Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Guide] How to be strong for your level (Slow leveling)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Guide] How to be strong for your level (Slow leveling)

OK. Time to update. Both the thread and my game play stance.

This thread, from my point of view has always been focused on slow levelling and not camping. That is to say: selective XP acceptance. It was never my intention to promote permanently camping at any one particular level. This thread was intended to help people realise that they can slow down for a few months, a year and fix up their character to a competitive basis, before moving on up to the next bracket.

The recent changes in the game have made the theory of slow levelling near enough impossible. There is no way to effectively slow level, short of actually stopping, which is not what this thread was about in the first place.

The game right now, is very generous in their hand out of XP, which in my opinion, is not always in a developing characters best interest. The speed at which a new character can hit level 80 right now, is an insanely short time frame.

So given that:
    • I have now been level 80, for the best part of 3 months or so,
    • the game is not recognisable in comparison to the game start point I started with, My choices in the early game days were viable, as time has progressed, those choices have become more difficult to apply in game,
    • the ever increasing pressure in game to level through event XP and enforced bonus's
    • to catch up and keep up effectively requires a massive amount of $ expenditure

We can extrapolate several things:

1) Camping is a viable game option, on the only proviso that you intend to completely stop at a predesignated level of your choice, cash a lot, not screw up and accept any XP from anywhere, and basically rule the roost at a level that is not 80. In the long run, you will be out performed by new characters that level above you. Those that advance, out perform those that sit stationary.
    2) If you intend to play the game to level 80 and beyond - slow levelling is probably not the most effective way any more. Slow levelling has it's place in my opinion: for example to earn certain titles and honour totals, easier than at 80: but beyond that: Get to 50, get your 50 Legend set, Move to 70 & get your 70 Legend set, move to 80, rinse and repeat.

This thread has an incredible number of replies & views. I am amazed every time I visit here and see the totals. I hope that it has helped people, even if that help has only been to decide against slow levelling in their character development.

I don't know how much longer I shall be playing the game. For now, I am still active on R2 S5, see you in the Euro CW, XSGB and XSBG.

This guide is brought to you with the assistance of CreamySaucepan. A dirty cheating haxxor. But I lurves her. I can’t help myself.

The link to this guide so you can share it with your friends: forum.r2games.com/showthread.php?63293-GUIDE-How-to-be-strong-for-your-level-%28Slow-levelling%29

There are two ways to play Wartune in our opinion.

The first way is to rush for the top: To be the first to achieve every accolade: Biggest, strongest, highest defence, highest rank etc. While there is nothing wrong with this playstyle, to maintain that #1 position eventually is gonna start costing you balens. Lots of balens. More balens than I can afford to throw at this game. The other problem is that with a new server - playing this style is fine within the realms of your server. It instantly becomes a problem as soon as the cross server things come into play and you discover that there are others your level, with much stronger builds as they've gone slower.

The other way is to take your time and play at a slower pace. You get time to prepare in advance your gear, plan your build. Learn from others about strengths and weaknesses of new maps, gear, boss's etc - without having to be the guinea pig working it all out. Level has its advantages - in that as you advance, you open up new gear, troops etc. But overall - we think slower leveling is more rewarding and has a slower burnout potential.

This list of ideas is to show you ideas and suggestions regarding how you can level more slowly, and thus build more strongly than your same level peers. We decided to split it into two sections. The first section will deal with ideas that everyone can utilise. The second part (in post number 2) will deal with more items that are more specific to cashers.

Section 1: Ideas for Everyone:
    • Goals: Set yourself some mini goals to achieve. Be positive about reaching them. It’s important that you set something achievable. Rather than set your sights on #1 on the lists - set yourself a BR goal to hit before the next level. For example, at the time of writing Ginger was trying to achieve a 38500 BR, before he hit level 49. Other ideas for goals: Aim to get an astral leveled up, or a certain BR total, or maybe a guild skill done. Once you have your goal decided, put everything into achieving it!

