the chain. Sending a support ticket about this seems a bit meaningless.

The way you are implementing the Sylphs now is effectively destroying the balance of the game.

To take an example of a highly successful game that is admittedly very far from Wartune, I'll give you Guild Wars I. I played that game for years and had a lot of fun doing so. Like Guild Wars, Wartune is a PvE and PvP game, though GW focused more on the PvP part of the game, there was far less grinding to get "optimal gear" and the rest was just eye candy, which didn't stop a lot of people (myself including) to grind for it anyway. It was also a free game in the sense that once you paid for the game and subsequent expansions, you didn't have to pay a penny. There, again, these two games differ tremendously.

What Guild Wars did have was a staff that was closely monitoring PvP balance issues. Updates to fix broken skills and broken skill combos were issued on a regular basis, sometimes as often as once a week. If one "meta" was demonstrated to be so far superior to one other that it was virtually unbeatable, changes were made. Also, even if they weren't, all it took was one month to roll a new class and get with the new meta and play on a competitive level.

Rolling a new class on Wartune like that isn't possible, which makes it even more important that PvP balance issues are addressed, and there, you sadly seem to fail completely.

The new Iris sylph, with the extra skills available for purchase, makes the game ridiculous. All a player needs to do right now is to roll an archer, get it to level 50, farm an Iris sylph, get that one to level 55 (which isn't hard since Talents set in at level 50) and by the mid fifties they will have a transformed state featuring:

Blessed Light - Stronger than the maxed Mage version.
    Purification - Stronger than the maxed Mage version.
    Restoration - Stronger than the maxed Mage version.
    Delphic Hell Thunder - Stronger than the maxed Mage version, 15 seconds faster recharge.

None of these skills consume any rage.

This is a skill tree that no mage is even capable to achieve at this level. A level 54 mage trying to mimick even the first three of these skills would end up with a skill tree where his only offensive skills would be Meteor 3, Lightning Bolt 2 and Rain of Fire 2.

Meanwhile an archer will have full freedom to choose all the skills he needs to make life hell for any enemy. Also do not forget that all the skills I have mentioned are subject to critical scores and archers crit better than any other class.

Clearly, this is unacceptable, and game-breaking.

There are tons of more issues about how the added skills break the game for various classes (and I expect it to go even more insane with added Sylphs, question is only who will be hit the hardest), but I think this will do.

Now, I understand that this is for all intents and purposes a Pay To Win game. People can simply say "well, just cash more on your character". Problem is I don't think this is a wise business move for Wartune. What will happen is that mages (more than any other class) will tire of the game, realizing they can never keep up with the other classes' inherent superiorities, and simply quit or at least.... Not pay much more. It's either that or trying to make another character. How many people will be prepared to repeat the same grind all over again to get to level 70+ and start kicking? I gather not many.

I implore you to fix this, one way or the other. You are making mages a redundant class. In fact, you're practically making Knights redundant too. All you need are archers.

Imagine if you introduced a Sylph that featured Armor Piercer, Scatter Shot, Deep Freeze and Incendiary Shot? Archers would cry to high heaven... And rightfully so.

You could say I'm biased. I play a mage, and I've had a good time doing it. Nevertheless I do believe I make valid points.

Best, Thomas
    Last edited by MolochMage; 12-12-2013, 02:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
    [US West S6 Duskin Arena] [Moloch] [Level 70] [Battle Rating 105k] [Lord Divine] [Critical Mage] [Guild: United Soul]
    [60 Armor] [70 jewels] [60 rings]

Miracles Do Happen

There will be a Lightning sylph that will do more damage than an archer. Can we get angry too then?
    And sylphs are supplement, not mandatory, you still need a good mage for the hard parts.
    You need to look at the future man, not the present, most of what you see today, is only a part of what is to come.

For example they'll have 80+ mpds and such in newer patches, don't think for a second you'll be able to do that with sylphs alone.
    Player Class: Archer
    Battle Rating : 162k+

^ Manly purple!

Comment

I'd say you'd be allowed to get angry when they introduce a sylph that effectively mimicks the basic skill set that makes an archer invaluable in MPDs. The skills that define the class. Will the Lightning Sylph come with Scatter Shot, Deep Freeze and Incendiary Shot?
      [US West S6 Duskin Arena] [Moloch] [Level 70] [Battle Rating 105k] [Lord Divine] [Critical Mage] [Guild: United Soul]
      [60 Armor] [70 jewels] [60 rings]

Miracles Do Happen

Comment

Originally posted by MolochMage View Post
        I'd say you'd be allowed to get angry when they introduce a sylph that effectively mimicks the basic skill set that makes an archer invaluable in MPDs. The skills that define the class. Will the Lightning Sylph come with Scatter Shot, Deep Freeze and Incendiary Shot?
        Heal doesn't define mages, it's a part of you yes, but it doesn't define you.
        Basically you're asking a copyright on everything healing related for mages alone.
        Why aren't you happy with Iris? Instead of being so angry at it, I'm sure you get further in instances like ToK now because of it.
        It helps you way more than it damages you. I don't think anyone will go 'oh we have Iris so we won't invite mages', I haven't seen anyone say that.
        Maybe some do it and post it here to show off, but I'm sure they prefer having a mage with them (which is more valuable than a sylph).
        Last edited by IggyBousse; 12-12-2013, 05:14 AM.

^ Manly purple!

Comment

Before our knight started using sylph iris for heals map we were finishing LL NM in 20m, means we gt max time on scroll for SPs, now he play iris it taking longer, for the sake of effiacy is best to leave healing to mages in most situations, and let your toon do what it do best.

Iris sylph best used when ur tok or spire team only gt one mage (or you're struggling to beat a high level) and ofc in arena, which shd really jus be renamed pet wars
          Blizzarea
          S147
          Epic

~ Atoll is Purgatory for Wartuners ~

Comment

Breeze Blade: 150% + 100 physical wind damage to a single back row target. This skill has +10% Crit Rate. 5 seconds cooldown
            Spirit of Wind(Passive): When you critical on an enemy, their block is reduced 10% for 2 rounds.

These skills of Pan makes you like archers... hehe And I heard that the lightning sylph in future will also have an effect like deep freeze... So don't worry... What I can say is that they should redundant the knight.

Comment

lol stupids. Its only disbalanced because R2 made that buff 1000% awakening rate for everyone to spend money. Once the buff is disabled, you can only awaken every 4-5th fight and your sylph will be ************ most of the time

Comment

the only real imbalance is the sylph awakaning rate - x1000%

Comment

That buff is for up to lvl 54 sylph, my lvl 60+ sylphs still awaken fast...

^ Manly purple!

Comment

'working as intended' xD

Comment

Originally posted by koetsu View Post
                      'working as intended' xD
                      Any proof? That's just insinuating you do now.

^ Manly purple!

Comment

Iris is fine pve, as it helps all classes.

in PVP it sucks, cause it makes anyone who loses to a mage, a total n00b.

Comment

after lvl 55 X10 aweking speed is added 1000% buff is given just for low level pets maybe because the sylph system is new and to give a chance to people with loow level sylphs.
                          Sarcasm Intended

Comment

accoring to fourms :
                            water sylph = mage skills
                            electric sylph = archer skill
                            now if there is a knight skill replacement i would love to use intercept.
                            Sarcasm Intended

Comment

Originally posted by R29296591 View Post
                              accoring to fourms :
                              water sylph = mage skills
                              electric sylph = archer skill
                              now if there is a knight skill replacement i would love to use intercept.
                              It's called HS .

^ Manly purple!

Comment

Working...
                              X