Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining L4 gems into a L5 - when to do it and when not

Here's my situation.

I'm an archer, so I know PATK is disproportionately important.

I just got my 4th PATK L4 gem generated. Currently the other 3 are all socketed already. I do NOT Balen, so all I have it the default sockets. My other sockets besides the 3 filled with PATK are filled with other L4 gems--MDEF, HP, Crit, PDEF. I have some other unused L4 gems, but currently only the PATK has the 4 needed for a L5 gem.

Which sounds like good news if PATK is indeed the most important one for my class, right?

But... I got to thinking on it. I know each Level 4 PATK gem is +112. So three socketed at once is +336. Whereas if I change those 3 and my new one into a L5 gem, while I get two new open sockets to put some additional MDEF or HP L4s in, I DO not have a 5th PATK, so I know I'd actually be losing effective PATK (I don't know the actual + value of a single L5 PATK gem, but I doubt its anywhere near +336--I bet its going to be more in the range of 200, right?)

What have others done in this circumstance?

This could apply equally to mages and MATK gems, I bet, with the same kind of numbers. What do you do at this tipping point, where you'd open slots by making a L5 of your most useful gem, but can't fill those open slots with more of the same type yet? Could the loss of that PATK for me, or MATK for a mage, possibly be counterbalanced by some extra HP or defense of some type? I'm skeptical. L5 gems sound like a trap almost, at least until you have LOTS of extra L4s of the same prime type to fill in the opened slots.

Wait til the next patch comes out, you'll get more gems through conversion.
    The Last Remnant OSTs Go!!!

{OuO**

Comment

For the record, lvl 5 gem gave 176 PATK.

Comment

Working...
      X