• Plan Ahead: Look into purchasing your armour sets (or the components of them) in advance. Purchase your rings and jewels in advance too! This gives you time, potentially to have them enchanted to the max level, fully socketed & refined, before you get to the level required to wear them. Then it's simply a case of swapping your gems over and you're away! Decide which skills you're gonna concentrate on in advance.

• Avoiding Unnecessary Experience: I think it's pretty obvious to say that to level up slower, you need to avoid unnecessary experience. Take for example the guild tree: Huge amounts of experience, for very little return. Sure energise the guild tree as soon as it spawns - but then leave the guild chamber. Likewise don't do more than you need to of the daily quests, pick and chose the ones that benefit you most, or return least xp. Don't do the spire, don't do the bounty quests, or again if you have to pick the white ones that return the least experience.

• Battlegrounds - A Gem Fest: Most players scramble for honour. While it's true a higher honour title allows for a better medallion, which in turn increases BR. We personally prefer to look at the other asset of BG - carting! You only get your first two runs per day to cart. If you keep your head down and remain inconspicuous, you can probably average enough crystals for 2 chests from the BG's. If you're lucky, that's approaching a level 5 gem every 2 weeks.

• Gems: So maxed out all your gems? Don't want to buy 3 types of level 6 transposer to continue upgrading? Buy one transposer type, then use the blacksmith to convert them to the sort you actually want.

• The Catacombs: are a fantastic source of gems and are pretty much exclusively the only source of crypt tokens. Much as I hate the huge experience rewards - I do love the other glittering prizes. I tend to limit my catacomb runs heavily. Though if I stay at a level longer than I plan to - I tend to party in the catacombs, earning extra gems and crypt tokens. For the daily devotion for the catacombs - you only need to enter the catacombs, there is no requirement to complete a level or anything. So you can just enter and leave.

• The Tormented Necropolis: is a source of higher level gem Transposers & heavy volumes of XP. When you enter the Necropolis for the first time, spend the three keys and try to get as far as you can. Once you die, hit the respawn button and leave. When you re-enter with an extra BR chunk later on, you re-enter where you respawned last time with no key cost. There is no point wasting keys until you're sure you can get the rewards.

• Farming: Depending on how much time you have to log in and sit behind a computer all day: depends how effective your farm can be. Hourly seeds are more productive than the 4 hour seeds - so if you can do hourly seeds all day - do. Also I tend to steal only the 4 hour seeds as you get more return for your click.

• The Academy: While it may not seem it at first, it eventually forms a big factor in your strength. Its potential keeps increasing as you level up. Particularly once you reach level 41 & unlock the Academy Blessing Wheel. However: It takes a lot of kyanite (and time for non VIP) to max out, especially once you open up the advanced academy page, slow leveling helps this process as you’ll get more kyanite and time per level.

• The Academy Blessing Wheel: The Blessing Wheel costs 2k a spin, and each sequential spin eventually maxes out at a 200% boost to your Academy boost. This is a massive boost. For Creamy at the time of this edit: It formed a 5.5K+ BR boost.

• Refine your gear: Your gear comes (most of the time) with 5 random stats assigned to it. These are the usual suspects, attack, defence, HP etc. These stats add to your BR and contribute to your build. Refining these stats can make a chip in the window into a great big crack. Properly refined gear helps. For example - a mage using will destroyer has no need of any crit - refining will let you remove the crit and replace it something else. Refinement crystal shortage? Try using some excess insignias to purchase the 300 insignia brooch from the arena shop, recycle it for a refinement roll!

• Astrals: A major gold sink hole. Astrals can form a significant portion of your battle rating. As such it’s important to keep spending gold on them, be it in huge chunks over days, or a little bit everyday. This will keep them leveling up and making them stronger. There are many guides here about the best way to capture astrals, as such, I’m not going to expand on that here. But simply leave it at: you should spend more gold on astrals.

• Guild Skills: Like astrals, this is also a major sink hole for gold. Again like astrals and also like your academy, your guild skills eventually tally up to form a significant chunk in your battle prowess. They are however limited by the level of your guild. So at the risk of sounding quite shallow, a higher level guild is advisable for when you take the time to concentrate on these.

• Daily Check In: Everyday online rewards you. Either through checking in enough days of the month or through the daily devotion system, with extra spins.

