Arena matching idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arena matching idea

Arena matching is so broken. I'm lucky if a team gets 2 wins out of 15 attempts, it is starting to get the same "why bother" reputation as battleground, because you always have to fight the really old players who are same level but 20k higher BR and 20 more stun levels higher. So, I suggest in whatever the matching formula you use now to include preferably character age or failing that server age. So, if a character is 20 months old and only level 49, then they get matched as a "level 69". This would also help with all the level 80 players, so a 3 year old level 80 player gets matched as a level 116, but a 6 month level 80 player gets matched as a level 86.

hmm this is actually a decent idea, but hard to implement. what happen if someone takes a break for 3 months? will he matched with someone who started at the same time with him? surely he has a big disadvantages for his vacuum. and since its easier to getting stronger now, new players with same level as he is will have higher br.
    Originally posted by Wraithraiser
    Welcome to R2 forums. Where quality is nonexistent and quantity is only measured in the number of whines a single day can produce.

Comment

and if nobody matches, they dump anyone on you, or you sit there waiting?

i think that's pretty much what we have now

Comment

level 86 and 116?
        how long have you play this game?
        a week?
        IGN: Kill Me
        S-385 (West Coast) - Crimson Lair

Comment

Originally posted by heuheuheu View Post
          level 86 and 116?
          how long have you play this game?
          a week?
          How dense are you?
          No one would actually display "level 116", that is just the "level" that arena and battleground would use to matching calculations.

For arena, you match with much higher and lower levels as it is now, the longer it takes for a match to be made. The longer you sit there looking for a match the wider and farther in level the servers look. And as for the rooms in battleground, instead of 10 level ranges, they might become 20 level ranges past 100. So, 70-79, 80-89, 90-99, 100-119, etc

If you leave for 3 months that would only hurt you 3 levels, which is not much. Now if you come back 3 years from now, it might be tough for you to win in arena or battleground. But, I'd rather throw that rare person under the bus (who 3 years later might as well create a new character) than 90% of the players who don't touch battleground because of the level campers.

Comment

Well arena is based on levels! Plus/minus 5 levels from higher level guy in party (but if you have 1 lvl80 guy in party all your matches will be vs lvl80 guys)! So you have two options:

1. Dont level up very fast! First max your talents for your current level then lvl up. By that way you wont have problems with stuns (or at least not so much).
            2. Dont run arena with guys which are higher level than you.
            BEYOND GODLIKE!

Comment

1) I haven't leveled up fast. And I have been maxing my stun.
              2) I always team up with other 65-69 level players.

Stun is not the issue, the issue is really old characters that have had a chance to #1 max out their sylph and #2 have the chance to get many more mounts than a newer player. When I see server S3 or Kongragate-1 for the other team, then I know that in 1 maybe 2 turns our entire team will be dead no matter what. Usually the first turn either kills everyone or maybe a couple people have 10% life left, and the damage to them is maybe 5-10%. If this isn't broken, then I don't know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by picklejuicy View Post
                1) I haven't leveled up fast. And I have been maxing my stun.
                2) I always team up with other 65-69 level players.

Stun is not the issue, the issue is really old characters that have had a chance to #1 max out their sylph and #2 have the chance to get many more mounts than a newer player. When I see server S3 or Kongragate-1 for the other team, then I know that in 1 maybe 2 turns our entire team will be dead no matter what. Usually the first turn either kills everyone or maybe a couple people have 10% life left, and the damage to them is maybe 5-10%. If this isn't broken, then I don't know what is.
                thats what people call the power of mastercard, nothing to do with matching
                THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE'S JUST ME.

Comment

Originally posted by picklejuicy View Post
                  So, I suggest in whatever the matching formula you use now to include preferably character age or failing that server age.
                  I agree, though using BR and level, strike's me as more accurate.

Wartune has changed, yet the matching system remains a fossil from wartune's cretaceous period, where size and level may once have been the same, but no longer.
                  Sadly, any attempt to tier Arena and BG by BR (e.g. class A, B, C), would probably need more players than currently available.
                  Poor player retention, I suspect, is linked directly to the lack of BR tiering needed to protect players from the sadistic level camper instigated wedgie-fest awaiting them - so they quit. Oh, the irony.

Years of level camping, and globulating cash mechanics all over the game, have taken their toll. Since cross-server matching was implemented, joining a new server wont help. It's become a game exclusive to slow levellers and level campers. I've never played a game with such a diabolical retention rate amongst it's new players. Still, by completely ignoring the issue and cobbling on a few more cash mechanics, there may yet be an even faster way into this greedy corner they seem to be designing themselves into.

Comment

Double post removed.
                    Last edited by oojar4; 06-29-2014, 05:23 AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

I agree with a lot of what's been said regarding ridiculous matching. There are level 64 players with 100k BR, which is ridiculous when it comes to matching in bg or Arena.

It would be much better if Arena matchings were based solely on total BR of your entire team, and not count level at all, since level means squat at this point.
                      My inner sociopath ate your inner child.

Comment

Originally posted by Lasseg View Post
                        I agree with a lot of what's been said regarding ridiculous matching. There are level 64 players with 100k BR, which is ridiculous when it comes to matching in bg or Arena.

It would be much better if Arena matchings were based solely on total BR of your entire team, and not count level at all, since level means squat at this point.
                        The big problem I see with this suggestion is when a high BR player is with 2 lower BR players. If a 160k BR and 2 40k BR players team up, they could meet 3 80k BR players and the balanced team will get crushed.

Comment

if it involves any amount of programming, it won't happen. r2 buys it premade and dumps it out that way. they are in the business of buying ads and selling intangible goods, not programming

Comment

Originally posted by krzywon View Post
                            The big problem I see with this suggestion is when a high BR player is with 2 lower BR players. If a 160k BR and 2 40k BR players team up, they could meet 3 80k BR players and the balanced team will get crushed.
                            You match based on the largest player, not the sum of the players. Using BR in arena would work, but not in battleground. In BG, you could remove your sylph/equipment/astrals to drop your BR, then put them back on once you are in your matched room. Unless they disable all the icons on the bottom except exit from battleground. It would also help to limit battleground entrance to only 2 times a day, or stop giving honor (only can lose honor) if you have no more attempts left.

Comment

Originally posted by noob9841 View Post
                              and if nobody matches, they dump anyone on you, or you sit there waiting?

i think that's pretty much what we have now
                              Yes, if no one within your level is matched to you at that moment, the system gives you anyone it's seen at that particular moment.

I've had time were I win fifteen(15) times in arena and there times that I don't win at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X