No announcement yet.

Serious Question. What would you do...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Question. What would you do...

Hey all,

So today I'm working from home cause of snow, my kid sitting in my lap during lunchtime while I've got Wartune open (he enjoys the fights and effects) and I'm being harassed by a dude from my server cluster. Long story short, after laying into my family he then accuses me of molesting my own son. This utterly enraged me and I needed to step away. Fortunately, I took screenshots of the conversation - which was in a public channel.

I've submitted a ticket regarding this persons behavior - but I don't know what to expect to come of it. This person has continually harassed people for weeks, and for the most part we let it roll off us, but today that really hit a nerve, especially since I had to immediately remove my son from what was his "time with dad" playing Wartune. If the game's "blacklist" feature actually worked this wouldn't be an issue - but I feel this behavior goes beyond code implementation to stop it. I feel that this person is a toxic personality to the game, and should be removed.

Unfortunately I don't feel that R2 games will do anything. Call me crazy. And in light of that real possibility I might take some time away. At the very least I'll no longer be pumping $ into a game that doesn't take action against that sort of behavior.

What would you all do in this scenario? All jokes and puns aside, I'm very conflicted because I enjoy the game, but if I can't share the time with my kid when I can because of personalities like this, I don't know if it's worth playing anymore.

Thanks.

Were you playing while video chatting with the guy?How did he know the kid was in your lap? Relating personal details to complete strangers over the internet is a big NONO. Why would you even chat with a player who is a well known ******* in the first place. I'm still inclined to think this is a troll post....
    IGN: AncientEvil
    Server: EU-271+merged
    Class: Archer
    Getting less Evil and more Ancient every day.

Comment

I can never understand how people can get bullied over an internet game, just doesn't make sense to me, if it was a whole guild I could have understood it, but getting harassed by a single guy?? Let me give you a hint -> You can also swear..

Comment

Ignore him

Comment

yea just ignore him how hard can it be

Comment

Originally posted by ancev View Post
            Were you playing while video chatting with the guy?How did he know the kid was in your lap? Relating personal details to complete strangers over the internet is a big NONO. Why would you even chat with a player who is a well known ******* in the first place. I'm still inclined to think this is a troll post....
            No troll post, and no video. Many people on my server cluster are aware that when I'm playing in the afternoon and can work remote I have my kid with me. I was the person who petitioned that BloodFang be brought back because of him. He's nearly non-verbal w/ special needs (Autism-Spectrum Apraxia) and BloodFang was one of those things that really helped him get some words out, even if they were just "Woofie" and "pew pew" at the time. He loves being able to watch me play the game and has taken to interacting more with it. Even his therapist has been impressed with the amount he interacts with it.

The problem is that while he's non-verbal, he's already reading, and truth be told, we don't know how much he's taking in or not. If I could just close the chat window I'd have no problem, but I can't - and we know he's recognizing some of daddy's in-game friends. When he sees "Wardog" write something, or sees his character in a MP screen he'll point to it and say, "wuh duh." There are other's hell recognize and has approximations he'll say when he sees them. He gets pretty excited over the whole thing.

I just can't abide with someone like this dude making such insinuations. It's beyond deplorable.

Comment

Originally posted by kattuktk View Post
              I can never understand how people can get bullied over an internet game, just doesn't make sense to me, if it was a whole guild I could have understood it, but getting harassed by a single guy?? Let me give you a hint -> You can also swear..
              Actually, you can't per the ToS:

Chat

Rules Related to "Chat" and Interaction With Other Users. Communicating in-game with other Users and R2Games representatives by text or any other method, is an integral part of the Game and the Service and is referred to here as "Chat." When engaging in Chat, you may not:
              1) Transmit or post any content or language which, in the sole and absolute discretion of R2games, is deemed to be offensive, including without limitation content or language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above.

It's pretty well laid out.

Also, I don't consider this bullying. I just consider it offensive and inappropriate.
              Last edited by Zorich; 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

People on our server have been racially abused, harassed and subjected to anti-Semitism of the worst order.

The game servers are not live moderated, no one "in charge" is there to witness anything. Filing tickets with screenshots got us no where. Eventually people just quit, the tickets stop coming, and the problem seems to go away.

I feel sorry for people that spend money on this game for this reason, among others.

For your case, as a major spender you will probably receive some action if you file enough tickets.

Good luck and may you be able to put a stop to this abhorrent behaviour. We've given up.
                Lord Drake currently lives in: S130 Dragonmar

Comment

at most it's a 24 hour chat ban, lol.

also... I am pretty much guess that 95% of all players in this game have used some similar "language" in Wartune before... so what? we need to ban 95% of all players too for chating inappropriately? since when was this game so strict?

Comment

normally you have a game master on serv who are here to check this kind of behaviour and to do something... but its been a while i didnt see one on server...

Comment

As a father of 3 myself, I completely understand your point. I have had things like this happen to me before back when i played xbox live and you could actually hear the people talking. This stuff has not happened on here to me, yet. ( knock on wood). If it were me I would file tickets to at least give r2 a chance to do something about it. If they decide to do nothing then you may have to switch to a different server or quit altogether. Either way would probably solve the problem.

Comment

This is the unfortunate consequence of the human creation known as the internet. Let me first say Zorich that I am truly sorry to see somebody in this type of situation. I know it must be very difficult to see something that is helping your son with his developmental issues turn sour like this. I have often wondered why this game does not have a more robust system in place for blocking people in chat but the bottom line is that the coding just isn't there. My honest suggestion to you is to begin looking for an alternative for the times that you have your son with you. He probably connects with this game because YOU connect with and enjoy it so I would say use that fact as your starting block. In a perfect world everyone who plays this game would be of outstanding moral and ethical character and would realize that certain language or behavior should not be used or exhibited in a game which children may have access to. On the flip side it is, to an extent, unrealistic to expect that this or any other online game be made 100% child friendly since it is ultimately the parents responsibility to monitor what their children are exposed to. That being said I hope that you can, at the very least, convince R2 that this individual deserves some form of punishment/reprimand for their behavior. I do not, however, hold out any type of hope that they will act on your tickets.
                        Patryn
                        Twisted
                        S130 Dragonmar

"If you can't take brutal honesty then you are speaking to the wrong person"
                        "Touring S130....one guild at a time"

Comment

I thought you can 'switch off' world chat by just clicking guild chat. This would avoid having to see his remarks

Comment

Originally posted by R210893603 View Post
                            I thought you can 'switch off' world chat by just clicking guild chat. This would avoid having to see his remarks
                            This would work only if you have all your friends being in your guild. However this is not always the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeak42 View Post
                              This would work only if you have all your friends being in your guild. However this is not always the case.
                              Meh, last I heard on OP's server, 80% of all level 70+ are inside his guild (I saw his post on some server-merge thread)

that means most of his friends are already inside his guild.

Comment

Working...
                              X