• World Boss. The single biggest source of gold and daru in the game. Attend as many of these as you can. Gold is the most important commodity in the game, the game revolves around gold. I can’t stress enough how important gold is to maintaining character development. A quick tip for WB: initially - put your troops in front of you to tank for you. They'll buy you time to deal damage to the WB. Once you hit about 8k MDEF & ~25k HP, try tanking the WB, put yourself in front, you should last all 6 hits & your troops will earn you a few extra k as they'll survive. (Credit to yeayah for reminding me of this)

• In need of some extra gold? Got a load of insignia sitting around? Purchase a load of lvl 3 XP books from the arena shop. A bargain at 10 insignia each it's quite cheap to get 100 of them (1k insignia). Then sell them. That's a quick easy 200k gold in your back pocket.

• Solo and MP Dungeons. Running dungeons that are a lower level than your character, reduces the amount of xp they give. At level 59 I tend to run Delphinian Swamp & Buradoths Grave or The Graveyard & Void, as they give very little xp and high yield rewards. Such as Bound Balens or Legendary stones...

• The Free Balens Button: There is some respite for the non spender with the 'get free balens' button - now while this is not perfect for everyone as it is quite region/country specific - I can supplement my account with as many as 30 or 40 balens a day, just watching videos. Although it probably averages around 18 to 20 or so a day. The one off offers are also very good - especially if they have things you're after, or if it's just a questionnaire where you can lie through your teeth about everything. However I would offer some advice when doing these offers: firstly use a dummy email, and never give out accurate personal information, avoid anything that wants to install anything or download to your computer.

• Spire & Tower of Kings: If you set up a party by yourself, click the start button and confirm that it's hard and designed for a party: You end up in a small preparation area. If you exit from the preparation area using the exit button at the bottom right of the screen: you get your daily devotion or 10 shadow souls for no XP. There is discussion that you can play The Spire, get the rewards and avoid the XP - However we have been unable to replicate the outcome in our testing.

• Circuit Quests: Possibly the most boring (and at times frustrating) part of the game, the rewards are actually very good for the slow leveling. No XP, gold, daru as well as all the bits you earn for doing the quests, 50+ get lots of sylph essence. Thanks to Taylorina, here, for the reminder.
    Last edited by GingerTheHutt; 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM.
    Originally posted by CreamySaucepan
    You are just a freakozoid... Monster of Frankenstein meets Jabba the Hutt... Frabba the Huttstein... :P
    Behind every fat Space Slug is a blood thirsty sociopath urging it on.

Section 2: Ideas for Cashers/Balenors:
    • Being a VIP: is a great way to help reduce your experience gain. Yes VIP adds to your experience gain in places - but more importantly, from level 3 onward it adds a bonus to your daily devotion total. This initially allows you to skip on completing the bounty quests and the daily quests portion of your devotion. VIP continually rises as long as you keep up the payments and so does the daily devotion contribution as you ascend the VIP ranks. This makes it possible to skip on all the experience heavy portions of your day. Daily quests, 10 solo arena challenges & bounty quests.

• VIP Weekly Gift Pack and VIP Wheel: These are a god send! I feel many players overlook the value of the gift pack. I love the soul crystals, the VIP tokens and the skeleton keys! Soul crystals add to your gems effectiveness through the soul engraving (a small bonus but it very quickly adds up), the skeleton keys open chests and also allow you to farm the summoners (for legendary stones / crystaloids) later in the game and finally the VIP tokens give access to the VIP wheel. Many people dismiss the VIP wheel as being useless and rigged. While I agree it's rigged - it's also a fantastic opportunity to the slow leveler. I keep refreshing the wheel till I find a wheel with 1 or less shadow crystals and 580k gold - the gold is guaranteed - so that's a nice boost toward your guild skills or astrals. Also, there's also a low chance you can get a low level gem (usually level 2) out of the wheel on an irregular basis.

• So you're planning your legendary gear: you already have the loids purchased and working on the stones: However you've realised that enchanting the gear up is gonna take a lot o gold. Save up your VIP tokens. Then when the day comes: pop on a City Protection Token, and start VIP wheel rolling.

• Wings and Clothing: Wings add a beefy boost to your BR, and can be levelled up further to increase said boost. Clothes provide initial starting rage, and also can be levelled up to further increase that starting rage benefit. Increased starting rage, combined with a strong build is a devastating combination.

• Mounts: The wonderful thing about mounts is that their stats stack. So if there is an event going on where you can get a special mount, and you do not mind spending your balens to be able to ride something funky, consider going for that mount. Or buy one from the shop.
    Last edited by GingerTheHutt; 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM.
    You are just a freakozoid... Monster of Frankenstein meets Jabba the Hutt... Frabba the Huttstein... :P

Comment

Section 3: Slow Leveling After Level 50

So I'm currently level 64 and still (mostly) slow leveling. There are many who disagree with my style of play. Especially now at my level.

However there were and still are some significant changes to my basic play style. Whilst in my early 50's, I did Garden of Death NM mode (full key run) daily to achieve my 50 set, and max my HS, as soon as possible. Maxing HS early in your 50's is great, especially if you intend to do BG's. The level 10 HS, means no one can stun you till they're level 62 or 63, when the HS ceiling rises above 10 for the first time. Also the onset of the talent system is a great opportunity to offset your XP. Leveling talents cost XP and gold. So it's a slow levelers dream.

That said once you get above 63 and the HS ceiling rises, the basic premise of slow leveling gets more difficult to justify. I slow level because I don't like to feel that my XP gain is just for the sake of XP. Particularly with large volumes of XP (Spire and ToK nominally), until you get to the higher levels, the rewards are pretty minimal in my opinion.

That said, above 63, everything is a HS fest. There's very little pride or honour in the majority of players from my experience. So if you intend to slow level post 63, you should expect to spend a lot of time sat stunned.

Personally, once I turned 60, I rushed (relatively) straight to 64, and maxed my HS as soon as I could. I did Moonevil Den NM runs daily till I got my full set and I did/still do a full catacombs key run daily. So my EXP gain per day has been in the 2mil range. Compared to a more regular player, this is minimal XP per day. compared to some of my previous levels, 2mil a day is like a rocket. So it's relative.

To put this in to perspective with a time frame: I leveled to lvl 60 in mid November 2013. I hit 64, in early January 2014. It's now early April, and I have 2 talent levels left before I level to 65. So based on my current XP gain, ~2months or so left before I make the jump up.

Once I hit 65, I'll relatively rush (again) straight to 69, max my HS (eventually), which will take some time admittedly, max my talents out and then move on to 70.

However, there is the problematic factor of boredom creeping in. If I get bored in the meantime, I can always level earlier than planned and do some of the things I generally avoid in game, to 'spice things up a bit.'

Section 4: Pros and Cons of Slow Leveling

So, to the real nitty gritty. Is it really worth it?
      Unfortunately I can't answer that for you. It's a question that the answer will vary for every single player.
      To make an informed decision, you really need to weigh up all the good points and all the bad points.

So The Pro's:
      • 3v3 Arena & BG's are pretty easy. There's not really any struggle (either to cart or gain honour), unless you come up against another slow leveler.
      • MPD's are also pretty easy: rather than struggle to find a team, you'll find yourself more often than not, as the backbone of the team.
      • Daily Plunders are not usually a problem: You should be able to defend against most who can plunder you.
      • GB's: you're an ace in the hole. Most people will ignore a 'low level' since you 'don't do much damage' or they may attack you thinking that you're an easy kill for the tower you're holding. However once they get smart to you: they'll send bigger players to deal with you.
      • For your level: there will be very few who can compete with you in any part of the game.
      • Guild skills & academy will completed at a lower level than most. This gives you time and resources to concentrate on other things:
      • Astrals will be better than most your level due to the extra time you've spent on them.
      • You'll probably be able to manage better refines too: due to the time spent farming lower level dungeons.
      • Lots of lower level people or other slow levelers will want to talk about to you about how you got so strong.
      • Because you understand that you're not number 1, and you don't aspire to be number 1. There is a lower sense of competitive stress about your game play. If you miss an event or two: it's not a big deal.
      • Time 'required' to play daily is less due to less activities to gain XP from.

The Con's:
      • 3v3 Arena & BG's after level ~60ish become a HS party. There is no pride in a build. It's a who can stun each other competition.
      • GB's: you'll probably encounter a lot of stun.
      • High Exp activities are not really on your agenda: Spire & ToK are not going to be regular or often. Thus when you come to actually do it: you'll potentially struggle to find a team to assist you through Easy or Normal (especially so in ToK.)
      • People in general dislike losing: you'll probably get called names. Not all of them will be ignorable either.
      • Lots of people will want to talk about to you about how you got so strong. Expect a lot of dumb questions.
      • You'll never be #1. Sure you might come close with balens on WB, or even #1 G.M. But in terms of the big red shiny titles: you won't be the strongest warrior unless you heavily cash.
      • Misclicking and accepting a lot of XP through a quest, helping or accidentally stealing XP from a friends farm really hurts.
      • Being offline for 24 hours or more and coming back to find 'rested XP,' sucks big time.
      • Your gear is limited by your level. Regular players will get better gear than yourself, much quicker.
      • World Prosperity on an established server: Really sucks for slow leveling.
      • Everything takes time to achieve.

If anyone can see anything I've missed off either list, please either PM me or post in the thread. Thankyou.
      Last edited by GingerTheHutt; 04-04-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Great Great Great guide! i started a new server about a month or so ago and am currently lvl 47 with 25k br, been deciding whether i should try catch up with the #1 lvl 50-56's or should i stay below 50 and get crusader+ (knight or elite crusader) and get higher gems and get both 40 legend jewels (have both legend rings) or should i just skip on to lvl 50 ? any advice would be great

Comment

Originally posted by Gorey View Post
          Great Great Great guide! i started a new server about a month or so ago and am currently lvl 47 with 25k br, been deciding whether i should try catch up with the #1 lvl 50-56's or should i stay below 50 and get crusader+ (knight or elite crusader) and get higher gems and get both 40 legend jewels (have both legend rings) or should i just skip on to lvl 50 ? any advice would be great
          BÖss, I take it? \o/ It depends, really. Not everyone likes slow leveling, and it can be a bit boring at times. You could consider staying below 50, stop gaining XP, and try to farm as much of the stuff to make lvl 50 legendary gear? Rings and Jewels are easiest, then gear, maybe? Slow leveling would always be my advice. You could try it to see if it suits you.

Edit: oh, and slowing down (lots!) gives you time to save up Daru, so once you hit 50, your new troops can be as high as you can get them. Level 50 instantly, preferably.
          Last edited by CreamySaucepan; 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM. Reason: had a light-bulb moment.

Comment

Staying below 50

You'll suffer in the WB stakes - as gold will be slower gained than compared to levelling up.
            you'll be ahead in the BG/3v3 stakes - as you won't be the weakest in a bracket - rather one of the stronger in your bracket.
            The level 40 legend gear is nice and will be a fine addition.

Above 50

You still have a chance at that fabled #1 spot.
            access to better gear & more skills.
            you'll get slaughtered in BG/3v3 as 25k is average at best for the low 50's range.
            You'll be behind potentially in the gear stakes - level 50 rings, jewels, legendary gear, level 55 PvP gear and then holy seal - is a lot of gold needed.

I can't think of anything else right now... I'm sure Creamy has ideas too.

Edit: How's your Academy? if it's not maxed - slowing down gives that a chance to catch up and the academy is a substantial boost when maxed.
            Last edited by GingerTheHutt; 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CreamySaucepan View Post
              BÖss, I take it? \o/ It depends, really. Not everyone likes slow leveling, and it can be a bit boring at times. You could consider staying below 50, stop gaining XP, and try to farm as much of the stuff to make lvl 50 legendary gear? Rings and Jewels are easiest, then gear, maybe? Slow leveling would always be my advice. You could try it to see if it suits you.
              Yeah that's me. I've slow leveled on a mage similar to yours but my br was around 30k and i was close to knight cruader but i wasnt happy with the mistakes id made up to that point so started a new server. I enjoy the slow leveling though, to me it will lengthen out the time il play instead of hitting level 60 and getting bored then!

Just wanted to know should i bother getting level 40 legendary jewel set and wasting the 800 cata tokens for the shards or should i keep both the wizards realm jewel's which are fully socketed? I can stay till elite crusader then and farm for 50 gear?

Comment

Yeah that's me. I've slow leveled on a mage similar to yours but my br was around 30k and i was close to knight cruader but i wasnt happy with the mistakes id made up to that point so started a new server. I enjoy the slow leveling though, to me it will lengthen out the time il play instead of hitting level 60 and getting bored then!

Just wanted to know should i bother getting level 40 legendary jewel set and wasting the 800 cata tokens for the shards or should i keep both the wizards realm jewel's which are fully socketed? I can stay till elite crusader then and farm for 50 gear?
                I'd get the 50 gear personally. you're already 47.

Comment

Originally posted by GingerTheHutt View Post
                  I'd get the 50 gear personally. you're already 47.
                  i was hoping to do a resemblance of your account except as an archer, or is it too late for me to do that or is it only smart to do with a mage build?

Comment

i was hoping to do a resemblance of your account except as an archer, or is it too late for me to do that or is it only smart to do with a mage build?
                    Well.

It wouldn't be impossible - it would be more difficult than if you had started at the same time as me and it'll take more time. This is because a lot of my accounts strength comes from my VIP level (as discussed above and avoiding experience) and that world prosperity wasn't in force for a lot of the slow levelling I have done. World prosperity is a PITA right now - so you'd have to start on a new server to avoid it/have it at a lower level as long as possible. Starting again on an established server I think would be very difficult.

I think it's a well chewed topic about the various classes and their relative strengths weakness's - so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible. Look at MadArch - he's a level 48 to 50 or so archer and 38k BR too...

Comment

I understand it will take alot longer for me to get the 38k BR and il have to cut out all my experience gain's in order to get it before i hit level 50.

At the moment my world's prosperity is at 22%, i'm also 428/500 VIP 3 so 72 off VIP 4. I understand VIP 5 with capture astral is a huge bonus but i can work towards that as im working most days anyways so it will add up.

so i should get vip 5 for astrals
                      get 40 legendary jewels and rings( have rings).
                      make sure i get limited Xp gains.
                      farm gems in BG and cata
                      max academy
                      anything else?

Thanks for this by the way ginger!

Comment

I understand it will take alot longer for me to get the 38k BR and il have to cut out all my experience gain's in order to get it before i hit level 50.

At the moment my world's prosperity is at 22%, i'm also 428/500 VIP 3 so 72 off VIP 4. I understand VIP 5 with capture astral is a huge bonus but i can work towards that as im working most days anyways so it will add up.

so i should get vip 5 for astrals
                        get 40 legendary jewels and rings( have rings).
                        make sure i get limited Xp gains.
                        farm gems in BG and cata
                        max academy
                        anything else?

Thanks for this by the way ginger!
                        Click the astrals manually. you get a better return in my opinion.
                        Get the 50 gear. you can probably have it levelled and ready for wearing by the time you hit 50.

Have fun doing it!

Comment

I can't agree with you, especially I can't agree you convince people skip guild tree. If you think you have a large amount "extra" experience you don't wanna, just consume it on "talents", that is.

Monkey King [S3] US EAST
                          Character Name: Ghang

Wartune [S67] US EAST
                          Character Name: Halifax

Comment

Originally posted by GingerTheHutt View Post
                            Click the astrals manually. you get a better return in my opinion.
                            This isn't just an opinion. I want to make it clear, you absolutely do get much better returns by clicking manually. One click is broken in a bad way, so you're actually hurting your character by using it.

Comment

Originally posted by R25664847 View Post
                              I can't agree with you, especially I can't agree you convince people skip guild tree. If you think you have a large amount "extra" experience you don't wanna, just consume it on "talents", that is.
                              Difficult for a player below level 50 to sink unwanted experience into talents...

Comment

Working...
                              X